Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 AM

990 posts, read 1,654,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Dogs bark to call for help. When the master leaves the dogs don't know whether he'll ever be back, so they bark. They are scared. Can they get to the garage from the back yard without escaping? If you put a doggy door in for them to enter the garage they might just go inside and sleep all day. Leave a light on for them though, and maybe a radio or even a TV. It's too bad they can't be in the house. It's expensive but maybe you need to take them to Doggy Day Care.

You actually crate them when you get home? What's that all about? I can't understand why people treat dogs like a possession instead of a member of the family. I mean, why have a dog if they have to live in a crate? How'd you like to be left alone all day then when the one person who could give you some attention comes home he puts you in a crate? You should just give them to someone who would appreciate them and show them some love and attention.

Very good advice. Some people shouldn't even had dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 AM

43 posts, read 206,902 times
I like how this quickly went accusatory. I'm not a bad dog parent, nor do I come home and immediately lock my dogs in cages. If you must know why they go into the crates at night, it's because the middle one has a habit of peeing all over the bed when she has a bad dream. She pees on the bed but not in the crate. We ended up waking up to pee-soaked sheets and a pee-soaked Tempurpedic foam mattress about 10 times in 6 months before we decided it was time for the dogs to sleep in the crates at night. And no, it had nothing to do with her desperately needing to go potty and us just ignoring her, we often would get up 3-4 times a night to let them out to go empty and she'd still let loose in the bed. We took her to the vet and he couldn't find any reason for her peeing in the bed, and he asked if we crate trained. PetSmart also told us to crate train. The oldest one is the dominant one and likes to sleep ontop of your head. Plus around that time, we also had our baby and he slept in the bed with us.

It was fine when we were younger and they were smaller, but when you have two adults, three 40-50 pound dogs and a baby in the bed, it becomes too much. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have dogs. You guys know sooooo much about dogs, but dogs actually prefer crates - it's considered a den to them. They keep it clean and they don't go potty in their kennels and it's like their home.

But again, my dogs don't get banished to the crate when I get home. They go into their crates when it's time to go to sleep, and that's all.

I already pay for kiddie day care. I can't afford doggie day care on top of everything else. I do the best I can with what I have. No, they can't enter the garage from the backyard, but I wouldn't want them in the garage anyway because my husband keeps a lot of toxic stuff in there for his cars. I'm not the only person in the world who keeps their dogs outside when they are at work. They have shade and fresh water and food and toys to play with while I am gone.

My dogs are loved and well taken care of. They get lots of attention when we are home. Please don't tell me I should give away members of my family because I have to work. I am a normal person who has a full time job and a husband with a full time job. I'm not the only person in my NEIGHBORHOOD who keeps their dogs outside when they go to work.

Just FYI - no the dogs aren't destructive. I've had dogs all my life and I know to keep the trash up and things out of reach if the dogs are left in the house during the day by themselves. But we never had the ability to install doggie doors and so we had a lot of house accidents. It was fine when we had tile floor and could contain them in the living room, but in our new house we have carpet and no way to block off certain parts of the house. I'm sorry that I'd rather keep the dogs outside when I'm not at home, where there is a lot of shade and even shelter in case it rains and a biiiiig huge area for them to poop and pee all they want.

Don't make accusations or tell me to give my dogs away when you don't know who I am or how I treat my animals. I don't beat them, I don't treat them poorly. But I am a normal person who works, and I'm allowed to work and have dogs.

I didn't ask for you to judge my dog raising behavior, I just asked for some advice on the noise ordinances.

Last edited by dashboardangel; 12-22-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 AM

255 posts, read 361,380 times
Have you considered having your dogs de-barked? I had to do that with dogs I once owned and kept in my apartment in Los Angeles. It was either get them de-barked or give them up. I decided to get them de-barked. It’s a simple procedure where their vocal cords are clipped. I was assured by the vet that it was not harmful for the dogs and did not cause them to be in any pain. Once the de-barking procedure was completed, when they attempted to bark, the sound was almost inaudible similar to that of a squeaky toy. Eventually their bark grew back, but it was much softer than before and by that time they were so accustomed to not barking that everything was fine from that point on.

Of course I offer this advice only as a very last resort….when all other attempts to solve the problem have failed.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
Have you considered having your dogs de-barked? I had to do that with dogs I once owned and kept in my apartment in Los Angeles. It was either get them de-barked or give them up. I decided to get them de-barked. It’s a simple procedure where their vocal cords are clipped. I was assured by the vet that it was not harmful for the dogs and did not cause them to be in any pain. Once the de-barking procedure was completed, when they attempted to bark, the sound was almost inaudible similar to that of a squeaky toy. Eventually their bark grew back, but it was much softer than before and by that time they were so accustomed to not barking that everything was fine from that point on.

Of course I offer this advice only as a very last resort….when all other attempts to solve the problem have failed.
There is already a whole thread on that in the pets section of the forum. It is cruel and mean, and should NEVER be considered. How would you like to be to have your vocal cords forcibly removed? They communicate by barking, and it damages them emotionally not to be able to bark. Enough said...

Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 AM

110 posts, read 235,299 times
Have you ever taken into consideration the thought about hiring a DOGSITTER at your home when your both at work? Dogs, one of Gods blessed creations, are social and need attention, not left alone.

Leaving the dog alone for so many hours each day will eventually result in distemper and psychological damage to the dog. If you can`t manage the situation then it would be better, for dogs sake, not to have a dog in the first place.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 AM

43 posts, read 206,902 times
Again, I have had these dogs for almost six years. They have never had any psychological damage from being outside while I'm at work. They are three sweet, loveable dogs. They get all the attention and love they want when we are at home. I have seen no issues with their temperment. The only thing "bad" about them is that they bark. I am trying to be considerate to my neighbors.

I'm not going to hire a dogsitter to hang around my house for 8 hours a day, five days a week. I'm not anywhere near wealthy enough nor do I find it necessary. People all over the world have dogs and work full time. Several women in my office have dogs, and they crate them all day long.

For the last time, please stop making comments that I shouldn't have dogs because I have to work. I have to work to provide for my family, which includes my dogs. They get a lot of love and attention every day.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM

110 posts, read 235,299 times
Obviously the dogs are crated and left alone for 8 - 12 hours a day. Your love and attention for them is only when you are home.
This is downright cruelty!! You only think about your own pleasure of petting them at times ideal to YOUR working schedule!

Just because other people are so cruel to their pets, doesn`t justify your doing the same. YOU carry the responsibility for their well being. If your unable to afford it, then p l e a s e, for dogs sake, give the dogs away to someone or canine organisation, shelter, who are capable of taking proper care of them.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barocko7 View Post
Obviously the dogs are crated and left alone for 8 - 12 hours a day. Your love and attention for them is only when you are home.
This is downright cruelty!! You only think about your own pleasure of petting them at times ideal to YOUR working schedule!

Just because other people are so cruel to their pets, doesn`t justify your doing the same. YOU carry the responsibility for their well being. If your unable to afford it, then p l e a s e, for dogs sake, give the dogs away to someone or canine organisation, shelter, who are capable of taking proper care of them.
That is not in evidence. She leaves the dogs out during the day and crates during sleeping hours.

Our pup prefers to sleep with us but is crate trained and will willingly sleep there if asked. Prefers the bed certainly but will settle for the crate.

I would repeat something I offered before. Use a recorder a couple of days and figure out what goes on for real. Then worry about what to do.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:00 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
, I've already been warned to watch my dogs because that neighbor in particular will shoot them with a bee-bee gun.
Have you tried training your dogs not to bark?

http://www.perfectpaws.com/bark.html

I've got to tell you; if I was home all day and had to listen to the incessant barking of dogs in my neighbor's back yard, I'd be tempted to shoot the neighbor with a BB gun, not the dogs.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:29 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
I like how this quickly went accusatory. I'm not a bad dog parent, nor do I come home and immediately lock my dogs in cages. If you must know why they go into the crates at night, it's because the middle one has a habit of peeing all over the bed when she has a bad dream. She pees on the bed but not in the crate. We ended up waking up to pee-soaked sheets and a pee-soaked Tempurpedic foam mattress about 10 times in 6 months before we decided it was time for the dogs to sleep in the crates at night. And no, it had nothing to do with her desperately needing to go potty and us just ignoring her, we often would get up 3-4 times a night to let them out to go empty and she'd still let loose in the bed. We took her to the vet and he couldn't find any reason for her peeing in the bed, and he asked if we crate trained. PetSmart also told us to crate train. The oldest one is the dominant one and likes to sleep ontop of your head. Plus around that time, we also had our baby and he slept in the bed with us.

It was fine when we were younger and they were smaller, but when you have two adults, three 40-50 pound dogs and a baby in the bed, it becomes too much. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have dogs. You guys know sooooo much about dogs, but dogs actually prefer crates - it's considered a den to them. They keep it clean and they don't go potty in their kennels and it's like their home.

But again, my dogs don't get banished to the crate when I get home. They go into their crates when it's time to go to sleep, and that's all.

I already pay for kiddie day care. I can't afford doggie day care on top of everything else. I do the best I can with what I have. No, they can't enter the garage from the backyard, but I wouldn't want them in the garage anyway because my husband keeps a lot of toxic stuff in there for his cars. I'm not the only person in the world who keeps their dogs outside when they are at work. They have shade and fresh water and food and toys to play with while I am gone.

My dogs are loved and well taken care of. They get lots of attention when we are home. Please don't tell me I should give away members of my family because I have to work. I am a normal person who has a full time job and a husband with a full time job. I'm not the only person in my NEIGHBORHOOD who keeps their dogs outside when they go to work.

Just FYI - no the dogs aren't destructive. I've had dogs all my life and I know to keep the trash up and things out of reach if the dogs are left in the house during the day by themselves. But we never had the ability to install doggie doors and so we had a lot of house accidents. It was fine when we had tile floor and could contain them in the living room, but in our new house we have carpet and no way to block off certain parts of the house. I'm sorry that I'd rather keep the dogs outside when I'm not at home, where there is a lot of shade and even shelter in case it rains and a biiiiig huge area for them to poop and pee all they want.

Don't make accusations or tell me to give my dogs away when you don't know who I am or how I treat my animals. I don't beat them, I don't treat them poorly. But I am a normal person who works, and I'm allowed to work and have dogs.

I didn't ask for you to judge my dog raising behavior, I just asked for some advice on the noise ordinances.
NEVER allow a baby to sleep in bed with adults. It's one of the major sources of suffocation of infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas