Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,129,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
The water here is really,really bad. I have to buy lotion that is the equivalent of vaseline to keep my skin from flaking...lol. I now have dry scalp now, when I wash clothes I have to use double the soap or wash it twice. And the smell/taste....? Byuk! my initial thought was that i was drinking swimming pool water. I really notice the difference from NYC water.
You need a water softener. Water here is hard. NYC runs off rainwater. Welcome to the SW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The rest of us are discussing the present time, not 1979. Feel free to continue bringing up ancient history, but like you, your experiences stopped being relevant about a quarter century ago. Now, isn't it time for you to go yell at some kids to get off your lawn?

Actually we are not. You are simply being impolite. That would have been typical of a silicon valley type in the mid 70s as well as today.

They never did learn couth...

Ohh and I have been meaning to observe that you are clearly both.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 PM

549 posts, read 1,378,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
The water here is really,really bad. I have to buy lotion that is the equivalent of vaseline to keep my skin from flaking...lol. I now have dry scalp now, when I wash clothes I have to use double the soap or wash it twice. And the smell/taste....? Byuk! my initial thought was that i was drinking swimming pool water. I really notice the difference from NYC water.
I've read that Borax helps to soften the laundry water. I've tried many different additives.

As for the lotion, I don't use lotion. Most have alcohol as a base which dries the skin more. I use Moo Cream. Dry Skin - Get Udderly Smooth Udder Cream for Dry Skin These are WONDERFUL products! There is no alcohol in the cream. My legs have been so dry they literally crack and bleed- even when I was using lotion. I started using Moo Cream and no longer have that problem.

In fact, I've turned a lot of my co-workers onto Moo Cream. They laughed at the product, but for some reason they always come back for more Moo Cream! It is ~$4 per jar @ Walmart and lasts a good while. You have to really look for it!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,444,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually we are not. You are simply being impolite. That would have been typical of a silicon valley type in the mid 70s as well as today.

They never did learn couth...

Ohh and I have been meaning to observe that you are clearly both.
Yes, I think we are. I believe the line of discussion that you attached yourself to was the contemporary practice of employers providing water and other drinks to their employees, free of charge. I hate to begrudge your stroll down memory lane, but your 15 year old Xerox observations bear little resemblance to contemporary Silicon Valley.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM

815 posts, read 2,048,519 times
How about that water!
Wow! It's that bad!
My theory is that drinking LV water makes one overly sensitive AND picky!
Six pages! Rivals the real estate page.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Yes, I think we are. I believe the line of discussion that you attached yourself to was the contemporary practice of employers providing water and other drinks to their employees, free of charge. I hate to begrudge your stroll down memory lane, but your 15 year old Xerox observations bear little resemblance to contemporary Silicon Valley.
I am reasonably current on silicon valley practices. Free services in silicon valley are not new. Even free meals with fine chefs were available many years ago. They have always run over a gamut...which has probably gotten more liberal over the years primarily because of the loss of production people who often lacked the freebies of the technical class.

I do find it amusing that I describe free services in silicon valley and you claim my view is no longer accurate.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,830,137 times
Back to the water in LV. When I have my sink out for remodeling, is the recommendation of the board here a simple filter system or RO system. Remember I'll only be using my condo 3-4 times a year if that makes a difference. I need something. The water we have in Portland is very good.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,444,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am reasonably current on silicon valley practices. Free services in silicon valley are not new. Even free meals with fine chefs were available many years ago. They have always run over a gamut...which has probably gotten more liberal over the years primarily because of the loss of production people who often lacked the freebies of the technical class.

I do find it amusing that I describe free services in silicon valley and you claim my view is no longer accurate.
You describe a company that was benevolent to the point of springing for free coffee on hot projects that required 70 hour work weeks. That's not a recipe for success in today's Silicon Valley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt
It is not universal Tony. In the case of Xerox it was standard at PARC and not done at other facilities. Generally every department had a coffee pool.

I would note though that on a couple of hot projects we implemented free coffee to partially compensate for the 70 hour weeks.
A company culture like that would have extreme difficulty attracting and retaining quality personnel in Silicon Vally. It's just not how things are done here these days.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
You describe a company that was benevolent to the point of springing for free coffee on hot projects that required 70 hour work weeks. That's not a recipe for success in today's Silicon Valley.A company culture like that would have extreme difficulty attracting and retaining quality personnel in Silicon Vally. It's just not how things are done here these days.

The other operations were not in silicon valley.

PARC was the only large operation is silicon valley.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,924,888 times
Whether the water tastes good or not is probably more a personal preference. There are many people here in the northern parts of MI that prefer well water. I, personally, cannot even stand the smell of it.

But...what about the safety? And how do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas