Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 PM

762 posts, read 1,559,037 times

Advertisements

sierramadre, did you know that there are old people everywhere?
what is wrong with old people?
you go on and on and take time to post in a forum to do what? Why do you stick around and post here?
I have a feeling you would be unhappy anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 04:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,713,689 times
Good nuff for Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.... good nuff for you too

Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,446,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Good nuff for Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.... good nuff for you too
They're beyond old...they're dead! (ok...not technically Jerry Lewis...but he's almost there...my guess would be within the next 2 months.)

Last edited by jfkIII; 02-27-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 PM

139 posts, read 457,801 times
They're not dead - just not available for booking at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
They're beyond old...they're dead! (ok...not technically Jerry Lewis...but he's almost there...my guess would be within the next 2 months.)

Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
you can smoke anywhere(almost)
You can drink anywhere(almost)
you can gamble anywhere(almost)

Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 PM

169 posts, read 1,082,786 times
I have lived in Vegas for 5 years now and Im still finding new places to shop and explore. The shopping, dining, live shows and entertainment is great...not to mention the weather! How many places can you wear flip flops and shorts 8 months out of the year. My first year here, I was completely overstimulated....lol I came from Monterey, CA big change for me. Five years later, I still feel like a kid in the candy store. I would like to see them build a water park, that may be my only complaint! lol

Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 AM

23 posts, read 68,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
1) No state taxes
2) No hurricanes, snow, tornadoes, or other damaging weather seasonally (besides a couple months of HOT weather, which every city has a couple months of ...something).
3) No grass to mow or snow to shovel.

BTW, summer does not even seem to last forever...it's been in the 50's for the past week or so which is hardly summer....even in the 60's these past few days...still not short/skirt weather...The "summer" weather did not start last year until the beginning of April...
YES! I'm leaving Wisconsin because I'm dying for some regular sunshine, I never want to see a snow blower again and I don't mind not having to mow either I'm hoping to have a pool that we can use more than 2 or maybe 3 months out of the year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
[If you golf, gamble, drink and have lots of money to shop then you will find things to do. The only culture in this hell hole is found in the dairy section of the grocery store!!! Raising children in Vegas is only done by parents who are stuck here or the have their needs before a healthy upbringing of their children!!!!]

I would put my parenting up against anyone who make such a dumb comment....Our kids come first and always will, that is why we are moving back to Las Vegas in May from Ohio...They hate it here and asked to go back so we are...We raised our kids telling them that if you do not like it somewhere, you can always move to another place to experience it. We left Henderson to be here for a dying relative becasue they needed help on the farm and we are getting ready to return. The parenting is what makes for a healthy upbringing, not where you live............
Exactly! As someone with one child of my own my husband and I know that when we make the move to Vegas in 2 years (or so) it wouldn't matter where we raised our son because good parents raise good kids. Someone who thinks that a city makes bad kids obviously isn't working that hard to raise their child(ren) very well. We've done our research and we know where we will pick for home and school.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM

203 posts, read 544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
If I do move to Las Vegas this October I will be bringing my 15 year old brother with me on the road trip, and have him fly back to Orlando the next day. He has never gotten to see any of the western states before, and I think even seeing LV would be a real adventure for him, even if he cant drink or gamble

People always say Las Vegas is not a good place to raise a family (they say the same thing over in the Orlando forum too) because of the crummy schools, and other things

MomMom would agree with me when I say that $50 bucks says there are plenty of families in Las Vegas who are doing just fine, good parents who have good jobs and are not overly influenced by all the "bad things" going on in Las Vegas. And Im sure there are plenty of parents with fully grown kids who spent their enitre childhoods in LV and turned out just fine.

You cannot blame a city on how your children turn out, it starts with you own involvement with your kids, the less you are involved the more trouble they are likely to get into, of course some kids are smart enough to know better whether their parents are involved or not.

Hey bud when you move here let me know if you think the same-thing when you lived here for awhile considering the unemployment is 16 percent water shortage issues and just a general decline in this city.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM

203 posts, read 544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melizerd View Post
YES! I'm leaving Wisconsin because I'm dying for some regular sunshine, I never want to see a snow blower again and I don't mind not having to mow either I'm hoping to have a pool that we can use more than 2 or maybe 3 months out of the year too.

Exactly! As someone with one child of my own my husband and I know that when we make the move to Vegas in 2 years (or so) it wouldn't matter where we raised our son because good parents raise good kids. Someone who thinks that a city makes bad kids obviously isn't working that hard to raise their child(ren) very well. We've done our research and we know where we will pick for home and school.

Hate to burst your bubble i lived in Vegas for a couple of years it snows their to. ha ha. it does not last as long not as cold as Wisconsin but Vegas has chilly winters. i hope your moving to Vegas for other reasons besides the weather. considering the 16 percent unemployment

Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 AM

72 posts, read 97,106 times
Quote:
Why not move to NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, or some other hot "metropolis" where there is also rising unemployment, crime, angry residents, etc....lol
Those are your comparisons. LOL. My standard of living is important to me. It is why I chose to retire from the Army in Texas. Those places you mentioned have astronomical housing prices, and a very expensive cost of living in general. Not to mention, that all but Florida have state income tax.
I plan on moving to Vegas this year. Why? Because the property values have dropped enough to make it economical, and their property taxes are less than they are in Texas. My standard of living is important, and when I stop working for good at the ripe old age of 49, I need to be somewhere where I can live comfortably on my military retirement and the rental income from another house. I could not do that in any of the places you mentioned.
Also, except for Miami and LA, the other places you mentioned get way too cold for too long. I DON'T like the cold.
Being a military brat, and then joining the Army and staying 20 years, I am not tied to any one location. I lived in Vegas for 1 year before joining the Army and loved it. When I visit family there, I LOVE it. Every person has different preferences. Don't bother trying to understand someone else's preference. It is, what it is. I can not understand why someone would want to live in a place like NYC, LA, etc.. It is not important to me though. Let them like what they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas