Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 22,370 times

Advertisements

It looks like we will be relocating to Vegas for my husband’s job. In choosing where to live, our first priority is education for our children. My 3rd grade daughter has special needs with a combination of autism, epilepsy, mild cerebral palsy, and is non-verbal. She’s currently in an excellent “multiple disabilities” school program – a cluster unit with intensive use and help with her augmentative communication device (owned by us), ABA, 2 children to 1 adult ratio for teaching of core subjects, and 2 hours integration per day with non-disabled peers.

My 1st grade son is in his second year at an academic charter school, and is reading and doing math beyond grade level. We love the uniforms, discipline, small class size, and he can progress in math and reading at his own pace in small working groups. He’s very academically focused – I don’t know if he would qualify as “gifted” or not. We can’t afford private school at this time, or would prefer not to go that route unless absolutely necessary.

It seems like in Clark County SD, there is a combination of both integration and cluster units for special ed. So, I don’t know if my daughter would attend our home school or not. My son would attend the local public elementary I assume.

Based on this information, can you offer me any guidance to what schools or areas we should look to move to? Any help with special education in general in Clark County? What about doctors – my daughter has fairly intensive needs, and we rely on a very good pediatrician and a pediatric neurologist. She is also on Medicaid, which we’ll need to figure out for Nevada

It’s so hard not being there, not having family or friends there. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 AM

After reading the TOS, I should add that we would be renting or buying a home, probably in the 1800-2300/month price range, although that's somewhat flexible. And we're moving from Salt Lake City.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 PM

500 posts, read 745,595 times
Not to be too discouraging but is this move really worth it? I say that because I'd really weigh the services your are getting at home vs. what you can get in Nevada. We've been hit really hard by severe budget cuts, but even setting that aside for a moment, I just don't find it very progressive here when it comes to sp. needs education. As the parent of a special needs child, moving here from another state, I ended up taking her out and homeschooling her. And she did not have the complexity of needs your dd has. Perhaps others who do can add their input here, but I'd just be very wary of coming here.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks so much for your reply and your honesty. Unfortunately, the job market is lousy and there aren't really other choices and opportunities that we see. We will look at this long and hard though. Thanks again.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,309,357 times
If you have any choice at all, don't come here. Seriously.

My DD has special needs, but they are not like your childs. They are not visible. She has a processing and learning disorder. One of which is Dyspraxia. You have two choices in CCSD, self contained classroom or integrated. Her class has no curriculum. Oh they say there is, but not from what I see. I ask each week, so what did my child learn this week?

We came from Arizona, also poorly rated school systems. However, we were in the Vail School District and the integrated program there was good. I knew what the goal for learning was each week. We got weekly updates from the speech therapist. We got monthly overviews from the spec. ed. teacher. I saw measurable differences each month.

My daughter has been in school for almost 3 months here with CCSD, there is nothing she has learned there, well that's harsh, she has learned some phrases from songs she didn't know before. Since she can't process sequences in order it takes memorization for her to actually learn a whole song. So in 3 months she hasn't learned 1 complete new song. As far as letter and number recognition, its only the ones we are working on at home. It's a struggle.

She came to CCSD with an IEP. Now they are evaluating her to create her CCSD, Nevada, IEP. The first assessment is done and the school psychologist says she is fine, no issues. I have a Developmental Pediatrician, 1 OT therapist, and 1 psychologist from AZ that all agreed about her issues. Now we are in Nevada, she is cured! Its a miracle!

If I am not able to get a CCSD professional to confirm diagnosis, she will be kicked out of the program.

Our old school didn't need a diagnosis, in fact they discouraged it. They only looked for learning deficiencies and developmental delay, not a diagnosis.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,309,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmom View Post
Thanks so much for your reply and your honesty. Unfortunately, the job market is lousy and there aren't really other choices and opportunities that we see. We will look at this long and hard though. Thanks again.
Is it a transfer opportunity with existing company that is downsizing locally? Do you have a job in Vegas? Written job offer? Not just a great interview with a manager who says they want you.

I would rather take my chances hunting for something in the SLC job market than here. In SLC it is familiar, you know people and you are probably better networked in your field.

Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows

Utah 6.2%
Nevada 13.3%

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

SLC 6.2%
Vegas 13.4%

Heck even if you have something solid and in writting here in Vegas, I would still research how stable the company is, have they laid off in the last 18 months, etc... 'Cause if you get here and get cut in the next 3 months or so, you would be SOL here in Vegas.

I believe unemployment in Utah pays slightly better than here too.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 AM

307 posts, read 1,220,393 times
The umemployment rates will be going down in a few months so it is a good time to move and find a job here.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,092,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post

My DD has special needs, but they are not like your childs. They are not visible. She has a processing and learning disorder. One of which is Dyspraxia. You have two choices in CCSD, self contained classroom or integrated. Her class has no curriculum. Oh they say there is, but not from what I see. I ask each week, so what did my child learn this week?

We came from Arizona, also poorly rated school systems. However, we were in the Vail School District and the integrated program there was good. I knew what the goal for learning was each week. We got weekly updates from the speech therapist. We got monthly overviews from the spec. ed. teacher. I saw measurable differences each month.

My daughter has been in school for almost 3 months here with CCSD, there is nothing she has learned there, well that's harsh, she has learned some phrases from songs she didn't know before. Since she can't process sequences in order it takes memorization for her to actually learn a whole song. So in 3 months she hasn't learned 1 complete new song. As far as letter and number recognition, its only the ones we are working on at home. It's a struggle.

She came to CCSD with an IEP. Now they are evaluating her to create her CCSD, Nevada, IEP. The first assessment is done and the school psychologist says she is fine, no issues. I have a Developmental Pediatrician, 1 OT therapist, and 1 psychologist from AZ that all agreed about her issues. Now we are in Nevada, she is cured! Its a miracle!

If I am not able to get a CCSD professional to confirm diagnosis, she will be kicked out of the program.

Our old school didn't need a diagnosis, in fact they discouraged it. They only looked for learning deficiencies and developmental delay, not a diagnosis.
Which school RuReady? Unfortunately that can make quite a difference in Las Vegas. We don't have the separate school districts but anybody who thinks the schools are uniform just does not understand.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Wow, RuReady - that is a very disheartening story. How frustrating that must be for you!

My husband has been looking for a job here in SLC for a year with no offers. We are both from other places, and do not have a lot of networking contacts here. The competition is fierce. He interviewed for the job in Vegas and after a check of references, expects the written offer within the next week, and will start immediately. He'll commute home on the weekends until we figure out a place to live down there, move and get settled. We're leaning toward renting out our home here and renting a home there at first.

Financially and professionally, moving to Vegas would be very good for us. I'm anxious to move back to warmer weather - I'm originally from Texas. It looks like the school issue will be the hardest part of this.

Based on research done so far, and where he would be commuting to, we are leaning toward the Summerlin area. Green Valley/Henderson would be a possibility too.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post

Okay, that's one side of the issue. As a parent, you have certain rights--are you familiar with them?

http://sssd.ccsd.net/Compliance/parentrightsrev2007.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: