Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 AM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,462 times

Advertisements

So who here in Las Vegas has had the H1N1 Swine Flu? Was anybody vaccinated? If so, where do you get the vaccine? I called the Health District and they said they have no more vaccines, possibly for a few more weeks.

I personally have never knew so many people so sick with a Flu before this H1N1 Swine. My friends roommate just passed away last week. He was 27 super healthy and passed after only 3 days of the Swine Flu! Thats scary!

So, tell me what you know about Swine Flu in LAs Vegas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
This H1N1 ( Swine Flu ) truly scares the hell out of me. May I offer my condolences for your friend's roommate. That is horrible.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,378 times
I don't know of anyone that's contracted the virus - condolences for your friend's roommate.

Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for everyone else, I won't be getting a flu shot. I rarely get sick or get the flu (allergies yes, other stuff no); wouldn't you know, the one year I let a mentor talk me into getting the shot, I got the flu! Apparently the shot is supposed to container a weaker version of a flu virus to stimulate your antibodies, in my case it just gave me the flu. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm describing this incorrectly. For those sitting on the fence, it's still probably better to get the shot.

Keep in mind even if you don't get the shot, focus on a good diet & staying fit as much as you can. I find that helps as much as any medicine, at least when I can keep up with those things.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
So who here in Las Vegas has had the H1N1 Swine Flu? Was anybody vaccinated? If so, where do you get the vaccine? I called the Health District and they said they have no more vaccines, possibly for a few more weeks.

I personally have never knew so many people so sick with a Flu before this H1N1 Swine. My friends roommate just passed away last week. He was 27 super healthy and passed after only 3 days of the Swine Flu! Thats scary!

So, tell me what you know about Swine Flu in LAs Vegas.

Thanks!
It's a flu. People who have to worry about dying from it are the newly born, the extremely old and those with pre-existing health issues who would have also died from other flues.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Just wash your hands a lot! Use the hand sanitizer before going anywhere where you have to touch things, like a grocery store. Always wash your hands before touching your face. Use soap and warm water, lather well.
When or if the flu reaches epidemic proportions, try to stay away from people as much as possible, and if you can't, get a face mask and repeat all the steps above.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 PM

171 posts, read 588,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Apparently the shot is supposed to container a weaker version of a flu virus to stimulate your antibodies, in my case it just gave me the flu.
This is somewhat true, however the flu shot has inactive (dead) microbes. The nasal spray has weakened flu virus so it is only given to people who are young, healthy, and have no underlying medical conditions. The shot is very safe and every year millions of elderly, immune impaired, and sick people get the shot.

In your case, the flu shot only has the main strains it is likely you contracted another strain. Another possibility is the flu shot is around 90% effective.

The cdc states the H1N1 vaccine is close to 100% effective. I will be getting vaccinated for both the seasonal influenza and H1N1 vaccine when it is made available for people in my age/health group.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
This is somewhat true, however the flu shot has inactive (dead) microbes.
Not quite correct. Flu is caused by a virus, not a microbe, and as such, it isn't ever really alive, so it can't be dead either. The inactive virus is just enough bits of the intact virus to stimulate your immune system to produce antibodies.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,595 times
I just know that every year the AF made me get the flu shot, I got a nasty flu bug within 10 days of receiving the shot. As soon as I got out of the AF and stop taking the shots (13 years now) I have only gotten the flu one time, and that was the first year my daughter started going to preschool.

My wife on the other hand gets the flu any year she doesn't get the shot... go figure.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 PM

184 posts, read 511,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Use the hand sanitizer before going anywhere where you have to touch things, like a grocery store.
That might help protect others if you are going out while you are sick, but it does little if you are trying to protect yourself. The smarter move would be to wash your hands AFTER going out and being exposed to others. Wash anytime you are going to eat and keep in mind that handling cash after washing your hands just gets them filthy all over again.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
That might help protect others if you are going out while you are sick, but it does little if you are trying to protect yourself. The smarter move would be to wash your hands AFTER going out and being exposed to others. Wash anytime you are going to eat and keep in mind that handling cash after washing your hands just gets them filthy all over again.
Washing your hands as much as possible before going and coming back home should be the rule. I always wash my hands after touching anything, including money which is crawling with microbes. plus of course my hand sanitizer. And those wipey things the stores use to wipe down the carts. I was even thinking of using those disposable gloves, the kind that come with hair color, but I thought that was a little extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: