Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,211,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
Like it or not, there is a reason why Summerlin has been voted the best Master Planned Community in America for some time. When it comes to civic planning, there are few areas that come close in terms of design, access to public resources, libraries, schools, fire stations, etc. While I agree that over time, the lot sizes have become smaller, one has to really venture out and take a walk or a bike ride on one of the many trail systems, visit a park or check out how nice the other amenities are before making a judgment call.!
When I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, I drove nearly 200-300 miles just driving around neighborhoods.

Personally, I am not into "master communities" or suburban areas in general, BUT I have to say that Summerlin was one of the most attractive areas in Las Vegas. It was one of the few areas where the houses were not crammed on small lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,150,733 times
Come out where Buzz and I and others live. Nice half acres and still about half vacant. Ride your horse or walk your dog or whatever. Nobody cares.

Summerlin is much too high a density...

Old 12-06-2009, 06:35 PM

124 posts, read 475,943 times
Those first photos remind me of Clairemont in San Diego. Why not look there if that's the rustic you want?

Last edited by Summerlin; 12-06-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 10:43 PM

369 posts, read 1,094,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Come out where Buzz and I and others live. Nice half acres and still about half vacant. Ride your horse or walk your dog or whatever. Nobody cares.

who can afford where you live, half acres? That would be a cream. Even Summerlin which i finally visited two weeks ago was gorgeous, i personally have a love/hate relationship with master planned communities....

Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,951,279 times
Quote:

and nicknamed "snoberlin".... and since i work in summerlin... It fits very very well.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,716,320 times
My dad was tipped off about the Summlerlin project from a local judge in 84. Land all the way right up the BLM line at La Madre MT was selling for $600 an acre. The only person living that far west was that crazy old man running a small junkyard at Lone MT.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Ahhh be careful with all that. There are actually a number of homesteads next to and behind Lone Mountain that predate 1970. And in my neighborhood there are a dozen homes that were up before 1980. Some are almost orginal to this day.

Agreed it was low density. But it was not empty.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,716,320 times
Quote:
Ahhh be careful with all that. There are actually a number of homesteads next to and behind Lone Mountain that predate 1970. And in my neighborhood there are a dozen homes that were up before 1980. Some are almost orginal to this day.

Agreed it was low density. But it was not empty.

There where homes behind that pile of dirt and rock in the 70's? I guess my memory must be fading. I recall after clearing that last housing tract off of Buffalo, there was nothing all the way to Calico Basin except for mr junkyard at Lone MT. Was there a Lone MT road at that time. I remember it as unmarked dirt road leading to his house.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
There where homes behind that pile of dirt and rock in the 70's? I guess my memory must be fading. I recall after clearing that last housing tract off of Buffalo, there was nothing all the way to Calico Basin except for mr junkyard at Lone MT. Was there a Lone MT road at that time. I remember it as unmarked dirt road leading to his house.
Actually much of the area was homesteaded. You could get your homestead out thataway up until I think the late 60s...and there were several. In fact you could still find where the were in the mid 90s by looking for the weill.

The SE corner of Lone Moutain itself was a homestead. I don't know how it was actually resolved but at one point they ran Alexander out around that property. I don't know whether it was bought or condemned but where the NW corner of the ball fields now are was a homestead.

And if you went past Lone Mountain back toward the Spring Moutains there were at least two more obvious homesteads before you got to the foothills.

Used to be popular back there. Where everyone went to shoot. Place was layered with brass.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,861,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

All in all I'm saying I like the look, but not for that particular city. That's my opinion and I have the right to it. It can't be refuted that Vegas has also been generally known for relatively inexpensive suburban living; these places I saw were in the millions of dollars.
Dude, the housing prices for McMansions in Vegas are not millions. Yes, the same house in Palo Alto would be millions, but it's not that much in Vegas just because it's similar construction. You can get a very nice house for a very reasonable price in Summerlin or other master-planned suburbs around Las Vegas. Maybe that's why you are confused?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas