Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
got news for ya' - get those florida plates, move to vegas, get pulled over, if you've been here more than 30 days without nevada plates, you will have a heart attack when you see the fine.
You know what's sad is I have known people that didn't change their plates. Somehow they kept their plates from their old home state... and I'm not talking a near state either... like MI. They claimed they had a residence there and therefore could keep their plates.

I don't know how they got around the emissions/smog tests for their home states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
simple, you can do an ohio smog here in nevada and mail the results with the registration.. some people take chances, i don't. I don't want to go to court and fight the tickets... Ohio just doubled the plate charge anyway so its over a hundred now for a year.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
simple, you can do an ohio smog here in nevada and mail the results with the registration.. some people take chances, i don't. I don't want to go to court and fight the tickets... Ohio just doubled the plate charge anyway so its over a hundred now for a year.
I actually do plan on paying full price for registration if I must. I'd rahter pay $195 for one plate i can use and one that I cant then pay whatever fine the sate of Nevada will pull out of their ass for me waiting more then 30 days to get nevada plates

Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
$1000 fine.. plus you must get a nevada dl within 30 days... and you must have insurance written on NEVADA paper.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
$1000 fine.. plus you must get a nevada dl within 30 days... and you must have insurance written on NEVADA paper.
Wow, the fine for not having Nevada plates is higher than a DUI. It sounds like this state has some misplaced priorities.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
That didn't work for TN. You have to have your emissions/smog there unless you're military. Of course, that was back in 2000. I guess it is just state dependent.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Well, I actually let my TN plates get to expiration because the plates out here were so darn expensive. Of course, I usually drive the speed limit and not like a bat out of hell. I have never been pulled over here- yet.

In streets that I travel frequently and I know the cops set up radar, I set my cruise at 35, take my foot off the peddle, and sit back and cruise. I can't tell you how many times cruising at 35 has saved my butt!

I'm all NV now and have been for years, but moving is expensive so I had to make choices.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
You've told me this before I think in another one of my threads

Thats why I plan to register my car and get my NV license asap when I do go there, insurance as well. Have already spoken with my insurance company about it, my rate would go up $30 a month for similar coverage I have in FL. I spoke with them already

Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
Well, I actually let my TN plates get to expiration because the plates out here were so darn expensive. Of course, I usually drive the speed limit and not like a bat out of hell. I have never been pulled over here- yet.

In streets that I travel frequently and I know the cops set up radar, I set my cruise at 35, take my foot off the peddle, and sit back and cruise. I can't tell you how many times cruising at 35 has saved my butt!

I'm all NV now and have been for years, but moving is expensive so I had to make choices.
I guess Im gonna rack up quite a few speeding tickets then in Vegas. I have a very heavy foot. Florida has a lot of ppl from various places so we have many various driving styles, and having toursists from all over the world who rent cars (God knows how?) so that adds to the chaos here. I imagine driving in Vegas is very similar.

Maybe its because Im young but I have a tendency to drive 5-15 mph over the speed limit and if at the front of the pack at a red light, Im usually the first car out of the intersection. My dad always tells me when we're on the freeway that its not Nascar.

Here in Orlando on Interstate 4, going through downtown the speed limit is only 50 MPH but ppl tend to do 70-75 regardless of what the speed limit is, thus we have tons of accidents on I-4, especially by downtown where there is a huge interchange with the east west expressway, and many downtown street exits that are dangerously close to each other, its 8 lanes of pure all american freeway hell

I always do 70 on the freeways and tollways here (you cant use any highway in orlando without paying a toll except I4) just to keep up with traffic. If you're on I-4 and plan to do 50 or 55 mph, turn on your flashers so we can go around you you slow poke

How is driving on the freeways there? Is it as hellacious as it is here? I know there are no tolls which I definitely look forward to

Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I guess Im gonna rack up quite a few speeding tickets then in Vegas. I have a very heavy foot. Florida has a lot of ppl from various places so we have many various driving styles, and having toursists from all over the world who rent cars (God knows how?) so that adds to the chaos here. I imagine driving in Vegas is very similar.

Maybe its because Im young but I have a tendency to drive 5-15 mph over the speed limit and if at the front of the pack at a red light, Im usually the first car out of the intersection. My dad always tells me when we're on the freeway that its not Nascar.

Here in Orlando on Interstate 4, going through downtown the speed limit is only 50 MPH but ppl tend to do 70-75 regardless of what the speed limit is, thus we have tons of accidents on I-4, especially by downtown where there is a huge interchange with the east west expressway, and many downtown street exits that are dangerously close to each other, its 8 lanes of pure all american freeway hell

I always do 70 on the freeways and tollways here (Orlando is no 1 in america for numbe rof tolls booths btw) just to keep up with traffic. If you're on I-4 and plan to do 50 or 55 mph, turn on your flashers so we can go around you you slow poke

How is driving on the freeways there? Is it as hellacious as it is here? I know there are no tolls which I definitely look forward to
I drive the same way, and I only got 2 speeding tickets in the 4 years I have lived here. The first was one was for going over 100 mph in a 45 zone. I definitely deserved that one, and that was the night I got my DUI too. I got another one in Henderson for going 65 in a 45. Be forewarned that speeding tickets are extremely expensive. They start at $300, and go all the way up to $1,000 if it is in a school zone. It has now been 2 and a half years since I have gotten a speeding ticket. I have definitely mellowed out, and having a slow car definitely helps me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas