Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 AM

138 posts, read 976,944 times

Advertisements

Is this even possible ? Someone I work with, said that her daughter just left (Toledo, Ohio) for a teaching job in Las Vegas. She said that they were hiring 30,000 teachers, this year. I thought she said it was Vegas. Not sure if she meant THE ENTIRE STATE. 30,000......of anything, sounds like a lot.

Is this even possible ? She said that all kinds of new schools, are going-up. If this number is accurate, is it because of high teacher turnover ? I could understand new college graduates, jumping at the idea of moving to Vegas for a teaching job, but end up leaving within a year or 2, because Vegas wasn't for them or they just got home-sick.

I live in the Ohio rust belt. A lot of people here, say to move west or south, for jobs. In the past week, 3 people I know, talked about a family member moving this summer, for jobs south & west. Two with teaching jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 08:16 AM

151 posts, read 703,290 times
I know that there is a high turn over rate in Vegas for teachers, but 30K sounds like an exaggeration. I'll be curious to hear more from those in the know!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:14 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,066,910 times
Somebody slipped a digit. They are looking for 3,000 teachers. Which is bad enough.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:34 PM

5,908 posts, read 7,241,767 times
What they fail to mention is the terrible mess that the school district is in. They also have Edison schools, which are schools that are run by private contractors.

I am sure there are good schools there, but internally the place is a mess.

RM

Old 05-30-2007, 11:36 AM

786 posts, read 4,721,351 times
Most of the Students speak Spanish as their first language, and are not as interested in learning as many teachers had hoped.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:17 PM

818 posts, read 3,688,657 times
Las Vegas is a city where people can earn six figures dealing cards or parking cars - jobs that don't even require that you know how to read or write, let alone speak English. These people don't exactly pass on a thirst for education to their children. The school district is ridiculously large and full of buerocracy, but to blame the students of Las Vegas for being minorities and not wanting to learn is not right. There are plenty of white kids who don't want to learn.

There has long been a divide among educators in Las Vegas. Generally speaking, most teachers try to find schools in white suburban neighborhoods, leaving a void in the browner city schools. These are where the vast majority of the 3,000 jobs are. Then they are filled with underqualified, underpaid, underappreciated teachers, and you wonder why they struggle to learn or keep teachers. It's really a vicious cycle that is fueled on all sides by many different problems.

It's not fair to blame only the school district, the state, poverty, immigrants, or teachers or any one group for NV being 49th in Education. There is enough blame to go around.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,651,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Most of the Students speak Spanish as their first language, and are not as interested in learning as many teachers had hoped.
They might be interested in learning...my friend is graduating early because her parents are making her go back to Mexico for a year, but she wanted to make sure she got an American education, she's also legal by the way...

Would you be interested in learning if no one is interested in helping you learn English and the whole country criticizes your parents for taking you here?

Dingler, where did you get this comment from?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Las Vegas is a city where people can earn six figures dealing cards or parking cars - jobs that don't even require that you know how to read or write, let alone speak English. These people don't exactly pass on a thirst for education to their children. The school district is ridiculously large and full of buerocracy, but to blame the students of Las Vegas for being minorities and not wanting to learn is not right. There are plenty of white kids who don't want to learn.

There has long been a divide among educators in Las Vegas. Generally speaking, most teachers try to find schools in white suburban neighborhoods, leaving a void in the browner city schools. These are where the vast majority of the 3,000 jobs are. Then they are filled with underqualified, underpaid, underappreciated teachers, and you wonder why they struggle to learn or keep teachers. It's really a vicious cycle that is fueled on all sides by many different problems.

It's not fair to blame only the school district, the state, poverty, immigrants, or teachers or any one group for NV being 49th in Education. There is enough blame to go around.
There are plenty of white kids that don't want to learn, I went to a school that is majority white, there were way more problems then the school that I'm going to now, which is 65% Hispanic...That majority white school has more violence and weapons than my school, and has more non-qualified teachers...They both are in Need of Improvement status...

Also, race or ethnicity doesn't have to do with anything...but awful stereotypes...

Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM

786 posts, read 4,721,351 times
Default Every Study shows White and Asian Dominated Schools are better

I would never want to teach in Hispanic Las Vegas. While most of the Hispanic people in Las Vegas are nice family orientated people, they are not generally all that interested in education. It is part of the Indian Hispanic culture. In Latin America physical hard work means survival. That is the major goal of people in Latin America. They live for the day. Most people who are from an Indian background in Latin American are not getting an Executive position based on hard work in school. School and education are not considered as important as family, friendship and the Church. The Hispanic culture in Las Vegas feels the same way.

If I was a teacher I would like to teach Whites or Asian people who come from families who support education as the way to learn and grow.

Last edited by Dingler; 05-30-2007 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 03:15 PM

are you related to RedWingsFan?

Never has an Asian or White person been valedictorian at my school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: