Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times

Advertisements

City center is hideous. I am glad it's failing. I drove past Monday at night. It's murky, gaudy, and has no class whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
Can't say I wasn't right there with you. I often thought, how can this be sustainable? I guess now I have my answer. It wasn't.
Unpossible! I have it on good authority that no one could have seen this trainwreck coming.
Quote:
But, here is the next question: What might be the next investment bubble? In the early 90's we had the dot.com's and this decade we had housing. Okay, speculator's... what might be next? Hummm....
I'll go with commodities. Gold for example has had a very strong run...which is not to say it doesn't go much higher.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:04 PM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Quote:
What I can't wrap my head around is no one took a deep breath and prepared for the worst. That is what is truly amazing.

Many have. They might be the ones picking up the pieces.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Quote:
But, here is the next question: What might be the next investment bubble? In the early 90's we had the dot.com's and this decade we had housing. Okay, speculator's... what might be next? Hummm....

Precious metals, especially gold. Someone on CNBC is touting Gold at $3000.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:05 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
City center is hideous. I am glad it's failing. I drove past Monday at night. It's murky, gaudy, and has no class whatsoever.
Please note that City Center is NOT failing....not yet, at least. It will take some time before we can make that determination. I happen to agree, that it will be a failure of huge proportion...and one with major repercussions for the LV scene. It couldn't be a worse time to go with this project. They've got the timing (and overruns) of Bugsy Siegel...on a 2009 level. And Dubai's financial problems certainly don't help one iota.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It sounds to me your are describing that one horse town dump called Dolan Springs that YOU live in. I wouldn't worry about city center though, you will not be able to afford to stay there anyways.
No , pal. You have it wrong. Living in Dolan Springs is affordable. We have more than one hoss, by the way. NO traffic lights. No all night bars full of drunks. I can very much afford to spend a week at the Encore, if I want. I wouldn't stay at City Center if they paid me. Have another Schnapps.
( Miss Peggy climbs onto her burro, and heads to the bank, then heads back to her debt free life)

Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Please note that City Center is NOT failing....not yet, at least. It will take some time before we can make that determination. I happen to agree, that it will be a failure of huge proportion...and one with major repercussions for the LV scene. It couldn't be a worse time to go with this project. They've got the timing (and overruns) of Bugsy Siegel...on a 2009 level. And Dubai's financial problems certainly don't help one iota.
They won't be getting to the Echelon for 5 more years, I hear. I like Vegas. The M is way out of town, but it wasn't as frantic, and claustrophobic. They should have stuck City Center way out. City outskirts. They'd have had far more room for seasonal outdoor horse shows, and maybe even a horseracing (night) track. I miss the Stardust.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
No , pal. You have it wrong. Living in Dolan Springs is affordable. We have more than one hoss, by the way. NO traffic lights. No all night bars full of drunks. I can very much afford to spend a week at the Encore, if I want. I wouldn't stay at City Center if they paid me. Have another Schnapps.
( Miss Peggy climbs onto her burro, and heads to the bank, then heads back to her debt free life)
Of course Dolan Springs is affordable, it is a total dump. I would rather pay a little more, and still live in a civilized place, thank you. Remember this?

Dolan Springs, Arizona--Don't Go Here!
I couldn't make this up if I tried:
You won't get hired in this town unless you're family...or, a "very important person". That Hoover Dam By-Pass Project should certainly by-pass this town, serve it right! (and probably will). Dolan Springs is nothing but retirees, bums, thieves, druggies, escapees from who-knows-what, and other ne'er do wells. Everyone around here tries to chump you. ... I think the behavior of this town is due to the drinking water, and the huge antenna tower blasting out 150 million megawatts of microwave power, and whatever's blowing around from the ground. This place is windy, dry and un-forgiving. The town has no character whatsoever--not a shade tree to sit under, not a public fountain, nothing...WHY, why, why do they call it Dolan SPRINGS??? The buildings in town look like they've were thrown together with absolutely no planning or fore-thought...surprise! The library is open late on Thursday nights, other times it's a few hours here and there. If they were open more often, perhaps the punks in this town would have somewhere to go, and if they weren't careful, they just might learn something, rather than follow in their mommies or daddies footsteps. The school system here is a joke, the lowest SAT scores in the state. Teen-age girls are walking the streets with a couple of babies already, their "ol' men" are in jail, or with someone else...an old saying here goes, "You don't loose your girl, you just loose your turn!" The "park" is another joke, full of goatheads, maybe 2 trees, a "baseball diamond" that I've never seen used, (it's all weeds, who wants to slide into home on that!) and a bunch of un-watered Oleanders. No grass to walk on, everything around here is sterile dirt with lotsa, lotsa mean-ass weeds. Good luck in getting anything else to grow, even the Joshua trees that have been here for thousands of years are starting to keel over. No fireworks, either, they quit that around 10 years ago, because (the fire dept sez) no one donated to the fireworks fund.... The only annual events are things like "Dolan Days" or "Loyalty Days", and that's just here to plump up the buisness owners coffers...this town isn't interested in really having fun, just for the sake of it. They are actually anti-customer here. They don't care about the average, honest dude. The only market in town, the Double D, (double de prices) is dingy and over-priced, and talk about fresh: yeah, if you like your meat green and your lettuce brown! The service you're over-paying for is slow... and... tedious... and... ignorant. You can't even buy any type of magazine in this town. Thank God they finally put in a new Family Dollar store, and for the first time ever you can find a place to buy make-up and other things like in a "real" store. And believe me, a lot of these women here need a good make-over, what with their missing teeth and tatoos all over their bodies, more than a man would ever sport! The two places that have regular customers are the VFW and American Legion. What does that tell ya? And these two so-called patriotic joints are constantly bickering with each other. The only gas station closes at 7pm, 6 pm on Sunday. The prices they gouge are "tourist prices" but the locals, who don't have much, (and can't say much 'cuz they got us over a barrel), also have to pay these same ridiculous prices. Pretty much they roll up the sidewalk at 8pm or so. The sheriff's run up and down the only paved road through town like a bunch of wild street cops, and the county of Mohave isn't satisified until they squeeze your last dollar, impound your vehicle and in general inconvience you as much as possible. The county seat is in Kingman, about 40 miles from here. You have to go there for everything: driver's license, welfare, court, fast foods, a decent beautician, you name it. This is a poor town, a lot of people here aren't able to drive to Kingman all the time. Most of the homes here are ramshackle and unkempt. I could go on, but if you want to move here for the scenery, great---until someone in the next lot over builds a 3 story home and blocks all your wonderful view! Or, if you want to move here for the clean water, go ahead---the prices keep rising and the grossly mis-managed water company doesn't seem to want to run more water lines OR show ya any latest water test results. Or...if ya wanna move here for the clean air, good for you!...the wind blows constantly, dust, pollen and trash blowing everywhere, all the time. Hooooowdy, stranger!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:10 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Precious metals, especially gold. Someone on CNBC is touting Gold at $3000.
$3K/oz (troy oz)? AWESOME!

I bought quite a few nice pieces during my trips to Kuwait and Dubai -- all 18k and 21k gold. I bet I could have a nice little nest egg in gold.

That is one thing that you will find the Middle Eastern countries people have and keep - gold. Not black gold as in oil, but fine 21k and 22k some 24k bullion. I'm starting to think I was little ahead of the curve on those investments. I'll have to dig out my receipts --- all in Arabic and determine how much I paid for it then versus what I can sale for now.

But, here's the dilemma, where would I be able to sell this precious gold by the gram here in the States?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM

762 posts, read 1,561,544 times
gold will go much higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: