Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 PM

25 posts, read 30,310 times

Advertisements

UNLV's new football coach is supposed to be pretty decent. I looked at his record, and he's been successful pretty much everywhere he's been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryMack View Post
UNLV's new football coach is supposed to be pretty decent. I looked at his record, and he's been successful pretty much everywhere he's been.
Isn't that the general profile of UNLV coaches? Successful everywhere else and 4-7 at UNLV?

UNLV should be playing in the WAC where the competition level is more suited to the football they play.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Isn't that the general profile of UNLV coaches? Successful everywhere else and 4-7 at UNLV?

UNLV should be playing in the WAC where the competition level is more suited to the football they play.
or in the lingerie football league??????

Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM

293 posts, read 641,647 times
Yeah because Sanford was coming in from one of the best staffs in America at Utah, and did nothing here to make his name any better. He coached like he learned nothing from Meyer..I think they are fine with what league they play in, but maybe with TCU leaving soon for the Big 12 and Boise leaving for the Pac-10 and a couple of others being lured by bigger conferences, then they stand a chance

Old 02-07-2010, 01:55 PM

77 posts, read 340,867 times
I think there are several factors that make Vegas a tough place to recruit for hoops and football. Coaches here will often find that keeping homegrown talent in town is tough because many who grow here are eager to "get out". Schools in Utah, Oklahoma and Oregon have done great work in nabbing many such kids in football. Having a football stadium 10 miles away from a commuter campus hurts recruiting, too. Players don't want to ride a bus to the stadium for home games in the middle of nowhere. I hope to see UNLV drop a stadium on or near campus with the Strip as a backdrop. I know the current economic woes won't allow this anytime soon, though. While we might think that "all that Vegas has to offer" seems attractive to an 18-year old, don't forget that that same kid has a mother that needs to approve as well - tough sell. In the mean time, Hauck and Kruger will have to do their best to keep local kids in town, snag potential PAC 10 players and continue to bring in transfers from other D1 schools and JUCO's. I would love to see both programs at or near the top of the MWC year in and year out.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,993 times
current rebel, but next year I'll run with the wolf pack. and I am soooo excited!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,832,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TominLasVegas View Post
UNLV baby!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
This is a REBEL YELLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

UNLV!!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:41 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Ya' know, most people in Las Vegas come from elsewhere and are hardly aware that Reno is in Nevada, let alone that there is a school called UNR, and it's the flagship of higher learning in Nevada.

In fact, I think most people come here thinking of Las Vegas as a city-state like Athens in ancient Greece, and don't even realize they are in the state of Nevada until they have to go to the DMV.

But people in Reno, and most of northern Nevada, think almost 24/7 about how they can run Las Vegas out of Nevada, even though they'd have to start supporting themselves.

While Northern Nevada hates Las Vegas...Las Vegas seldom ever considers Northern Nevada at all. I understand the hatred goes back to when Pat McCarran was a Senator from up north, and it benefited him to have a political war between the north and the south.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,263 times
Was just checking out other forums on CD and saw this one.
Proud graduate so gotta say REBELS baby!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM

208 posts, read 350,453 times
I'm a 'Cuse fan...but if my job transfer ever goes through...I will be a season ticket holder for UNLV basketball. I love college hoops...only thing that gets me through these long crappy winters up here. Gonna be almost 34,000 in the Dome 2/27 against 'Nova... 9pm on a saturday night...if SU comes to play, the place will be an absolute freakin mad house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas