Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 PM

23,837 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Sweet geezus.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Yes, you aided him, but you did not aid him in acquiring what has been established in the sentence as "such knowledge".

"Such" is an adjective that in this instance qualifies the noun "knowledge". The code you're quoting is all one sentence. The second half of the same sentence says- Such
Pronunciation: \ˈsəch, ˈsich\
Function: adjective
of the character, quality, or extent previously indicated or implied

The type of knowledge previously indicated or implied in the first half of the sentence was "knowledge, not available to all players."

In your example, that's not the type of knowledge you provided to your friend because the cards played were known to all the players.
Yes! That's exactly it! The CARDS were known to all players, not the COUNT! There's a difference!!!

SHEESH!

Edit: BTW, I know the language - YOU are the one who can't seem to read!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yes! That's exactly it! The CARDS were known to all players, not the COUNT! There's a difference!!!

SHEESH!
Wrong. If the played cards were known to them, then the count was available to them as well. The other players may choose not to keep the count, nevertheless, it was still available to them. That does not meet the bar of "knowledge, not available to all players."
Quote:
Edit: BTW, I know the language - YOU are the one who can't seem to read!!!
No, it's quite clear that you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger
Well, that's because that knowledge (counting) IS available to all players. The cards are being laid out in front of them. If and/or how they use that information is up to them.
Is there another swagger posting in this thread?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 PM

I give up. Your perception of this issue is as clear as mud. But whatever, believe what you like.

Have a great weekend!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger
So me varying my bet is perfectly legal, since the knowledge was "acquired" in my head, by my own thinking, and also available to all of the players, if they opted to use that same information. (Remember, "available to" isn't the same thing as "known by").
What was that about remembering that "available to" isn't the same thing as "known by"?

It seemed to make perfect sense to you when you wrote it. Now, all of a sudden it's clear as mud. Talk about moving the goalposts? Classic.

You have a great weekend too!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 PM

You focus for two pages on the definition of "such", and I'm the one "moving the goalposts"?

Ok. Whatever.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You focus for two pages on the definition of "such", and I'm the one "moving the goalposts"?

Ok. Whatever.
Well, it would help to understand what a specific piece of language says when you're trying to introduce it as evidence.

Who pays attention to those darn adjectives and nouns anyway?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,077 times
Too many personal attacks to delete.
This thread is closed

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: