Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im living with my parents so I can save money to move to LV

Im not from Orlando originally, I was born in Connecticut actually. So I am not a statistic to a study. I am 1200 miles from where I was born!

FL's education system is better then NV's? I find that surprising actually. FL is usually low on all the national lists as well, the Orange County School District did recieve an A by FL though so I suppose I graduated from a good school system.

Im back with my parents now because my father has a guaranteed income. He is 63 and is now collecting social security and his SS is more then enough to cover the rent and utilities. I have an agreement with him to pay the cable and the internet which is $78 a month, along with bils I already have (car insurance, car payment, gas, cell phone, credit cards, etc) The rest of my money is being saved to move to LV. I have $300 so far from saving this month. I bring in about $900-$1100 monthly after taxes and car payment (takes $52 a week out of my check automatically) and depending on how many hours I get. I currently make $9 an hour

With the money I will have saved up by the time I arrive in LV I will have enough to last about 5-6 months upon arriving. Im just keeping an eye on the economy and the job market
I'm not from Vegas either, so I'm not a statistic in that sense either. I said the study said MOST people. Obviously there are exceptions.

Yes, FL ranks much higher than Nevada. In fact, the only state that ranks less than NV is MS. Now this is for public school education, but in a recent college ranking NV still ranks very low... like 350 something for UNR and worse for UNLV out of 500 schools. I keep up with these because I have both school age children and one in college.

$300 is good on $9/hr. But, you're also getting free rent. That is a HUGE plus! You don't really want to go back to living with others and saving just $27/mo, do you? I wouldn't think so.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy your visit and think your move thoroughly. Please have a plan B if plan A does not work. And, as silly as this might seem, have an "escape" plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,568,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
I'm not from Vegas either, so I'm not a statistic in that sense either. I said the study said MOST people. Obviously there are exceptions.

Yes, FL ranks much higher than Nevada. In fact, the only state that ranks less than NV is MS. Now this is for public school education, but in a recent college ranking NV still ranks very low... like 350 something for UNR and worse for UNLV out of 500 schools. I keep up with these because I have both school age children and one in college.

$300 is good on $9/hr. But, you're also getting free rent. That is a HUGE plus! You don't really want to go back to living with others and saving just $27/mo, do you? I wouldn't think so.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy your visit and think your move thoroughly. Please have a plan B if plan A does not work. And, as silly as this might seem, have an "escape" plan.
I look forward to my visit. Im surprised the schools there are ranked so low. Nevada schoosl from what people have described seem like a 180 degree difference from California which I hear has excellent schools (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I would like to save way more then $27 a month. I should be able to swing $300-$400 a month. I still plan to move on October 1, I should have $5000 in the bank by then, which should last 5-6 months if I can really stretch it and spend properly and accordingly

My "escape" plan is ot not completely quit my job but take a leave of absence. 5 months would do nicely. If I do have a job lined up and secured waiting for me upon arrival I will quit. On the chance I do not have a job lined up upon coming to Vegas is where the leave of absence comes in as oppsoed to quitting. It will give me something to come back to if things dont work out here

Another part of the escape plan is when Im down to my last $1000 I will pack up again and return to Florida. Im really hoping that does not happen. But I will know what to do if this situation does arise

So I am thinking of scenarios in case anything goes wrong

Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 35,820 times
1. Divorce rate is high because people come here from out of state for quick/cheap divorces

2. Crime is bad in some parts and almost nonexistent in others. Car theft is a major problem as well

3. Suicide, well people lose everything they have when they can't control themselves here...

Personally, i enjoy living here, close to some of the best food and entertainment on Earth. i rarely visit the strip unless I am partaking in either of those activities. If the weather were a bit better, I would want to stay here forever

Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyJames View Post
1. Divorce rate is high because people come here from out of state for quick/cheap divorces

2. Crime is bad in some parts and almost nonexistent in others. Car theft is a major problem as well

3. Suicide, well people lose everything they have when they can't control themselves here...

Personally, i enjoy living here, close to some of the best food and entertainment on Earth. i rarely visit the strip unless I am partaking in either of those activities. If the weather were a bit better, I would want to stay here forever
What aspects of the weather do you not like?

Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,940,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I look forward to my visit. Im surprised the schools there are ranked so low. Nevada schoosl from what people have described seem like a 180 degree difference from California which I hear has excellent schools (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I would like to save way more then $27 a month. I should be able to swing $300-$400 a month. I still plan to move on October 1, I should have $5000 in the bank by then, which should last 5-6 months if I can really stretch it and spend properly and accordingly

My "escape" plan is ot not completely quit my job but take a leave of absence. 5 months would do nicely. If I do have a job lined up and secured waiting for me upon arrival I will quit. On the chance I do not have a job lined up upon coming to Vegas is where the leave of absence comes in as oppsoed to quitting. It will give me something to come back to if things dont work out here

Another part of the escape plan is when Im down to my last $1000 I will pack up again and return to Florida. Im really hoping that does not happen. But I will know what to do if this situation does arise

So I am thinking of scenarios in case anything goes wrong
As far as the schools go, you can be a big part of that. Know what you want and work hard towards it. I heard all the same junk when I was researching my move...for my DD that was entering 9th grade. There are exceptions and statistics have a lot of "gray" space, IMO. The school I chose I really liked. She did very well. I do think there were some subjects that were behind the schools in MI, but they were so much more strict than her school in MI. They constantly called and kept you informed as to what was going on, her orchestra class was 10 times better than what she had been used to. Far more professional and far more concerts, some of which were voluntary. I was very impressed by that and actually worried that she would not do well. (Actually, when we moved back here, she finished it out in 9th and decided it was too boring here to continue, I figured as much). I don't care what school you attend and how "good" it is statistically, a non-caring student can fail out just as well as a caring student can become a valedictorian at a statistically weak school.

As far as the finances you are projecting you will have, when I moved there, there was a couple that moved there at the same time we did. They had over $10,000. saved. They did rent an apt that was rather steep ($1200. a month)but they figured that due to their extensive waitress/bartending/waiter experience they would have jobs in no time. They lasted 6 mos., she had just landed a job at a non-gaming restaurant which had just opened and she was not making much, he couldn't find one at all and they applied everywhere AND had even met some people who could be considered contacts. They broke their lease, which was not cheap, and moved back.

Do not rent a year lease, for sure. Just saying this for advice. I stick with my original thought; live a little. Vegas does not have to be your end-all and yet neither does Orlando. Who knows, along your adventure you may find someone or something that opens doors for you somewhere else! Be happy!!!!

I am pretty sure that most people who are moving because they are sick of where they live, get the same advice you are getting. But they do it anyway. Sometimes we just have to learn on our own and sometimes it is the ONLY way we will learn. You have an escape plan, just be careful.

Where are you looking to live? Since you have been researching for a while, you must have some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
What aspects of the weather do you not like?
And where do you consider the weather better? (just curious)

Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

I left my question about not liking the weather open ended on purpose. My assumption is that the intense summer heat was the problem, but didn't want to mention that initially.

I think the weather in Vegas from what I know is better than the weather in most other places in this country. I'd take Vegas weather over dealing with the long, snowy, icy and cold winters that are found throughout much of the nation.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I left my question about not liking the weather open ended on purpose. My assumption is that the intense summer heat was the problem, but didn't want to mention that initially.

I think the weather in Vegas from what I know is better than the weather in most other places in this country. I'd take Vegas weather over dealing with the long, snowy, icy and cold winters that are found throughout much of the nation.
Oops, I meant to copy the posters comment that you were questioning...I was just adding on...sorry!

I do agree with you about Vegas weather!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
As far as the schools go, you can be a big part of that. Know what you want and work hard towards it. I heard all the same junk when I was researching my move...for my DD that was entering 9th grade. There are exceptions and statistics have a lot of "gray" space, IMO. The school I chose I really liked. She did very well. I do think there were some subjects that were behind the schools in MI, but they were so much more strict than her school in MI. They constantly called and kept you informed as to what was going on, her orchestra class was 10 times better than what she had been used to. Far more professional and far more concerts, some of which were voluntary. I was very impressed by that and actually worried that she would not do well. (Actually, when we moved back here, she finished it out in 9th and decided it was too boring here to continue, I figured as much). I don't care what school you attend and how "good" it is statistically, a non-caring student can fail out just as well as a caring student can become a valedictorian at a statistically weak school.

As far as the finances you are projecting you will have, when I moved there, there was a couple that moved there at the same time we did. They had over $10,000. saved. They did rent an apt that was rather steep ($1200. a month)but they figured that due to their extensive waitress/bartending/waiter experience they would have jobs in no time. They lasted 6 mos., she had just landed a job at a non-gaming restaurant which had just opened and she was not making much, he couldn't find one at all and they applied everywhere AND had even met some people who could be considered contacts. They broke their lease, which was not cheap, and moved back.

Do not rent a year lease, for sure. Just saying this for advice. I stick with my original thought; live a little. Vegas does not have to be your end-all and yet neither does Orlando. Who knows, along your adventure you may find someone or something that opens doors for you somewhere else! Be happy!!!!

I am pretty sure that most people who are moving because they are sick of where they live, get the same advice you are getting. But they do it anyway. Sometimes we just have to learn on our own and sometimes it is the ONLY way we will learn. You have an escape plan, just be careful.

Where are you looking to live? Since you have been researching for a while, you must have some ideas.

Im planning on renting a room out of a house or apt to stretch my money out more. Im interested in Centennial Hills, Summerlin Area, Aliante, Henderson I have found several rooms for rent between $300 and $400 a month in these areas. Mostlikely on the north or northwestern suburbs of the city, near the 215 freeway. if I have ajob on the strip Id be willing to move.

As far as Aliante goes I know North Las Vegas has been problematic for crime for many years and this is the only area of North LV that seems relatively safe. What other areas of Clark County are problematic as far as crime is concerned?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 PM

You don't have to move, if you have a Strip job unless you are planning on walking or have troublesome transportation. We make it to the Strip in less than 30 mins from Centennial Hills. We love it!

When we lived in Henderson, sometimes it took just as long due to larger amounts of traffic.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
You don't have to move, if you have a Strip job unless you are planning on walking or have troublesome transportation. We make it to the Strip in less than 30 mins from Centennial Hills. We love it!

When we lived in Henderson, sometimes it took just as long due to larger amounts of traffic.
So Vegas Traffic isnt as bad as this?

thats a picture of I-4 just north of Downtown Orlando during rush hour. How often does it get this bad in LV?

Also on Google Maps, Las vegas doesnt seem to be quite as spread out as Orlando does either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas