Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
the overall politics of Nevada suck compared to Cali.
Of everything we've ever disagreed on, this has to be the thing where that difference is most striking. I could not possibly disagree with you more. We're talking polar opposites here. The politics in California is second only to the cost of living on my list of reasons for having left that state.

But each to their own, right? I do have to say that I'm not surprised in the slightest that you'd favor nanny state politics over a more libertarian climate, though. You've never struck me as the type that would favor independence and self reliance over oppression and taxpayer funded handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
You DEFINITELY made the right decision. To be honest, I am a little jealous of you and your husband to be able to live in such an awesome place. I am ten years older than you and I could not even dream of being able to live in San Diego.
You're really romanticizing life in San Diego. It's just another medium-large city, with all the problems that go with them - some of which are worse than in other major cities.

I have friends and relatives near SD and I've spent some time there visiting them and some doing some consulting work there. I even had a federal court case open in the San Diego courts for over four years. I have a pretty good idea of what living there is like, and frankly, I'd rather live in Ventura or Santa Barbara Counties. SD is ok and all, but it's not what you seem to have built it up to be in your mind.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Of everything we've ever disagreed on, this has to be the thing where that difference is most striking. I could not possibly disagree with you more. We're talking polar opposites here. The politics in California is second only to the cost of living on my list of reasons for having left that state.

But each to their own, right? I do have to say that I'm not surprised in the slightest that you'd favor nanny state politics over a more libertarian climate, though. You've never struck me as the type that would favor independence and self reliance over oppression and taxpayer funded handouts.
I agree, to each his own. California is much more of a liberal state than Nevada, by far. Everyone has their own preference though. I am as far from a libertarian or republican as you can get as you know, so I prefer California's political climate more so.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I agree, to each his own. California is much more of a liberal state than Nevada, by far. Everyone has their own preference though. I am as far from a libertarian or republican as you can get as you know, so I prefer California's political climate more so.
If I buy you a tank of gas, will you go (and stay) there?

People like you are trying to convert Nevada into California Lite and I'll do whatever I can to get you all the heck out of this state. I'd even help you pack, and be nice to you while I was doing it.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
You're really romanticizing life in San Diego. It's just another medium-large city, with all the problems that go with them - some of which are worse than in other major cities.

I have friends and relatives near SD and I've spent some time there visiting them and some doing some consulting work there. I even had a federal court case open in the San Diego courts for over four years. I have a pretty good idea of what living there is like, and frankly, I'd rather live in Ventura or Santa Barbara Counties. SD is ok and all, but it's not what you seem to have built it up to be in your mind.
Years ago I was not the loser I am now. I say that because I was MUCH more successful 5-10 years back. I used to take 7 day vacations to San Diego frequently throughout the year. I would take my friends with me on my dime. I can not say I ever lived there, but I do have a key understanding of the city. I will re literate that I would still love to live there. I know I would be very happy there. To tell you the truth, the same goes for Vegas, so I know this for a fact. I also would vacation to Vegas frequently, and I liked Vegas much more so than Phoenix. The reason I did end up moving here is because it was much more practical.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
If I buy you a tank of gas, will you go (and stay) there?

People like you are trying to convert Nevada into California Lite and I'll do whatever I can to get you all the heck out of this state. I'd even help you pack, and be nice to you while I was doing it.
Seriously, knock it off. I have a pretty large savings account since I live frugally, and I have over $12,000 in credit card limits that I can easily access. I DO NOT NEED YOUR CHARITY!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I'm fairly certain the CA Franchise Tax Board might see things differently. Be very careful here - please seek professional tax advice before going down this path.

We left Southern CA in July, mainly over the cost of living and insane taxes. Las Vegas isn't perfect, but very few places are. However, we have everything we need and plenty to do here - and more money to do it with. Our quality of life has improved dramatically. Yes, there are some very nice things about CA - all of them are still only a few hours away.

Overall, we love it here. My only regret is that we didn't leave California years ago.
Yeah, further investigation has shown me that I don't feel comfortable going that route of having our CA business in NV. I guess we'll just fork over the cash.

Perhaps Vegas might be an option in the future. I do find the area a place I wouldn't mind living, that's for sure...I really do love the desert. After some thought, however, I think we're going to stay put for the moment. I really do enjoy San Diego, for its faults and expense and all...though I'm not classifying it as an "utopia" by any means (nor am I saying anywhere on earth is that).

mod interpose: let's leave the personal banter and attacks out of this thread as it now has become distracting and is leading to off-topic personal conversation. any further attacking or baiting posts will be removed. thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-16-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas