Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 16,728 times

Advertisements

I have been offered some new locations for my work. The choices are San Diego, Baton Rouge, and Las Vegas. Could you address some of my questions concerning Vegas?1. People in the area...diversity, socio-economic backgrounds, friendlyness, etc. 2. Safety, types of crimes, gangs, etc.3. Housing, affordable safe neighborhoods. I can afford 400K price range for a home.4. Weather- how cold does it get at night? On wikipedia it said it averages 40 F at night. I have looked up much of this already but the info seems so conflicted, even regarding the weather and climate (some say it gets very cold, others say it does not.)Any advice or impressions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:48 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,377 times
There is a lot of diversity! Every ethnicity you can think of resides here, and the variety of restaurants, cafes, etc exemplifies that. Mostly everyone I've met here is nice, but I have heard a lot of people here are shady, backstabbers, etc. Just a common rule of thumb, watch what you say...this goes for anywhere you live. Although crime stats will say Vegas is one of the worst places to live because of the crime, I really don't think so. Car theft, and recently, home break-ins seem to top the list here. Although I don't drive an expensive car, so I'm really not concerned about anyone stealing my car. Housing is the most affordable right now than almost anywhere in the U.S. There are a number of homes previously valued about $250K that are going for around $125K! Case in point, my friend's home in Mountains Edge, they purchased for $290K, it's value right now is around $150K. With a $400k price range, you can find something with a lot of upgrades in a really desirable area. Right now, the temperatures are averaging around 63-65 degrees during the day, 42+/- overnight. In the winter, the night temps can go as low as the upper 20's to low 30's, but during the other 9-10 months at least 50 degrees +. The heat, well, imo, I came from the East coast and this past summer was my first here. When it hit 90, it felt like 80+ humidity from where I used to live. When it hit 100...it didn't matter if there was humidity or not, it was hot. After I experienced 113 degrees, it felt like 90 degrees + humidity, and it was not advisible to go outside until the sun was going down, at which point it was still about 102 at midnight. Air conditioning set at 80 degrees overnight was comfortable for me.

Plus, what other city in the U.S. offers any type of cuisine, party, club, etc any day of the week?
I love Vegas!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Some say its cold here in the winter, but I guess it depends on where you come from. Someone from a cold state will love it, but someone who comes from a subtropic area will think its cold. I think its cold on a few days of the winter months, but its nothing a jacket cant handle. The summers are very hot, but without humidity, its really not that bad. Las Vegas is a big city with all the perks the largest cities of the world at a fraction of the price. Just use common sense and do your homework before you decide and of course visit the city and see if you really like it. I love Vegas too.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Vegas is very diverse, you can get more for your money in Vegas than San Diego. Crime about the same. Weather is better in San Diego, and no beaches here in Vegas.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Vegas is very diverse, you can get more for your money in Vegas than San Diego. Crime about the same. Weather is better in San Diego, and no beaches here in Vegas.
Im with kalbo.Except for the "weather is better" part.21 Years of the same thing everyday?Kind of old.Seasons would be nice.But yeah.Two of the biggest draws to LV for me is it's diversity and the more bang for you buck when comparing it to SD.I feel like I'm getting ripped off here in SD.LOL

Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Go to weather.com, you can look at the average daily high and low temps for every day of the year. That information is much more reliable than anything you'll get out of the forum.

As far as diversity, Las Vegas may be diverse, but I'd argue that more important than diversity is the acceptance of that diversity Moderator cut: racism

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-23-2009 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: racism

Old 11-23-2009, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 16,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Go to weather.com, you can look at the average daily high and low temps for every day of the year. That information is much more reliable than anything you'll get out of the forum.

As far as diversity, Las Vegas may be diverse, but I'd argue that more important than diversity is the acceptance of that diversity Moderator cut: racism
My wife and I are Italian-American. I look very white, but my wife is often taken for Latin. Based on what you said about "acceptance" would this be an issue? ( I know the Mob was/is active there.) LOLThanks everyone for all the info. I have been to Vegas a few years ago, but never went too far from the strip. I liked the feel of it then, diversity, atmosphere, etc., but that was just the strip. It seems like a pretty laid back affordable place.

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-23-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 07:30 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROMINATOR View Post
My wife and I are Italian-American. I look very white, but my wife is often taken for Latin. Based on what you said about "acceptance" would this be an issue? ( I know the Mob was/is active there.) LOLThanks everyone for all the info. I have been to Vegas a few years ago, but never went too far from the strip. I liked the feel of it then, diversity, atmosphere, etc., but that was just the strip. It seems like a pretty laid back affordable place.
This place has to be the most accepting place I have ever seen. You, nor your wife will have any problems with racism. I even had a friend here who was middle eastern, and he had no problems. I grew up in Phoenix, and it was not quite as tolerant there. Over here, blacks, hispanics, asians, middle easterns etc wil be quite happy on how they are treated, which is the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas