Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Just because the area has a higher percentage of college educated people doesnt make it a better place to live. Vegas may only have 18% college educated people but Id still take that over living in Wisconsin or Minnesota or Connecticut where I was born. No snow and sub-zero temps for me thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
What part of wisconsin did you visit.?
Milwaukee

Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Really drunk lacrosse WI is ranked one of the top three cities in the us. Also Minn and WI have the countries best schools , best highways , and the most educated people in the us according to the us dept of education 68 percent of residents have more then a high school diploma. I think las Vegas has 18 percent college educated . The only thing i agree with is that san diego is a nice area. What part of wisconsin did you visit.?
IMO, academically smart-er people are just those who use bigger words in their BS conversations. Big deal. We can see what college educated, so called "smart" people have done to the economy and general state of affairs in this country.

To each his own. Many "smart" people come and blow their wads in Vegas, so it works for Vegas.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Just because the area has a higher percentage of college educated people doesnt make it a better place to live. Vegas may only have 18% college educated people but Id still take that over living in Wisconsin or Minnesota or Connecticut where I was born. No snow and sub-zero temps for me thanks!
I agree with you to a point. You're right in the sense that one's quality of life is not directly affected by the % of College-educated people in his or her Metro area. That said, those places with higher %ages of highly-educated people will offer different opportunities than those with a lower %. If you compare Cambridge, Mass (where I would NOT want to live or fit in) with LV, you'll see that the Cambridge/Boston area has a LOT more opportunities with respect to Technology, Investments, Biotech/Pharma/Device, etc than Vegas. The fact that these opportunities exist near Harvard and MIT is not a coincidence. In many ways, Mass is not the the best place to do business (regulatory environment, cost, taxes, weather, etc), but these Universities can propel the Economy. All things being equal, LV is a much more business friendly place than Boston.

LV, with a less educated population, will have more lower-level service sector jobs and managerial opportunities for people with less advanced Education.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I agree with you to a point. You're right in the sense that one's quality of life is not directly affected by the % of College-educated people in his or her Metro area. That said, those places with higher %ages of highly-educated people will offer different opportunities than those with a lower %. If you compare Cambridge, Mass (where I would NOT want to live or fit in) with LV, you'll see that the Cambridge/Boston area has a LOT more opportunities with respect to Technology, Investments, Biotech/Pharma/Device, etc than Vegas. The fact that these opportunities exist near Harvard and MIT is not a coincidence. In many ways, Mass is not
the the best place to do business (regulatory environment, cost, taxes, weather, etc), but these Universities can propel the Economy. All things being equal, LV is a much more business friendly place than Boston.

LV, with a less educated population, will have more lower-level service sector jobs and managerial opportunities for people with less advanced Education.
I agree with YOU to a point. Just because a place offers "lower lever" service jobs and managerial opportunities for those w/o higher education, still does NOT mean you can't make money in today's world. If you do, will it be in the service sector? Most likely, but money can still be made, and good lives can still be had. Education is not vital to financial or career success, but it does help some people. I can give you a good example of this. All my boss has is a high school diploma, he owns 3 homes, and earns a six figure salary. No student debt either

Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I agree with YOU to a point. Just because a place offers "lower lever" service jobs and managerial opportunities for those w/o higher education, still does NOT mean you can't make money in today's world. If you do, will it be in the service sector? Most likely, but money can still be made, and good lives can still be had. Education is not vital to financial or career success, but it does help some people. I can give you a good example of this. All my boss has is a high school diploma, he owns 3 homes, and earns a six figure salary. No student debt either
Of course you can make good money without higher education, but the routes to doing this are different. You're not going to do it as an Attorney, Physician, Financial Services professional (I-Banker, PE, Hedge Fund, etc). Although it does happen, a person lacking higher education is FAR less likely to become wealthy as someone's employee than someone with the higher ed.

I agree that a place with a higher % of well-educated people is, by no means, automatically 'better' than a place with a lower %age. I'd MUCH rather live in LV than Boston but, depending on one's background, they may only able to obtain that top job in Boston (of the 2 cities).

Do you know when you'll be making the move?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:25 PM

Soon, am just waiting for the position to open, being very persistent with this

I have a good feeling it will be VERY soon

Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 AM

203 posts, read 545,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
IMO, academically smart-er people are just those who use bigger words in their BS conversations. Big deal. We can see what college educated, so called "smart" people have done to the economy and general state of affairs in this country.

To each his own. Many "smart" people come and blow their wads in Vegas, so it works for Vegas.

Actually i don't disagree with what you where saying. Just making a point with the writer disparaging my state thats all.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 AM

203 posts, read 545,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Milwaukee

Well id have a negative view of Wisconsin if ill a saw was Milwaukee its dumpy. most of the state thou is beautiful.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Well id have a negative view of Wisconsin if ill a saw was Milwaukee its dumpy. most of the state thou is beautiful.
I do not have a negative view of Wisconsin in particular. I have a very negative view of anywhere that is humid, cold and snowy. I will agree that Wisconsin does have certain advantages over Vegas as you pointed out. However, for me personally Vegas is a much better place to live. I would absolutely hate to live anywhere in the state of Wisconsin. I have lived in Des Moines, Iowa which is very similar. It was enough for me to know I do not like it. I am glad you are happy there, and I hope it works out for you. However, please do not try to convince us who are happy here in Vegas that your place is better, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas