U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:43 PM

328 posts, read 691,844 times

Advertisements

Grandkids coming next weekend. Thinging about taking them to Bonnie Spring for the train ride. Ages 5 and 6. Will they like it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 26,025,495 times
Don't bother going....

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-shocking.html

Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,944,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoo View Post
Grandkids coming next weekend. Thinging about taking them to Bonnie Spring for the train ride. Ages 5 and 6. Will they like it?
The train ride is so so, but they will like the petting zoo and the pond. Kids that age seem to really like The Springs Preserve too, although it will cost you a lot more to go there. You could take them to Shark Reef too. They might like that best of all. At least that's the case with my granddaughter who has been going there all her life (she's 6).

Don't believe the so called "Shocking" BS about Bonnie Springs. I love animals, and would rather see wild critters in the wild, but local parents have been taking their kids there for decades. It's fun for kids to pet and feed the animals.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 PM

13,814 posts, read 27,407,103 times
2 words: Tourist Trap. Stick with Springs Preserve (I believe they have classes geared to certain age groups...check their website.)

Old 10-30-2009, 05:35 PM

The petting zoo at Bonnie Springs has never charged to get in, unless they recently started, and it has been supported by LOCALS for decades. The old west town that appeals to tourists does charge, but I can't say if it's worth it because I only went in there once to a party. Doesn't look interesting. Oatman, AZ, seems like more fun, with the wild burros walking around all over the place. The train ride at Bonnie Springs might be fun for the little ones, but it isn't very long. I don't think it costs all that much either. But they'd probably like the animals more than the cowboy shootouts as the little ones haven't been exposed to western movies.

The food in the old ranch house has never been great, but they make a good hamburger. The history of the place is kind of interesting too.

The Springs Preserve really is fun for the kids, but it ain't cheap. Even some of the volunteers even tell me they think it should be a lot cheaper, especially for locals bringing a ton of kids. But my six year old granddaughter, who has an annual pass to Disneyland, really likes The Springs Preserve, and she likes the Shark Reef. So if a spoiled child like my sweetie endorses it, you know it's good.

The Springs has some fun stuff going on right now. Springs Preserve - Official Web Site (http://www.springspreserve.org/html/home.html?low - broken link)

Old 10-30-2009, 05:38 PM

The train in Boulder City might be more fun for the kiddies. Nevada Southern Railway excursion train ride

Then the grandparent can find a good place to eat afterwards, and maybe stroll through some antique stores.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,299,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The petting zoo at Bonnie Springs has never charged to get in, unless they recently started, and it has been supported by LOCALS for decades. The old west town that appeals to tourists does charge, but I can't say if it's worth it because I only went in there once to a party. Doesn't look interesting. Oatman, AZ, seems like more fun, with the wild burros walking around all over the place. The train ride at Bonnie Springs might be fun for the little ones, but it isn't very long. I don't think it costs all that much either. But they'd probably like the animals more than the cowboy shootouts as the little ones haven't been exposed to western movies.

The food in the old ranch house has never been great, but they make a good hamburger. The history of the place is kind of interesting too.

The Springs Preserve really is fun for the kids, but it ain't cheap. Even some of the volunteers even tell me they think it should be a lot cheaper, especially for locals bringing a ton of kids. But my six year old granddaughter, who has an annual pass to Disneyland, really likes The Springs Preserve, and she likes the Shark Reef. So if a spoiled child like my sweetie endorses it, you know it's good.

The Springs has some fun stuff going on right now. Springs Preserve - Official Web Site (http://www.springspreserve.org/html/home.html?low - broken link)
Bonnie Springs, charges $20.00 a car to get in. Have not been since last summer, though. My daughter loved it.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Bonnie Springs, charges $20.00 a car to get in. Have not been since last summer, though. My daughter loved it.
To the old ranch where the critters are, or to the old western town where the cowboys are?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 AM

328 posts, read 691,844 times
Thanks to all of you.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,299,847 times
Just to get to the petting zoo, the $20.00 pays for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas