Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:53 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Really, it does not make any sense to NOT own a car in Las Vegas. Personally, I could not do it as my job is not on the bus route. The best thing to do is to buy a cheap, 4 cylinder, fuel efficient, and reliable car for $500, like I did. I then have to pay $38 a month for car insurance, and around $40 a month for gas. All in all, I pay around $80 a month for owning a car compared with $55 for a monthly bus pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 PM

122 posts, read 359,323 times
Las Vegas Blvd. Welcome to Budget Suites - Come Live A While you can walk from there to MGM

Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yes, I know the perfect place right off the strip, and it is cheap. The problem will be grocery shopping though.
The big problem in choosing housing closer to the Strip is the lack of grocery stores. The downtown is just as bad, if not worse.

If you go out from the Strip furthur, you'll find some nice urban pockets, like around Trop, Sahara, Desert Inn & either EAstern or Pecos. And good bus routes from there to the Strip.

Here at Desert Inn & Pecos I can bike/walk to Albertson's, Fresh & Easy, Kings Ranch & Food4Less.

Invest in a big backpack and a bicycle with baskets. And shop at night when it's cooler. Many of these stores are open very late.

I can't speak of the areas west of the Strip as I only cross into the areas west of I-15 maybe once a year, if that. Everything I could ever need or desire is in this part of town.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Really, it does not make any sense to NOT own a car in Las Vegas. Personally, I could not do it as my job is not on the bus route. The best thing to do is to buy a cheap, 4 cylinder, fuel efficient, and reliable car for $500, like I did. I then have to pay $38 a month for car insurance, and around $40 a month for gas. All in all, I pay around $80 a month for owning a car compared with $55 for a monthly bus pass.
I gotta think this is the best idea. A real cheapo reliable older car that you will not drive very far. I've seen Ford Focus' that are around 8 years old, 100,000 miles in good shape for around $1500-2500. They will get you around and will not break down. If you can find an import...Toyota Echo or Corolla maybe....in that shape, even better.

As Old Capt indicated, Trop/Decatur area has some nice apartments/condo's and is close to groceries.

2 miles or less to center strip(Trop/LVB or Flamingo/LVB), a few blocks to the grocery store. You will drive less than 25 miles a week so wear and tear on the car/mechanical problems are likely to be minimal to nonexistant.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance_or_REBEL View Post
I did it once and had a south American person try and steal one of my bags, needles to say I ended up just using their online order services for 15 bucks or getting a taxi.
They were trying to steal your needles??!!!??? Probably for drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas