Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medc11 View Post
We would never have considered Vegas if it weren't for his job. Given today's economy & the lack of jobs to choose from, we really can't be too picky. If we had other options we certainly would have considered them. I can only assume that you do not have children. Otherwise, you would understand all too well the costs involved in raising them and the unrealistic notion of just picking up & leaving without any employment security. Sounds good on paper but just ain't gonna happen - unless you are a las vegas drunk
There is another way...if you are so bent on getting your kids out of this city...you and the kids go where you want to go, find your happy spot and let your husband work here until he cannot anymore. This is what I do. While the reason I moved myself and my daughter back to MI (yes, MI...that terribly, scary, unemployable state...actually a suburb of that nasty destitute, Detroit)differs from why you want out, the facts are similar. My husband got a job here (because as we know...nothing in Detroit/MI)so we moved here. All was well, daughter was going to Coronado and liking it ok. She made great friends, well mannered, non partying girls with professional parents who did not dress as hoochies. But, my husband and I love it here so we wanted to buy. This takes time and we did not want to rent any longer. I also wanted to move to the NW out of Henderson (which I liked, I just like the NW more) I did not really want to move her for the 3rd time to a different HS. Plus, I wasn't sure how long the purchasing process would take...so we moved back. (still had our home there...well you know...MI economy and all...) We bought a home here in the NW and we commute as much as we can. I cannot wait to be out here full time. Couple more years, maybe less. You may say, "OMG, I could never do that!" but you can, because you see, there are negatives and positives in both situations...so at least your kids would be in what you consider "better". And you and your husband are adults, you should be able to rise above it all for your children, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
DavieJ89... LONG story so I will sum it up.... husband got a job here that I never dreamed he would be offered, we moved, we bought a house, he got stupid & abusive, I left him, filed for divorce, HUGE custody battle, moved away, kids missed dad & friends, I loved them enough to move back to help them adjust to divorce, more problems with stupid, more court battles (and idiot lawyers and lawyer-judges), stupid finally legally contained.

I visited here with my mom when I was 15. She asked me, "So, what do you think about Vegas?" I replied, "Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live here." Still don't want to live here, but it is what it is.

I don't gamble, I rarely drink, I don't do drugs. I don't care about spending tons of money to be entertained nor fight crowds to get somewhere. Vegas is in the middle of no where with few natural resources except heat. I don't like heat either! I like 4 seasons. And, as a parent, I want my kids to have a quality education and choices for colleges that won't require me living in a cave.

No DavieJ89, I don't like it, but I will make the best of it until I can get the heck out of here.
So, I take it your kids aren't going to miss him again when you move this time?

Quote:
Not everything is an 'injustice' to me and I certainly didn't say or mean to imply that. Perhaps that is the impression you get from my style of writing, but certainly not the way I actually feel.

You have made assumptions about the cross walk situation. I drove my children to school. I witnessed children coming very, very close to being run down because of inconsiderate, head up their arse drivers. That is what community is all about --- not just helping and protecting your own, but helping and protecting others.
It is good that you are looking out for the better of any community you stay in. Regardless of whether you like it or not. That said, I have been driving kids to school for more years than I care to mention...from preschool, on up to HS...in all different cities. I have got to say I have NEVER seen a good school pick up/drop off situation. EVER. They are horrible and the people picking up their children can be total morons. I am surprised there are not more accidents reported. It is nuts. Everywhere.

Quote:
I happen to disagree Kaiminani (who would have thought?). That is exactly why parenting is such a unique discipline. Parenting is EXACTLY like law enforcement in so many ways. It is a parents responsibility to teach a child that certain acts are not acceptable, immoral, or illegal.

If a parent does not teach those principals to their children, what do we have? We have a child that will get in trouble with the law eventually down the line. When a parent sets the ground rules for expected behavior it is very much like legislators setting the laws for an orderly society. If we have children that do not follow the ground rules, then we have a disorderly society.

What happens when ground rules (laws) are broken? There are consequences. This is the way I see it and I've had quite a few parents, cops, psychologists, etc., agree with me; I can impose the discipline or later on down the road a police officer, prosecutor, judge &/or jury can impose discipline. I choose to impose the consequences hoping to impress upon the child that they really don't want to go down the other path
Possibly some of the law enforcement parenting style that you follow comes from studying to be in law enforcement...or studying law. My father was in the service and then went on to be a cop. He raised us according to what he learned and knew. Which was kind of a shame when you consider those fields are not real compassionate. He may have spent way too much time playing the cop part, and not enough playing the daddy part. We were extremely good at finding ways to get around his detective mentality. Sometimes succeeded, sometimes paid the price. (none as severe as being kicked out, thank goodness, but that was never an established consequence in the beginning so...) I agree there must be rules and consequences, but they are your children, not your defendants, so you do need a little room for compassion towards them. I agree with the poster who mentioned that the punishment did not fit the crime. Although, if by kicking her out, you mean you just sent her to college...pretty sure that is not the same as kicking her out to the streets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
But the average temps this time of year are like Mid-50s in the day and low 30s at night in Vegas correct? 40 Degrees feels a lot colder in Orlando then it does in CT. Does the same apply to Vegas? Feeling colder then it actually is compared to somewhere in New England that might be the same temperature?
I get cold in the 50s in Vegas, whereas if it was 50 in MI right now, I would be swimming!!! (little exaggeration, but you KWIM) And I think you are right about the temps here. Give or take a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
So, I take it your kids aren't going to miss him again when you move this time?

Possibly some of the law enforcement parenting style that you follow comes from studying to be in law enforcement...or studying law.

My father was in the service and then went on to be a cop. He raised us according to what he learned and knew. Which was kind of a shame when you consider those fields are not real compassionate.

so you do need a little room for compassion towards them. I agree with the poster who mentioned that the punishment did not fit the crime. Although, if by kicking her out, you mean you just sent her to college...pretty sure that is not the same as kicking her out to the streets..
I would have to say that, no, the kids are probably not going to miss him as they did last time. His behavior has been absolutely unacceptable to what a grown man should act. My oldest daughter doesn't speak to him. He refused to let our younger daughter visit with him for the last 4 years and only 'allows' our son to visit. It took a LOT of research to find the answer to that one, but I eventually found it in one sentence; basically, abusers want to teach their male children to abuse and control females. I'll be damn if I let him teach our son to abuse. He has limited visitation and we'll be back in court after the new year, unfortunately.

Possibly, yes, I see consequences in terms of law or reason, but I do have compassion, after all I was a nurse. Granted, a good nurse has less compassion for those that do stupid things to themselves. Like the suicide patient that tries to blow a hole through his head who only ends up blowing out the temporal of his head and is blind for the rest of his life requiring special services. Why? Because his wife wanted a divorce. Or the idiot drug dealer that stole his grandmother's car and gun only to have the gun taken away from him by another drug dealer and run over with his grandmother's car. Regardless if anyone agrees with the consequences I set, they were set and I enforced them.

Good point.. "He raised us according to what he learned and knew." I think every parent does that. Of course, we do alter some things that we may have liked or not liked as children. For instance, I am a heck of a lot more involved with my kids, their schools, etc., than my parents were with me - that I recall. I am more pro-education than I remember my parents being and I am the only one that has ingrained in my children from when they were little that they need a college degree and failure is not an option.

I told her to leave. She was 2 wks from leaving to go to college. She spent those 2 wks with a friend while I took some time to cool off. That is a much better approach than many other scenarios I can think of.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
I think you sound fair, whether I agree with what you choose to rule about or not. I know it is not easy raising your children anywhere with two active parents, much less one. So, sometimes a single parent has to show their children that they are just as serious about their rules as if there were two parents. Seems that a lot of children tend to try to pull stuff on their moms moreso than their fathers. They think we are weaker and a lot are, so I do understand.

Good luck!! I hope you get where you want to go as soon as possible!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:46 AM

53 posts, read 89,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medc11 View Post
[/b]

And I SOOO disagree here! That's a generalization & a stereotype, much like me saying that my kids are going to turn out to be hookers & drug dealers b/c we live in LV.

I like fake boobs but seriously don't understand the reasoning for tattoos. I'd prefer not to live around the "soon to visit" Sturgis or Burning Man crowd.

Did you move back home?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
You revived a six year old thread to ask the OP, who has not posted on C-D for six years if they "moved back home?"

Come on

There are enough current threads on mindless topics.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
You revived a six year old thread to ask the OP, who has not posted on C-D for six years if they "moved back home?"

Come on

I was just about to post the same thing. I know we all miss the date of postings from time to time, but have to wonder why anyone would bother to post to post a question or make a comment like this in the first place?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:54 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Zombie thread- ARISE!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:03 AM

53 posts, read 89,298 times
I still like fake boobs.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post

Come on

He needed to vent about his appreciation for fake boobs.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:43 AM

30 posts, read 50,044 times
Ive said be4 vegas isnt a place for kids. They notice what the dysfunctional adults do and eventually become one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas