Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM

53 posts, read 243,666 times
The Central Valley in CA also has worse unemployment rates. And I think we're neck in neck with the Inland Empire, if not slightly better.

Still, pretty dire out here. I'm very fortunate to have my Walmart cashier job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 AM

293 posts, read 641,471 times
Airics.. It is a Managerial spot as that is what I did for Big 5 for 4 years...HAs the person who started this thread tried online job sites for Las Vegas? I know monster has a ton of jobs on there, just do not know how reliable they are...

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
the jobs on monster rarely even exist. they are so old..

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM

391 posts, read 1,713,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
there are ALWAYS jobs available in any city.....that being said....there are also 10,000 people looking for ANYthing available....
Very true. And what's worse is many HR and hiring managers get EXTREMELY picky, bordering on the ridiculous. In an economy like this, they won't even give your resume a second look if they feel they have a strong enough pool of local candidates. Does the position look to be a paycut, meaning you probably leave when things get better = forget you. Have you recently moved there and thus might not be rooted down = next candidate.

I also think there are a lot of "jobs" out there right now where companies are really just kind of fishing, meaning only a candidate perfectly matching a very extensive set of criteria even gets an interview.

Tough times, indeed. Pretty depressing seeing research that many people taking paycuts of 20% or more (for basically the same job they had before) will take years to recover. And the well-educated senior analysts/low-level manager types are a group that has been hit very hard, people who were at a stage where their career really starts to take off.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgrisowld View Post

i also think there are a lot of "jobs" out there right now where companies are really just kind of fishing, meaning only a candidate perfectly matching a very extensive set of criteria even gets an interview.
bingo!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
I once said on here that many people nationally still think of Las Vegas as "where the jobs are". I got shot down for saying that. I was told that there are so many news stories about the poor LV economy that everyone knows about it. I still say plenty of people have no idea.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 AM

366 posts, read 1,212,598 times
Do ANY of you look in the srevice industry? I could name 8-10 places hiring right now where after your hourly and tips you can make between 40-50K a year. This city revolves around the service industry. Maybe I am aware of thee jobs more than the average Joe on here because I work as a bartender in the industry and I hear about them on a weekly basis. Good Luck to all looking for work.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Do ANY of you look in the srevice industry? I could name 8-10 places hiring right now where after your hourly and tips you can make between 40-50K a year. This city revolves around the service industry. Maybe I am aware of thee jobs more than the average Joe on here because I work as a bartender in the industry and I hear about them on a weekly basis. Good Luck to all looking for work.
I guess my experience with Walt Disney World comes in handy here eh? AS well as my experience in retail

Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 AM

366 posts, read 1,212,598 times
Sure will Davie....Head down to espn zone (owned by Disney) . I worked there for 3 years. Great place to work and they are always hiring .

Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Sure will Davie....Head down to espn zone (owned by Disney) . I worked there for 3 years. Great place to work and they are always hiring .
I'll keep that in mind. Just remember I wont be 21 until December, I paln on moving to Vegas in October if everything financially speaking goes right

Do they have any jobs for people under 21?

I dont want another grocery store job in Las Vegas like I do in Orlando. If thats all I can get however I will do it

I'll be coming in March to check out the job market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: