Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Highly intelligent and educated people get a buzz on, occasionally, and there's not a person I know that hasn't, at one point in their driving lives, risked driving under the influence, you included.
You must not associate with a terribly responsible class of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
... they said I was weaving IN MY LANE. I hadn't had a drink in at least 2 weeks so I wasn't going to hesitate to do anything they asked.

It must have been obvious I hadn't been drinking because they checked my license and let me go. No tickets or anything. They were quite courteous but it scared me!
More than scared you should be outraged. As you describe it, that's an absolute abuse of authority. They had absolutely no reason to be suspicious - the story about weaving in your lane being obvious BS given the huge presence - they obviously were just covering their arses with that justification. Courteous or not, they just accused you of being a criminal for simply driving on a public roadway and made you prove your innocence. That's USSR type stuff, not the kind of thing that should be tolerated in a free America.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 AM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
I think people are more likely to take it as a reference to the John Huston movie.
1948? A little before my time. But, I do like this concept: "an intense character study showing the corruptive and cancerous effects of greed on the souls of men." The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 AM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times
Quote:
What does 'class' and being responsible have anything to do with the other?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:54 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
1948? A little before my time. But, I do like this concept: "an intense character study showing the corruptive and cancerous effects of greed on the souls of men." The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948)
Bad-ges?

We ain't got no bad-ges!

We don't need no bad-ges.!

I don't have to show you any stinking bad-ges!!!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
My heartfelt symathies to those that associate with you, from time to time.

You sound like a terribly responsible person.

My heart goes out to the 82 NHP arrests on New Years. Any number of these people you can't label irresponsible. What a way to start off the New Year!

One doesn't stop to think: There were probably anywhere from 8,200 to 82,000 responsible New Year's revelers who luckily drove home with a blood alcohol level equal to any of those 82 "sacrificial lambs" who were just at the wrong place, wrong time, short on luck. In the newspaper report, no mention was made of any accidents involved. Sobriety checkpoints?

The DUI attorneys are probably sadly disappointed there weren't 8,200 arrests.

I had two beers (didn't even finish the second one) on Fremont Street, and being so spooked by the unexpected sobriety checkpoints, I took every residential street I could find to get back home that night.

How about some compassion for the 82!

Last edited by tijlover; 01-02-2010 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 AM

43 posts, read 206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My heartfelt symathies to those that associate with you, from time to time.

You sound like a terribly responsible person.

My heart goes out to the 82 NHP arrests on New Years. Any number of these people you can't label irresponsible. What a way to start off the New Year!

One doesn't stop to think: There were probably anywhere from 8,200 to 82,000 responsible New Year's revelers who luckily drove home with a blood alcohol level equal to any of those 82 "sacrificial lambs" who were just at the wrong place, wrong time, short on luck. In the newspaper report, no mention was made of any accidents involved. Sobriety checkpoints?

The DUI attorneys are probably sadly disappointed there weren't 8,200 arrests.

I had two beers (didn't even finish the second one) on Fremont Street, and being so spooked by the unexpected sobriety checkpoints, I took every residential street I could find to get back home that night.

How about some compassion for the 82!
Why do they deserve compassion? There are many services out there, from a taxi cab to those people who will drive you AND your car home, so that you don't have to be driving home drunk. The moment you choose to buy an alcoholic beverage, you also have to make the choice to be a responsible driver - which means you either choose to have a DD or you choose to take a risk. Those 82 people are extremely lucky that they didn't hurt anyone.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
sorry, having been hit by a drunk there is ZERO compassion.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
Why do they deserve compassion? There are many services out there, from a taxi cab to those people who will drive you AND your car home, so that you don't have to be driving home drunk. The moment you choose to buy an alcoholic beverage, you also have to make the choice to be a responsible driver - which means you either choose to have a DD or you choose to take a risk. Those 82 people are extremely lucky that they didn't hurt anyone.
I will completely agree with you here. Anyone who would have the audacity to take there car out on New Years and drink at all is an idiot. I used to drink and drive all the time. However, I made sure to do it mostly during the daytime (NEVER on holidays!!) when I could see better and the cops were not looking for it. Anytime there is a major Holiday such as labor day, 4th of July, or New Years the cops are out in full force with checkpoints. It doesn't make any sense to drive your car at these times UNLESS you are the DD and completely sober.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM

43 posts, read 206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I will completely agree with you here. Anyone who would have the audacity to take there car out on New Years and drink at all is an idiot. I used to drink and drive all the time. However, I made sure to do it mostly during the daytime (NEVER on holidays!!) when I could see better and the cops were not looking for it. Anytime there is a major Holiday such as labor day, 4th of July, or New Years the cops are out in full force with checkpoints. It doesn't make any sense to drive your car at these times UNLESS you are the DD and completely sober.

Well I was trying to make a point that you shouldn't drink and drive at all, but you are right - You have to be dumb to drive drunk on a holiday, especially when you know there are going to be lots of cops on the road and checkpoints!

Admittedly, I've had a couple of drinks and driven home in the past, but it was after I waited over 3 hours before I got back into my car. I still felt extremely guilty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas