Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM

43 posts, read 206,944 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used AppleOne to find a job? I've been poking around for a change-of-pace position and found an interesting job that I'd like to apply for, but I'm hesitant. I dealt with a few staffing agencies in my life and haven't ever had a good experience, so I'm trying to see what other people say about it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
I have.

AppleOne is owned by a wife, OptionOne by the husband. In my opinion they're both worthless, advertising jobs that don't really exist or have long since been filled. I only ever got referred to one job and it was the one type of job I told them I refuse to do (telemarketing). That was almost 10 years ago though. I don't know if they've changed since, but in general I find temp agencies to be useless versus straight networking.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
i also have recently dealt with appleone.. totally worthless.. don't even believe the jobs exist

Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,252 times
Yup, same experience here with AppleOne--- nothing. And, when they did tell me about a job it was $10/hr. Yeah, huh, thanks, no. It seems like most jobs advertised by these agencies really don't exist. I will offer that if you want a job with a specific company as a temp to find out what agency they use, then sign up with that agency. Otherwise, the best way to get an 'in' is networking. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 PM

I just had to share a short story about my most remembered experience with a staffing agency. I was sent on an interview for a potentially full-time position as an assistant to the CEO of a private family-owned company.

The leaving assistant thought I would be great for the position. At the end of the interview she informed me that I would have to pass the "wife test." I was like "Excuse me?!" Needless to say I was stunned.

She informed me that the owners wife was a very jealous woman and she would have to interview me to make sure that I wasn't there just to sleep with her husband.

I thanked her for the interview and informed her that I would not be available for any further interviews. I was about 25 or 26 at the time, married and had a child. I was totally BLOWN AWAY that that situation had even occurred. I went to my mother's work and told her what happened. She was shocked. She took me to the HR director of her work and he was shocked too. Later of course we joked about it, but it was certainly an uncomfortable situation.

So, I have had little faith in any of them since that time.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 AM

7 posts, read 23,710 times
They are worthless IMO! I applied through AppleOne for a position a few weeks back. Agreed to meet with them in person about the position. Before the interview, I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, even a W2 form which I thought was kind of weird being that it was just an interview. During the interview, the woman sits me down and asks me to read over the job description and list anything that I couldn't do. I told her that I could do everything on the list but one thing, and that was the interview. She claimed that her clients are very picky and that I would not be considered a candidate. IMO it was a complete waste of time, something that could have been done easily over the phone or via email instead of dragging me down to their office to shoot me down so fast.

The woman that interviewed me was a mess too. My resume was two pages. She had an L desk. So she placed one page on one side of the desk and the other page on the other side. She would read half of my resume, tell me that she didn't see how I was qualified for the job, before reading the other half and realizing that I do qualify. And that was just one page. I had to point and repeat "You can find my list of experiences on the second page of my resume that you placed over there" several times while she looked at me dumbfounded not believing that she would ever misplace anything. At the same time, I am verbally telling her my experiences that were listed on my resume too. The whole time, she made me feel like I was dumb giving her my incomplete resume. Add to the fact that she was all "couger'd" out! Mid to late 40's, face pulled back, wore a shiny sweats/jump suit, and big boobs. She was very self-centered. Never used "we", "us", "our", etc. in her speech, but she was very much "I", "ME", "MY", "ME", "ME", "ME".

AppleOne is not the only culprit, I've applied for jobs through other staffing agencies. EastRidge didn't even mention any details of the job that I originally applied for. Instead we spent the entire time talking about my experiences while she wrote the notes on my resume. I basically verbalized my resume to them while they took notes on MY RESUME.

Luckily, I was able to land something recently without the help of these agencies. Anyways, that was my experience dealing with staffing agencies.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 AM

43 posts, read 206,944 times
Thanks for the advice everyone I have a stable job for the moment but I can't staaaannnnnnnd it .. But I guess it's better to be employed than not in this economy. I was just poking around to see if I can branch out and try something new! But I guess it's back to Craigslist for the time being!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Gowireless is hiring for their customer service center on DI between Jones and Torrey Pines.....starts at $10 per hr if anyones interested.....

Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Gowireless is hiring for their customer service center on DI between Jones and Torrey Pines.....starts at $10 per hr if anyones interested.....
Do they have part-time available? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas