Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:34 PM

11 posts, read 90,052 times

Advertisements

You all seem like an up front and honest group of folks, so give it it me straight if you care to. The situation:

A few of us (Sister In-Law, her husband and son, my fiance and I) are seriously considering relocating to Las Vegas. My brother in-law and I are both in the trades (electrical, refrigeration) and my fiance and her sister are both in healthcare (both medical assistants and have plans for nursing school). We have no children, and they have one five-year-old son.

A few important details of our situation. My parents built a house in Southern Highlands and have been renting it out ever since (being built). My parents figured they wanted to retire there in LV, but have since changed their minds (hated the summer weather :rollseyes: ). Their renters have left, and now an opportunity to relocate with relative ease has presented itself. My fiance and I would be taking over the house, with my sister in-law and other half chipping in. In the long term, they (sister in-law) are planning on purchasing a home in the same area.

My brother in-law and I are going to come into town to job hunt for a week or so in January. It would be ideal to find employment prior to moving out. I have a feeling there are a ton of 'migrant' workers (from other areas in the US moving to Vegas for illusions of grandeur) and I want to sort of 'gauge' the employers willingness to work with someone relocating from outside of the area.

What's the climate looking like out there (healthcare and skilled trade employment, schooling for the youngster, neighborhood status, etc.) for us newcomers? I haven't been in the neighborhood in a while, but I remember Southern Highlands as being very clean and easy going. Grocery close by, and no trouble in the area. My mom tells me that the best schools are in the area, if not closely surrounding.

Sorry for being drawn out. So what do the experts think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,154 times
You've asked a great deal of questions I think best answered by the others there more familiar with the job market but one thing I wanted to mention was, I don't think more than one family can reside in a single family house in Southern Highlands. HOA rules are pretty strict about that and the neighbors would soon notice.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
also, the odds of finding a job in a week are like winning at a slot machine

Old 12-13-2009, 07:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
You've asked a great deal of questions I think best answered by the others there more familiar with the job market but one thing I wanted to mention was, I don't think more than one family can reside in a single family house in Southern Highlands. HOA rules are pretty strict about that and the neighbors would soon notice.

As long as they are related it is a single family. No HOA would dare touch that.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
The job market out here is TERRIBLE!! Read the local chat above to find out.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,208 times
[quote=sixsevenone;12013316]You all seem like an up front and honest group of folks

Responses can be deceiving.

My brother in-law and I are both in the trades (electrical, refrigeration)/quote]

's good you're in refrigeration, but to get a job in it you're best to come in the heat. Not saying you can't get hired right now, but it'll be harder. My wife found employment 2 weeks after she got her NV ID (our version of the Holy Grail)--she was promptly fired as the biz hired too many.

As an auto repair shop owner, I hired a guy part time, which quickly morphed into full time, and just as suddenly in this holiday season has changed to no time. There is opportunity here but I'd recommend being prepared to weather the ups and downs. I had plans before I arrived and I'm doing all right, but a lot of people are riding the razor's edge. In my industrial complex, 4 auto-related businesses have closed in the last month. And yes, it does take a mad man to open another in the face of these debilitating statistics. Just like it takes a mad man with skills in electrical and refrigeration to make it now. Best of luck. It's not easy but it can be done.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
Unemployment is at 13% analysts say it's closer to 20% unemployment. With that high of unemployment you will find allot of people will not be paying their bills.

Construction jobs are scarce the union for tradesman have signs up at their doors that there is no jobs right now. CityCenter is laying off 9000 construction workers they should be totally done there in two months.

Refrigeration could be good but there is allot of competition out here trying to survive.
As far as medical some hospitals have closed off entire wings. The main thing is to make sure you have jobs before you come to Vegas.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsevenone View Post
It would be ideal to find employment prior to moving out.
"ideal" is an understatement. It is now a pre-requisite to have a job there BEFORE moving. Simply...don't move there unless you all have jobs lined up, period.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
You have a local address, use it. Get a local throw away cell phone for your resume's etc.

Unemployment here is awful. I can't even explain to you how many people are out of work. Don't do it unless you have a lot of savings or can get good enough jobs to make it here. Las Vegas is a great place to live but there's no way you could say things here are 'easy' these days. If your parents have any connections, use them. The housing thing is great but you still have to be able to pay for utilities, insurance, taxes, car registrations, food, etc.

If you were to honestly add up all the unemployed, even those who have no more bennies, and the underemployed, people working for less money than they are used to or part time instead of full time, I think unemployment here would be hovering around 35%. In just a few weeks all the seasonal temps hired for Christmas will be back on the street too. It's tough out there!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM

109 posts, read 500,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
"ideal" is an understatement. It is now a pre-requisite to have a job there BEFORE moving. Simply...don't move there unless you all have jobs lined up, period.
This is the most important piece of advice for any one moving here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas