Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,291,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
No They Don't

From the 2008 FBI site...

"Caution Agaist Ranking

Each year when Crime in the United States is published, many entities—news media, tourism agencies, and other groups with an interest in crime in our Nation—use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rankings, however, are merely a quick choice made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular town, city, county, state, region, or other jurisdiction. Consequently, these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents."

And Las Vegas will still rank well away from the bottom if the tables published by the FBI are used to create a ranking.
There are always Fear Mongers out there olecapt; pay them no mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,545,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If you are motivated to work you will always find somebody that needs your services. Besides, what's the difference being unemployed in Las Vegas or unemployed someplace else? You still need to find a job. So why not live someplace you like and look for one there? I know, people will say if unemployment is that high you'd have a better chance some were it is lower. Not necessarily so. It depends on your line of work or what other work you are willing to do...and how clever you are at selling yourself. Most of the unemployment in Las Vegas has to do with new construction...materials, labor, even furniture sales. Everyone here is still buying groceries. Another thing that is booming right now is any kind of repair. Instead of buying new, people are repairing their old things. My computer guy is busy as a _____(fill in your own cliché).
I agree completely. When the economy was good I left my job at Disney World and sought employment for 4 months before i was hired again in late 2007

Im very fortunate to have the job I do right now. I applied was interviewed and hired all in the same day after quitting McDonalds and going to Publix. That was in January 2008 when the recession was just beginning

A lot of unemployment here is new construction as well though the tourist district still has a LOT of building going on along with the new basketball thats slated to open for the 2010-2011 season.

I dont usually see that there is a recession though, all my favorite restaurants here are usually jam packed on a friday or saturday night, as well as movie theaters, stores like target (do they have target in vegas btw?) i see all these people driving cars that are less then 5 yrs old, it seems business as usual inspite of what i always hear on the news

How cold does it usually get in Las vegas? I know it snowed there last year I remember that on the news, but I know thats rare, what are the temperatures like?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,082,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If you are motivated to work you will always find somebody that needs your services. Besides, what's the difference being unemployed in Las Vegas or unemployed someplace else? You still need to find a job. So why not live someplace you like and look for one there? I know, people will say if unemployment is that high you'd have a better chance some were it is lower. Not necessarily so. It depends on your line of work or what other work you are willing to do...
So true....I've encountered this countless times. There is ALWAYS work available, it's just a matter if someone is willing to do it.

I also can't help but wonder that if in downturns of the economy, that the lazier among of us, take advantage of their layoff...and just try to soak up as much unemployment compensation as they possibly can as well - which keeps those unemployment numbers up.

I've personally have always worked...but there was a point where I had an option to take unemployment, and I did. I got on it for about 1-2 months and rented a room near the beach in San Diego and did nothing...but soon got bored and wanted something more to do, and got another job right away. But momentarily, I felt like if I had wanted, I could just 'do nothing' for a year and fulfill all those wild dreams - becoming a writer, taking classes, getting good at hobbies and interests, all that dreamy stuff. But when you really aren't working, it is amazing how much lazier it makes you instead.

Anyways, once a person gets a taste for paid for doing nothing...compared to paid for working...I think 90% of the people would rather do nothing. Hence the 'oh, I can't find a job', although I'm betting there are 'now hiring' signs all over Vegas just like anywhere else - even if they are just the subway shop down the street or wherever.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,545,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So true....I've encountered this countless times. There is ALWAYS work available, it's just a matter if someone is willing to do it.

I also can't help but wonder that if in downturns of the economy, that the lazier among of us, take advantage of their layoff...and just try to soak up as much unemployment compensation as they possibly can as well - which keeps those unemployment numbers up.

I've personally have always worked...but there was a point where I had an option to take unemployment, and I did. I got on it for about 1-2 months and rented a room near the beach in San Diego and did nothing...but soon got bored and wanted something more to do, and got another job right away. But momentarily, I felt like if I had wanted, I could just 'do nothing' for a year and fulfill all those wild dreams - becoming a writer, taking classes, getting good at hobbies and interests, all that dreamy stuff. But when you really aren't working, it is amazing how much lazier it makes you instead.

Anyways, once a person gets a taste for paid for doing nothing...compared to paid for working...I think 90% of the people would rather do nothing. Hence the 'oh, I can't find a job', although I'm betting there are 'now hiring' signs all over Vegas just like anywhere else - even if they are just the subway shop down the street or wherever.
Agreed. Does anybody know how well the jobs pay? Money is a big issue for me because I have a car loan that has about 3 years left on it, and Im not sure if I should sell the car before I move or bring it with me. Does Las Vegas have a decent bus system that covers the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas