U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 03:57 PM

56 posts, read 79,206 times

Advertisements

If you revue the Adult Entertainment section of the phone book Yellow Pages as I have you may come to some opinions. These are mine. In excess of 200 full page adds that probably promote prostitution.

1. The laws in regards to prostitution are not being enforced.
2. The police department may likely be corrupt.
3. Las Vegas is not concerned with public health.
4. With 33 million visitors Las Vegas is losing an opportunity to tax
million.
5. No other town in the world has this large an Adult entertainment
(prostitution) section in thier phone book.
6. MONEY RUNS VEGAS.
7. Religous leaders have little cloat.
8. What goes on in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas. Like sexual transmitted disease.

Last edited by Standbyme; 11-26-2009 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: added sentence
Rate this post positively

Old 11-26-2009, 04:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 9,810,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbyme View Post
If you revue the Adult Entertainment section of the phone book Yellow Pages as I have you may come to some opinions. These are mine. In excess of 200 full page adds that probably promote prostitution.

million.
6. MONEY RUNS VEGAS.
8. What goes on in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas. Like sexual transmitted disease.
Are you trying to make a moral statement?

Old 11-26-2009, 04:17 PM

Default NO not at all.

It doesn't matter if you are for or against prostitution. This subject, my whole new thread is designed to give you insight into Vegas.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:20 PM

I think the slogan "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" sent the message loud and clear via the marketing campaign.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:27 PM

Yea, it implies immoral, and unusual things go on, but it doesn't give you the whole picture. Vegas cops are the highest paid in the country. Bet they'll keep their mouths shut now.
Ever hear of a major entertainer getting busted in Vegas? Me neither.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Yea, it implies immoral, and unusual things go on, but it doesn't give you the whole picture. Vegas cops are the highest paid in the country. Bet they'll keep their mouths shut now.
Ever hear of a major entertainer getting busted in Vegas? Me neither.
So this thread is really a thread about corruption in the Las Vegas police department?

Old 11-26-2009, 05:37 PM

Default No not at all

It's about the fiber of Las Vegas. If any civic or religous organization stepped up to the plate, they could probably do something. My greatest concern is the rapid spread of AIDS. This is a tremendous vehicle for the spread of AIDS. Just think about it. If say Vegas has 500 hookers out there a night (and that is probably conservative) and onlly 5% had an STD. That would mean around IMO 600 people are contracting an STD every night from this practice in Vegas Then bringing it home across the nation to spread further! Just think of it. Then also think about all the money it generates. A graduate student at UNLV was quoted as believing the advertisements in the phone book generated 24 million a year. Is this money going to corrupt officials? How powerful a force is sex when used as a favor? How much tax could be obtained? Is the public being protected? I would probably be in favor of legalization just to protect the public.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 PM

12,837 posts, read 25,908,056 times
Quote:

million.
6. MONEY RUNS VEGAS.
ummm so? if you don't like it, don't read it, or come here.. simply put....eg.. what happens in vegas stays in vegas....... sin city..... duh!!!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 35,865,190 times
Las Vegas has prostitution where it wants it. Or almost...it would love to get rid of the card guys and the rolling bill boards. Just can't figure out a way to do it.

It does not want legal prostitution as that would offend a large segment of the important visitor community. LV believes that legal prostitution would not provide any place near enough revenue to offset the loss of the quality clients.

There is as well a large population that is willing to tolerate out of sight prostitution but is not willing to accept it as a sanctioned activity. The RC and LDS populations would be strongly of that class.

On the other hand the powers that be don't want to ban prostitution either. It is part of the LV mystique. You come to LV to get laid at certain points in your life.

I doubt a lot of police involvement in a way that allows corruption. Shaking down the lady making an on call visit is not going to get anyone rich and she is not likely going to pay off in any big way. Hotel security may do better but they always risk getting fired.

I would be surprised if it is a major source of AIDs. You have a source that indicates it is a problem?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:06 PM

12,837 posts, read 25,908,056 times
oh by the way, check craigslist in ANY city... there's tons of it.. Can't believe you live here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: