Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,150,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim10 View Post
I disagree. From a statistical perspective, 89134 is and has been an outlier in determining benchmark prices.
On what basis?

It is the model of the more expensive, move up and high end home....

It is an outlier perhaps in that it was not churned to any place near the same extent as those places with extensive new build in 2004 to 2007. Than again that is true of 2/3 of the valley. And its behavior will be very much the same as 89012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 PM

100 posts, read 180,439 times
Default Re:

Very simple basis. The impact of foreclosures have not hit 89134 but have in every other zip code. From a behaviourial standpoint, its not going to be reflective of current benchmark prices for foreclosure impacted areas (which is the underlying assumption).

If one is measuring how much foreclosures will hit prices in the upper end market assuming foreclosures of mid to upper increases, one would not select a region which has not been hit as indicative.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,309,746 times
property is not a liability, debt is. banks know that.
too bad owners could not figure that out.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim10 View Post
Very simple basis. The impact of foreclosures have not hit 89134 but have in every other zip code. From a behaviourial standpoint, its not going to be reflective of current benchmark prices for foreclosure impacted areas (which is the underlying assumption).

If one is measuring how much foreclosures will hit prices in the upper end market assuming foreclosures of mid to upper increases, one would not select a region which has not been hit as indicative.

Not true. There are a dozen zip codes hit less or around the same as 89134. There are as well around a half dozen with similar housing values. In fact none of the high end zip codes are hit significantly worse than 89134 except the only actually hard hit and still suffering high end zip 89084. (Did not look at LLV which also may be there)

The zips suffering most...though not all that badly compared to the peak...are the borders to the high end...128,129,117,108

Not suggesting these places have not taken a substantial economic hit...the have many being down by 40% to 50%. But they are flat to slowly increasing over the last months.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 AM

9,707 posts, read 11,113,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

"Las Vegas will likely do its own thing...as it did on the way down".
"Las Vegas will likely do its own thing"... I'm not buying it.

Every single metro area has it's own personality as to how it inflated and deflated. And each zip code within that metro area has variations as well. But it was universal that prices got out of control with cheap risky borrowing that drove up demand. Land, labor, profits, and material prices went up by a lot. Now land, labor, profits, and material prices have come down by a lot.

Wealth has disappeared and there are forces in play that makes it harder to borrow money (especially creative financing). While I appreciate the fact that Vegas real estate is a playground for the wealthy(er), it's not immune to the realities of our economy in November 2009.

The folks writing the articles tend to look at the big picture (will unemployment go up or down, how many people are behind payments, what is happening to the cost of energy, what will the impact be on the "next shoe to drop", are loan mods working, is interest rates being held down and what's the impact.

You only seem to only look at a few of variables with blinders on: sales volume, inventory, unemployment and resale prices. In other words, you have a street view. That's an important viewpoint. While I'd be happy to take your opinions on what neighborhoods are good or bad, what HOA's are in trouble etc, I don't trust your ability to estimate future pricing or demand.

Expensive homes in Vegas will have the same forces tugging on them as the rest of the nation. Some zip codes which have been beaten down and might be done depreciating while the average market may have more to go (like is predicted in the rest of the country). Unless of course the laws of economics and psychology don't apply to the city of Las Vegas.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,947,640 times
I attended a housing out look seminar last week and well known and respected analyst stated that highend home prices will start coming down and put pressure on middle income home prices to continue to go down as well. Right now according the todays Washington journal states that 1 in 4 home owners are underwater in their mortgages. Click on the link I have provided:
One in Four Borrowers Is Underwater - WSJ.com

Old 11-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
"Las Vegas will likely do its own thing"... I'm not buying it.

Every single metro area has it's own personality as to how it inflated and deflated. And each zip code within that metro area has variations as well. But it was universal that prices got out of control with cheap risky borrowing that drove up demand. Land, labor, profits, and material prices went up by a lot. Now land, labor, profits, and material prices have come down by a lot.
There was wide variation in the LV price behavior. Some places went up less than 30% and came down about the same. Others more than doubled and came down worse than that.

some metros moved up very little...and as a result have come down very little. Many in TX for instance.

There was some exuberance everywhere...but in some places it was quite small. In others it dominated the market (Vegas for example)

Quote:
Wealth has disappeared and there are forces in play that makes it harder to borrow money (especially creative financing). While I appreciate the fact that Vegas real estate is a playground for the wealthy(er), it's not immune to the realities of our economy in November 2009.

The folks writing the articles tend to look at the big picture (will unemployment go up or down, how many people are behind payments, what is happening to the cost of energy, what will the impact be on the "next shoe to drop", are loan mods working, is interest rates being held down and what's the impact.

You only seem to only look at a few of variables with blinders on: sales volume, inventory, unemployment and resale prices. In other words, you have a street view. That's an important viewpoint. While I'd be happy to take your opinions on what neighborhoods are good or bad, what HOA's are in trouble etc, I don't trust your ability to estimate future pricing or demand.

Expensive homes in Vegas will have the same forces tugging on them as the rest of the nation. Some zip codes which have been beaten down and might be done depreciating while the average market may have more to go (like is predicted in the rest of the country). Unless of course the laws of economics and psychology don't apply to the city of Las Vegas.
Well of course I look mostly at LV...this is the LV list after all. The indications are and remain that middle to upper homes did their own thing and will recover in their own fashion. I opine in fact that they were, in general, less involved than the mass produced tracts...went up less and came down in a much more orderly fashion. There are of course exceptions...some expensive tracts in Summerlin and elsewhere were epicenter...inflated outrageously and got bombed when the decline hit. But the vast majority of say 89134 did not show that pattern.

I would also note that the primary driver of price right now appears to be the classic sale. The short and bank owned have now been mostly stable to increasing slightly for a while but there is still some movenment downard in the classics. It is offset by the small upward movement in the REOs.

That movement however shows no higher end drive. Appears more low end classic than anything. Which makes sense as the REO pressure is at the lower end.

We will see. I see little changing from where we are now before spring...then we see what next.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:28 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,445,877 times
Well, this is interesting.

Fannie Mae won't consider investors' offers on foreclosures for first 15 days on the market.

Fannie Looks to Level Foreclosed-Home Playing Field - WSJ.com

Old 11-24-2009, 04:24 PM

549 posts, read 1,378,777 times
Here is my link to add for the day:

U.S. Cities With The Most Underwater Mortgages - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Well, this is interesting.

Fannie Mae won't consider investors' offers on foreclosures for first 15 days on the market.

Fannie Looks to Level Foreclosed-Home Playing Field - WSJ.com
Could be helpful to the owner occupant...bit I would wait a while. Much of the problem was that investors were willing to pay more. This does fix that.

Still have had banks turn down FHA listings for FHA mortgages...so it may all not be so simple. HUD houses with FHA insurable status are turned down so routinely that the HUD brokers have stopped taking FHA offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas