Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM

89 posts, read 186,124 times

Advertisements

I have some money in a self-directed IRA that I would like to put into some residential rental properties--single family or duplex--somewhere outside California (even though everybody complains about how prices have dropped here, they are still pretty steep). Arizona and Nevada seem the most likely prospects, and Las Vegas seems to have about the steepest decline in prices anywhere.

On the other hand, some of what I hear on this forum suggests that investing in some LV neighborhoods would be like flushing my money away. I don't have a lot to invest, so although I understand there are some million-dollar properties available for half their previous value, I'm not rolling in that kind of league. (And, in my experience, upscale properties never rent for anything like what they are worth.)

I realize that rents are down along with the real estate market, but I'm in it for the longer haul. But I want to find a neighborhood that has the potential to hold steady in quality of life rather than turning into a war zone.

Do any of you LV mavens have advice for me? (Including, of course, Stay Away!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
you didn't specify where in the valley and how much...

Old 02-07-2010, 07:00 AM

Thnaks. I have about $80 K to put in. In principle I could supplement that with another $50 K in loan, so we'd be looking at a ceiling of around $130 K.

As to where, that's one of the things I'd like advice on. I see many low-priced homes on the market, but many of them seem to be in clusters where things are headed steeply downhill. Areas like that aren't probably a good investment proposition in either the short term or the longer term. But I don't really know the residential areas of town the way folks on this forum do, nor do I have a sense of where things are headed.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM

80k is not enough to play the home game in my opinion.. you won't be able to buy a home in a good area.. you might be able to get a small condo in a good area.. there are some floating around at 50-60k in which you can collect 600-800 a month in rent..

Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Excellent--exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know. There are some decent duplexes in AZ that seem to fit the price tag and other criteria without being in questionable areas.

Thanks for the advice. Vegas, like any major city, is big enough to be confusing unless you live there.

Looks like Lake Havasu City for this boy.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 PM

i wouldn't do havasu.. remember vegas is selling more than anywhere else... save up some more.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Actually, the looking I'm doing in Havasu so far seems very promising.

As I see it, there are two ways to play the investment game for someone at my level:

1) Buy mid-level single-family homes and put enough money down to get it cashflow neutral. Rent it out and wait for the underlying value to increase.

2) Buy lower-value SFs or duplexes and hold them solely for cashflow, without primarily seeking property appreciation or resale.

We already have a rental house in San Diego. Its cashflow has covered its mortgage and costs, and will be paid off in 2012. The appreciation in the property value has been great--even at current housing prices, it is worth over $500 K, and we originally picked it up for $180 K. (It needed some work, and the SoCal market was in one if its slumps.)

But the rental cashflow from the property is nothing to get excited about. A duplex valued at half as much would give us the same monthly rental income. What we're looking for at this point in time isn't an investment we'd cash in at some point, but a few fairly steady income streams.

Havasu seems to have some properties that fit that bill and yet don't run the risk of falling into ghettohood. The latter risk is what worries me in LV.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM

146 posts, read 529,270 times
If you are buying a home - you are doing it with the intention to receive rental income, and not to turn it around with that kind of investment.

A $130,000 property that can give you enough in rental income to be happy would be a great investment, in my opinion. Furthermore, if you can find an investment property available near developing areas - you may be fortunate to have a developer or even the city/county buy your property without a fight.

Either way, you have to be willing to get into some bidding wars with OREO properties with only $130K to play with. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 PM

146 posts, read 529,270 times
Havasu you want to avoid also - I'm in banking and trust me, you want to stay away from Havasu at least for the next couple of years. =)

Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaster3 View Post
Havasu you want to avoid also - I'm in banking and trust me, you want to stay away from Havasu at least for the next couple of years. =)
Why?

I know there's lots of foreclosures (mostly former vacation homes, I gather). And if I were a banker, I wouldn't be too happy about Lake Havasu. But as an investor, I don't see the problem. So any light you can shed would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas