Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,859,074 times

Advertisements

You might be better off just buying a house for a little bit more, if you are planning to use it as a second home. Probably will have lower HOA fees and will get a lot more space.

I suppose part of the upside to a condo is that you don't have to worry about maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM

990 posts, read 2,547,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oehboy View Post
Hi Folks...

I live in alberta canada and have a god job in the oilfield its finally getting better again. I just can't get over the prices there omg to live in a loft condo for $100000 close to the strip.

The price for a condo where i live now is $300000 and no parking with no view and nothing to do and snow.It just makes no sense to pay that much here when a guy could be in vegas.

So my plan is to just buy a place out right no morgage and I have checked into condo fees and taxes which i think are very reasonable for where you are living .

I work lots one month straight then 2 weeks off can fly to vegas cheap.I have been checking on other sites seems alot of canadians are buying there getting a second home and now with the dollar getting closer.

So do you think this is just a stupid pipe dream of mine or a very bad investment.Ohhh I miss vegas

If you lived where I did you understand better. Thanks for listening

The dreamer.....

I have to agree with you about the snow, BUT.......

Have you ever been in Las Vegas in July when it 114 degree out.

Let's just say the oven analogy is not that far off.

By way of observation, coming from the Northeast. When it get down to zero and snowy, you don't see people out and about.

It is EXACTLY THE SAME in Las Vegas at 114.

In some ways it becomes a Ghost town, at least outside.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM

139 posts, read 457,611 times
Eh? Eh?

You should just buy a 3br house for $100k and rent out 2 of the bedrooms to strippers. That will cover the mortgage payments. You will live for free. And you won't be bored. Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oehboy View Post
Hi Folks...

I live in alberta canada and have a god job in the oilfield its finally getting better again. I just can't get over the prices there omg to live in a loft condo for $100000 close to the strip.

The price for a condo where i live now is $300000 and no parking with no view and nothing to do and snow.It just makes no sense to pay that much here when a guy could be in vegas.

So my plan is to just buy a place out right no morgage and I have checked into condo fees and taxes which i think are very reasonable for where you are living .

I work lots one month straight then 2 weeks off can fly to vegas cheap.I have been checking on other sites seems alot of canadians are buying there getting a second home and now with the dollar getting closer.

So do you think this is just a stupid pipe dream of mine or a very bad investment.Ohhh I miss vegas

If you lived where I did you understand better. Thanks for listening

The dreamer.....

Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,750 times
Thanks for all the info.The more i think about it the house idea dose seem better alittle worried about the hoa in litigation and some condo communities in trouble.

I sure better do my homework first or I will be staying right on the strip sleeping on a bench

I am coming down there the middle of feb to look at some places talked to realtors going to show me some places.They make it seem so easy and no problems or worries.Yeah yeah for sure I want to believe its that easy

Ok I will be honest it was the stripper idea that made think about a house lol.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,827,881 times
I'm sure the strippers will take good care of the place while you're out for a month working.

Last edited by bledsoe3; 01-18-2010 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,915,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

By way of observation, coming from the Northeast. When it get down to zero and snowy, you don't see people out and about.

It is EXACTLY THE SAME in Las Vegas at 114.

In some ways it becomes a Ghost town, at least outside.

Are you sure? In my neighborhood they are all out in their pools.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,917,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Are you sure? In my neighborhood they are all out in their pools.
You stole the words right from my fingers! So, while I sit holed up in my house in MI all gray, cold, dirty winter...at least all summer long I am playing in my pool, going to the YMCA, heading out to the Strip without all the heavy gear just to get from the car to the door, enjoying the light of the sun and when the sun goes down, I can sit outside or go to a park and not worry about getting chewed up from mosquitoes. In the winter in MI, forget going out after dark...unless you have some coffee and Bailey or Schnapps, you will freeze.

So, for me anyway, I am stuck inside far more in MI than I am in Vegas.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,915,047 times
when ya coming back kimba.. im gonna be heading that way (ohio) next month for a couple weeks.. i must be out of my mind... by the way, the bailey's or schnapps sounds great but i just learned its all in our heads about warming us up.. thins the blood.. oh but it tastes soooooo good

Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM

116 posts, read 408,250 times
How does one find a job in the oilfield business ? I have been looking for months now and nothing.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,917,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
when ya coming back kimba.. im gonna be heading that way (ohio) next month for a couple weeks.. i must be out of my mind... by the way, the bailey's or schnapps sounds great but i just learned its all in our heads about warming us up.. thins the blood.. oh but it tastes soooooo good
Hoping to come back for a week in Feb for my anniversary. Then, in March, my DD and her SO are coming out for the 311 concert at Mandalay Bay, so I will come then and then in April my sister is coming out for drag racing...so hopefully then too. I cannot wait!

It's ok if it is all in my head!! I like it that way!

Enjoy, Ohio!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: