Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM

21 posts, read 112,381 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My parents are retiring in 2008 and are trying to decide if they want to retire in Las Vegas or Phoenix. They currently live in the North East. They are planning to stay in an extended stay hotel in each of those cities to get an idea of the areas once they retire.

What is everyone's opinion about Vegas for retirees? Where would be the ideal spot to buy a home. We have a child, so they would have their grandchild visiting quite often, so they would be looking for neighborhoods and areas that are kid friendly. Where would be the best place to find temporary living to get an idea of the town.

I had researched the boards before and pretty much got the impression that Las Vegas was full of gambling and prostitution even in outskirt towns like Henderson. Is this true?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,359 times
No, there is no prostitution or crime in LV, they tell me, just a few car thefts. Really nothing to complain about compared to Bogata, or Iraq. I spent almost two hours recently in Paris and Bellagio, and never saw a single hooker. Lots to do in LV, I don't know what, but everybody else says so. Go with the popular opinion, I know I have. Did I tell you I've just landed a job as a hotel manager?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
There are more entertainment options in Las Vegas. If they like to gamble and eat at buffets etc. then Vegas is the choice.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Living in Vegas is just like living anywhere else. The "Sin City" image, for the most part, only really applies to the tourists. People have families here and live ordinary lives.

Have them move to Summerlin. It's a nice subrban area, very beautiful, right by the mountains, etc. There are lots of nice little restaurants, shops, and parks. Great views. There are few active senior communities (such as Siena and Sun City Summerlin), but even if they want to opt for normal housing, it's a buyer's market right now, so house prices are going down.

Have them check out this site: http://www.summerlin.com/

Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
Phoenix is a great place and I liked it because it has wonderful mid century modern architecture, it's culturally alive and has lovely topography. The only thing I felt it had in common with Vegas...hot summers. The winters are nicer.

One thing about Vegas...it guarantees lots of people will come visit them.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:34 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Retirees flock to both.

The weather is basically a tie.

One should understand that children are, at best, tolerated in retirement communities....none are friendly to children. For instance the use of facilities by children is always limited to certain hours.

The retirement communities of Phoenix are older (in general) and cheaper than those of Las Vegas. The Vegas facilities are newer, larger and more expensive.

Las Vegas is much easier to get around. Simply a smaller city.

In either city one has the option of not living in a retirement community. That however means giving up the excellent facilities and social opportunities of these communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas