Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM

45 posts, read 191,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You broke the code. You don't have to build a raised garden but it helps...a lot. The Desert Demonstration Garden at the Springs Preserve has all kinds of info on gardening here. If you are serious about gardening pick up the book, "Nevada Gardener's Guide", buy Linn Mills (Southern Nevada) and Dick Post (Northern Nevada). Other desert gardening books are practically worthless as they are mostly for Arizona which is an entirely different desert.
Thanks for the book suggestion. I do have that book. I also really like the Sunset Western Garden Book. I do like to experiment with plants so I'm not afraid to lose some.... Some marginal plants for our climate I've had moderate success with are: Tropical (African) bird of Paradise, lemon grass, bougainvillea, and key limes. Shady or south facing micro-climates are usually the best for tender perennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
In my yard, i have a lot of fruit trees. the apricot tree is the oldest and really puts out alot of fruit... I also have Lemon, Orange, Lime, Apple, Plum, Peach, Pomegranite, Persimmon, and Fig.

I tried tomatoes in the upside garden with not much luck, just a few small ones.. in the spring, im going to do a raised garden also...
If I had a bigger yard, I would love to have lots of fruit trees. I do have citrus and pomegranate. Damn pool and artificial grass takes the whole center of my backyard...I do enjoy it though

Good luck on the raised garden! It really helps

Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
This year I had the most luck growing tomatoes in a large ceramic flower pot on the patio in partial shade. I had two crops. I just picked some green tomatoes today for frying. I don't think they would have ever ripened in this weather. We'll see as there are still some on the plant, and even new blossoms. I may have inadvertently killed off my local bees by spraying nymphs on one of my flowering plants. At least I wasn't seeing any on the tomatoes and the blossoms didn't seem to be getting pollinated, so I used a q-tip and did it myself.
You were smart to pick the tomatoes before they frosted! As far as bees go, try planting flowers that attract bees. Rosemary, ice plant, and hearts and flowers are a few that work in my yard.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
you may already be aware of this but there is a Nevada gardening forum on Gardenweb.com. The Nevada forum is: Gardening in Nevada - GardenWeb
Thanks Lisa! I have been on that forum before. Not as many people seem to chat regularly. I've had more success reading and posting in the Southwest region section of Gardenweb.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i am happy to report that my lemon tree (1yr old) is doing exceptionally well.. over 50 lemons.. and still going..
What kind of lemon tree? Meyer or Eureka? I have 2 oranges on my small Valencia orange tree that are starting to change color. Hasn't been in the ground for more than a few months.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,757 times
Just about everything grows in Las Vegas - it's a great place to garden. You can pick food every month of the year. Here are some garden photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773704@N06/ with ideas and tips that may help you.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieRDoyle View Post
Just about everything grows in Las Vegas - it's a great place to garden. You can pick food every month of the year. Here are some garden photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773704@N06/ with ideas and tips that may help you.
Plants look great! How clever to plant things on top of your chicken coop I don't have that much yard....Would love to have a chicken coop!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 AM

70 posts, read 103,747 times
Default New to Desert Gardening

I am so glad to see this thread!

My husband and I are considering relocating to Las Vegas. We've enjoyed gardening everywhere we've lived (California Bay Area, Western New York, Central South Carolina) and each of them present unique challenges!

My husband loves to grow peppers and tomatoes and we've always ordered live plants of special varieties from Burpee. But I was was surprised to see that they won't deliver these plants to Nevada.

We would be interested to see what variety of vegetable plants we can purchase at the local nurseries in Las Vegas and/or start learning how to save the seeds of our current vegetable plants.

I've always been interested in Garden Art. I would love to hear/see examples of how people have added creative touches to their gardens. I love rock hounding (like an exciting treasure hunt) and wonder what kind of designs I could come up with for borders? I also have a huge jar of sea glass I collected in Bermuda that might look interesting on stepping stones? I enjoy growing my herb gardens and would like a creative design!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM

52 posts, read 106,753 times
When I was a kid, I had an extreme green-thumb. One day we ate papayas, so I decided to take a seed from the fruit, and plant it in a pot. After mothering it a bit, lo and behold, I had a papaya tree in the middle of the desert. I also grew an apple sapling in my room. I had this bright idea that I would make mini greenhouses out of 2-liters. So, after eating an apple and saving the seeds, I planted them in a makeshift-mini-greenhouse. A few weeks later, I had a sprout, and a few months later I had a sapling. When I got older, my green-thumb turned into more of a brown-thumb. So, now I am adopting the same approach I had when I was a kid. I hope things work out better this year!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
For a little extra information on gardening in Las Vegas and garden related events check out the Las Vegas Gardening Examiner at http://www.examiner.com/x-11490-Las-...ening-Examiner .
Vegas can be a tough place to garden but with help from available resources it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: