Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM

30 posts, read 131,693 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello everyone, I am new to here and really like this forum because people here are helping each other a lot. Recently I just bought a Single Family Home in one of the Golf Community near Southwest of Las Vegas, we are thinking to live there after retired in couple of years, before that, we would like to rent it out. Actually we are asking our local friends to help manage our home for now and did post our property in craiglist.org. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, here I just want to ask besides posting on the craiglist.org, what else are good or efficient to post our property-Newspapers or any other online website?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks so much in advanced for any of the advice or experience sharing…. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji3 View Post
[SIZE=3]Hello everyone, I am new to here and really like this forum because people here are helping each other a lot. Recently I just bought a Single Family Home in one of the Golf Community near Southwest of Las Vegas, we are thinking to live there after retired in couple of years, before that, we would like to rent it out. Actually we are asking our local friends to help manage our home for now and did post our property in craiglist.org. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, here I just want to ask besides posting on the craiglist.org, what else are good or efficient to post our property-Newspapers or any other online website?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks so much in advanced for any of the advice or experience sharing…. [/SIZE]
Craig's list is a bad place to list your property you could end up with some problems,I have heard some good stories but I have heard of more folks being duped by scams trying to rent their properties.
The best way to list it is to list it with real-estate company so it can be listed on the MLS, I Suggest listing with a property manager in a real-estate office. .

Living more than 60 miles from the property you are renting Nevada law requires a property Manager and since your friend is doing this job for you,is the person handling your property handling the signed lease, and having back ground checks done as well as pulling credit to make sure you not leasing to a criminal? Is the person handling your rental aware of the rental laws in regards to evictions ect.

If not you should really think about using a licensed property manager it will save you allot of heartache in the future.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks so much for all your good suggestion and advice. My friend is a realtor himself and I am not sure if he has a licence as a property manager or not but was told he is managing a lot of properties in LV. All you have said makes good point and I will keep those in mind and ask my friend if he do a follow up about them. We did posted our property in Craiglist and I was told by my friend that there were a lot of calls but still had to get a real contract signed. May be right now, the rental market is too bad in Vegas and without reducing the price, it's going to take long time. May be you are right we should consider to post on the MLS and my best wish is the rental market can be better from late Feb or March.
Thanks again for all your advice.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
mmmmm friend.....mmmmm bad move.....never do business with friends or relatives

Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
mmmmm friend.....mmmmm bad move.....never do business with friends or relatives
Thanks dynimagelv for your feedback and I think your advice makes a very good point.
The thing is we were not familiar with any professional for property management there and the current friend was actually referred by another closed friend and he did help me to repair the house, do posting in craiglist and showed the house to people who are interested at begining.
I am not sure how good he is for property management but because he has already done some work to manage my house, I have no idea on how can switch from him to another? Also I really don't know any good-trustable one in Las Vegas anyway.I do appreciate if anybody can give me any good idea on this and want to know if the rental market in LV is very bad now.
Thanks again in advanced

Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji3 View Post
Thanks dynimagelv for your feedback and I think your advice makes a very good point.
The thing is we were not familiar with any professional for property management there and the current friend was actually referred by another closed friend and he did help me to repair the house, do posting in craiglist and showed the house to people who are interested at begining.
I am not sure how good he is for property management but because he has already done some work to manage my house, I have no idea on how can switch from him to another? Also I really don't know any good-trustable one in Las Vegas anyway.I do appreciate if anybody can give me any good idea on this and want to know if the rental market in LV is very bad now.
Thanks again in advanced
Fiji, Remax and Century 21 have property managers, I suggest you interview properties managers and ask for references since you will be employing them. There are good property managers out here RMI is a big property management company that is all they do.
This is the slow time of year to try to rent most people don't want to move in winter including in Vegas.

Allot of investors that have purchased properties are putting their newly purchased properties in the rental market and there is starting to be a glut, the home owners that lost their homes are moving in with relatives. Unfortunately the ones that are losing their homes now are the ones that lost jobs and they are moving out of state to look for jobs now. Best of luck

Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
why use a property management company thats huge? 1. you'll get raped on the fees plus they are going to do exactly what i do, They will put it on the mls, offer a bit to the realtor who brings the tenant, and then just take your money every month for doing nothing ..

Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,579 times
I would stick with craigslist and the newspaper, ReviewJournal to advertise.
Personally, I would do CL, but a very good way to advertise is to post signs in the general area where the property is located. I know cause I do this. That generates the most calls and the most shows.
Remember, if your out of town, very hard to show property and maybe a burden on friends. Good idea to get a property manager/real estate lic to manage it, but if your able to come out to Vegas at a moments notice or have repair/replacement people in place, by all means.

Oh, if your rental doesn't get rented out quickly, its 2 things:
1- rent is too expensive
2- not enough advertising

or both.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:48 PM

31 posts, read 91,380 times
-CL- is still your best bet, for better or for worse. It still generates the most traffic by far.

I still believe renting your bedrooms INDIVIDUALLY has a better chance than some random family of 4 taking-up residence.

You (or your Management Comp) will have to weed through the BS; as with anything internet based, but it can be done.

Good Luck .....

Firm

Old 02-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks all of you giving so much useful information and suggestions for renting a house. I am so happy that I found this forum and people here are making good advice to me.
Yes, I feel right now it is not a good timing for the rental market in Vegas.I heard from my friend there that he did receive a lot of calls day to day after the post 3 weeks ago, but most of them are just asking about the price and only few of them are coming to see the house. No matter what, I don't know why just couldn't rent the house out. May be the key point is still the price? -Or- just because the rental market is too slow in Vegas?
Can anybody have an idea on what is the reasonable price for a 4 years old 4 bed/2.5 houses in a gated community (Zip 89148)?
Also any potential issue for renting to a family who has a dog weighted 20lbs? (I have no experience on the dog stuff at all so far).
I am really new on rental market and any feedback or suggestion is highly welcome.
Thanks again in advanced.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas