Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,231 times

Advertisements

What a waste of money, most likely will be a lot of almost empty trains and then they ask for more dollars... it sounds like a sales tax hike to me. wake up people in calif. and now nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Zod

32 posts, read 72,214 times
A lot of people drive here from So Cal and a lot of those are afraid to fly. I've ridden on a high speed train overseas. It was very comfortable and actually enjoyable. The aisles were wide, tons of legroom, large windows (there wouldn't be much to see in the desert, but still), a smooth ride. Harry Reid's choice for a slower train to Victorville would be a waste though, like the decision not to extend the monorail to either downtown or the airport (BRILLIANT!). It has to be mag lev.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:46 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
It would require too much federal dough...to benefit basically only two cities...LV and LA. Reid will have to have some blackmail info on The President to get this through...because we already know what Obama thinks of Las Vegas.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,317 times
I personally love riding trains ... and always look there first as a travel option.

Trains make so much sense as an investment
Not everyone belongs behind the wheel and even great drivers could use a break.
If train travel is supported .. less people may be on the road .. the roads may need less maintenance.
Fewer accidents alone could be a good reason .. not to mention less pollution.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Trains are great...ideally it would go to somewhere desireable in L.A., like the BEACH! Of course, with one stop like in a Victorville.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
High speed rail works in Japan and those European countries because of the spacing and density of their urban centers. It also works in the Easter Corridor of the USA, Boston-NYC-Washington. Amtrak has a train that hits about 250kph for brief stretches on that route. That's slower than the 300-350kph hit by European and Asian trains, but it's at least something.

I have my doubts about how well it would work when the urban centers are as far apart as they would be for the ones proposed out west.
I want to see better than what we have in the USA. I get jealous and angry when I see other places that have all of that stuff and over here in the USA, we aren't doing it. All of the stuff in Europe and Japan(high-speed rail, Eurail, other kinds of rail) would help me very much.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Default The tourists will decide that and when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
Harry Reid's choice for a slower train to Victorville would be a waste though, like the decision not to extend the monorail to either downtown or the airport (BRILLIANT!).
As more and more cities install light rail in their cities, with connections to the Airport, the time will come when tourists will come to expect that as a benefit to traveling to any city. Just like expecting a microwave, hair dryer or refrigerator in their hotel rooms.

Pressure from tourists will get light rail or the monorail extension, eventually to the Airport. When enough tourists arrive here, leave the terminal, and there's no train waiting for them, they'll stand there with bewildered looks on their faces, wondering: Where's the train?

Enough shame and embarrassment will get it built, despite the cries and howls of the voters. And a monorail extension to Fremont.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I want to see better than what we have in the USA. I get jealous and angry when I see other places that have all of that stuff and over here in the USA, we aren't doing it. All of the stuff in Europe and Japan(high-speed rail, Eurail, other kinds of rail) would help me very much.
I share that same feeling. I lived in Asia for years - and South America and Europe...and it really bothers me that the mass majority of even poverty stricken countries have significantly better public transportation than my home country of the U.S.

It bothers me more that most Americans claim to be this great country, but it is lacking in so many of the basics that are found everywhere else in the world.

The list of shortcomings get over so longer, and the fact that there seems to be this movement of Americans who prefer that we became more lacking in more and more things bothers me as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I share that same feeling. I lived in Asia for years - and South America and Europe...and it really bothers me that the mass majority of even poverty stricken countries have significantly better public transportation than my home country of the U.S.
Yeah, well, I bet you never pull up to an intersection in any of those countries and see a Hummer H2, Escalade ESV, and an F450 Crew Cab dually, all at the same time, something I see all the time in Las Vegas. That's the choice we made, right?

I've ridden the BTS (elevated train) and MRT (subway) in Bangkok. Ticketing is done with RFID cards for no-contact ticket (and on MRT, token) reading. Makes most systems in the USA seem primitive. We probably have much better safety records though.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Yeah, well, I bet you never pull up to an intersection in any of those countries and see a Hummer H2, Escalade ESV, and an F450 Crew Cab dually, all at the same time, something I see all the time in Las Vegas.
I've seen tons of hummers, etc. abroad. Most countries have a large disparity of wealthy and poor...so the hummers and everything are pretty much everywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas