Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,799 times

Advertisements

I have lived all over the country and have never seen a place like Las Vegas for barking dogs. I am no dog hater but some of these dogs are at it 24/7. Once one starts barking at night they all chime in. If anybody walks down the street at any time of the day the dogs go mental. I have to carry pepper spray when I go for my one hour walk because I have twice been confronted with pit bulls on the loose. One time two of them came through a hole in the fence. If I didn't have the pepper spray with me I wouldn't be typing this message right now as I would probably be dead. I don't blame the dogs I blame the moronic dog owners that cannot or will not control their dogs. I just came back from my walk. There was a Chihuahua running loose and he wanted to bite me. I really wanted to give him a flying drop kick but I was able to control myself. The brain dead moron who lets the dog out has to know that the dog is a nuisance. I should be able to walk on a public sidewalk without worrying about getting bit by a loose dog. As I am typing this their is a dog barking near my house and he had been going nonstop for 2 hours. I want all you North Las Vegas dog owners who let their dog loose that I will not hesitate to use my pepper spray if your dog comes near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobo52 View Post
I have lived all over the country and have never seen a place like Las Vegas for barking dogs. I am no dog hater but some of these dogs are at it 24/7. Once one starts barking at night they all chime in. If anybody walks down the street at any time of the day the dogs go mental. I have to carry pepper spray when I go for my one hour walk because I have twice been confronted with pit bulls on the loose. One time two of them came through a hole in the fence. If I didn't have the pepper spray with me I wouldn't be typing this message right now as I would probably be dead. I don't blame the dogs I blame the moronic dog owners that cannot or will not control their dogs. I just came back from my walk. There was a Chihuahua running loose and he wanted to bite me. I really wanted to give him a flying drop kick but I was able to control myself. The brain dead moron who lets the dog out has to know that the dog is a nuisance. I should be able to walk on a public sidewalk without worrying about getting bit by a loose dog. As I am typing this their is a dog barking near my house and he had been going nonstop for 2 hours. I want all you North Las Vegas dog owners who let their dog loose that I will not hesitate to use my pepper spray if your dog comes near me.

I agree with you completely, but well, I hate to say it, but you're in North Las Vegas, pitbull territory. BUT, it only gets a LITTLE better elsewhere in the valley. It's really all over the place. The class of people moving here, its their breed of choice and whats mostly available at the various shelters for adoption. Feel bad for the apartment and condo people, living next to or above and below a constant barking dog. Ugh! And some of these management companies (apt and condo mgmt. and HOA management) do little or nothing to curb that annoyance.

Not only the constant barking dogs (call Animal Control and report the nuisance) but what about the new breed of low class residents who are moving here who truly believe that walking their dogs down their street and using everybody's lawn and rockscape as the doggy potty and leaving it there, is now the new norm.

Dog owners need to be made responsible for dogs. See if Animal Control can help you 633-1750, 229-6444

If the irresponsible owners are too numerous, move as soon as you can and do your due diligence about where you move to and WHO AND WHAT is living around you. Bad news is that we're going to have to get used to it, its the class of people that are moving in to town, especially in the rentals.

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 09-24-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Very generalized statements from the last two posters may or may not apply to others, regardless of where you live. For example, I live in North Las Vegas and have not had any of the issues the two of you mention. Should I follow suit and extrapolate my sample size of one and say it holds true for all of North Las Vegas?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Animal Control won't help.

I have a neighbor who had a string of pit bulls. They all died from being left out in the elements 24/7/365. All of them barked all day and all night because of neglect.

Any time I called animal control, they'd just tell me, "Well, it's their culture. Nothing we can do." (They assume everyone who owns a pit bull falls into a certain category, apparently.)

I also have (and continue to have) the annoying little rat-dog chihuahua whose owner lets it run loose in the neighborhood -- chases after anyone on a bicycle and poops in everyone's front yard. Again, Animal Control won't come. "It's their culture. Nothing we can do."

But I'll bet if I took a shot at the dog while it was crapping in my driveway, someone would come quickly.... :-(

Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM

526 posts, read 832,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Animal Control won't help. "It's their culture. Nothing we can do."
But I'll bet if I took a shot at the dog while it was crapping in my driveway, someone would come quickly.... :-(

IS IT IN YOUR CULTURE !

Old 09-24-2013, 02:56 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:

I have a neighbor who had a string of pit bulls. They all died from being left out in the elements 24/7/365. All of them barked all day and all night because of neglect.

Any time I called animal control, they'd just tell me, "Well, it's their culture. Nothing we can do." (They assume everyone who owns a pit bull falls into a certain category, apparently.)

I also have (and continue to have) the annoying little rat-dog chihuahua whose owner lets it run loose in the neighborhood -- chases after anyone on a bicycle and poops in everyone's front yard. Again, Animal Control won't come. "It's their culture. Nothing we can do."

That's really the response they gave you? You should forward that to channel 13 with their investigative specials they do.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
It was a few years ago. But yes, that was their response. I've never called them since. They're useless.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:

Actually I suspect you are zoned as I am - and an animal pooping on the road side violates no law. It is not customary to clean up after horses in equestrian zones...and small animals are covered by their larger brethren. One of the joys of semi rural living. Note there is no leash law either though there is a requirement that the animal be under control at all times.

Animal Control or the ASPCA can fix these things. You just have to work at it. If animal control does not cover head to your county commissioner. Hell in NLV you may be able to get Tom Collins to ride by and shoot the creature. Tom is very good at making such problems disappear. It is rumored he will even take care of tree stumps that need a little killing.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
First, don't call animal control.. You may hate the barking, but if they come out, the dog is doomed to death.... My dogs aren't any issue, but if you did it to me.... well put it this way.... i love my dogs more than most humans here and you would have to have to watch your back, no telling what I would do. I can guarantee it wouldn't be pretty.....

Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
First, don't call animal control.. You may hate the barking, but if they come out, the dog is doomed to death.... My dogs aren't any issue, but if you did it to me.... well put it this way.... i love my dogs more than most humans here and you would have to have to watch your back, no telling what I would do. I can guarantee it wouldn't be pretty.....
You live in the City though...notorious for its out of control animal control. I don't think it is anywhere near as bad in the other municipalities.

But you went through the trial next door. How would you deal with a barking or neglected dog.

Out my way a dog running loose would end up dead. No one would know how it happens but it does.

We had a bad pit bull for a while who even went over the wall and attacked the dog next door inside the house next door. That wqs actually resolved amicably by the payment of big vet bills and a wall modification. The County was involved in that deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas