Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 14,600 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am new poster to citydata longtime reader.

I live in the san francisco bay area. I am thinking of selling an moving to Las Vegas in the next 1 to 2 years.

I have looked on the net. an realtor.com an have seen 1000's of homes for sell for around 80k that sold for 225k in 2005.

I called on two an they said they are short sales an thats not the price.

I bought my home many years ago with 20% down credit score yada yada. This is all new to me are 1000's of homes that price or is this just a bait an switch move.

For entertainment we would like to go to the strip for food an see shows like the washed up 80's hair metal bands that go through Las Vegas.

We are simple people we need a walmart, dollor tree, movie theather, best buy.

Would like a litte yard garage a couple bedrooms not high end. That I could leave for the day or weekend an have my house broken into.

I am happy staying home on the internet with my dogs than spending time shopping an buying things I do not need

I hear about the heat is it possible to have one of these homes bulit in the late 90's an not use the A/C. the A/C there must be tricks to cool the house down.

Thanks
countonme

Just an example I have not called this is more than we need.

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-10-2010 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: specific listing removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme01 View Post
Hi everyone I am new poster to citydata longtime reader.

I live in the san francisco bay area. I am thinking of selling an moving to Las Vegas in the next 1 to 2 years.

I have looked on the net. an realtor.com an have seen 1000's of homes for sell for around 80k that sold for 225k in 2005.

I called on two an they said they are short sales an thats not the price.

I bought my home many years ago with 20% down credit score yada yada. This is all new to me are 1000's of homes that price or is this just a bait an switch move.

For entertainment we would like to go to the strip for food an see shows like the washed up 80's hair metal bands that go through Las Vegas.

We are simple people we need a walmart, dollor tree, movie theather, best buy.

Would like a litte yard garage a couple bedrooms not high end. That I could leave for the day or weekend an have my house broken into.

I am happy staying home on the internet with my dogs than spending time shopping an buying things I do not need

I hear about the heat is it possible to have one of these homes bulit in the late 90's an not use the A/C. the A/C there must be tricks to cool the house down.

Thanks
countonme
If you were to purchase a home without an airconditioner you will regret it when it gets to 120 degrees in the shade and your in a house with just fans you are going to be hating life. A swamp cooler would be very muggy and mold is a problem in Vegas.

mod cut:

Here's how a short sale works, sellers in short-sale situations usually list their properties at below-market prices in order to entice buyers into making offers.
As a buyer before getting serious, find out the amount of the loans that must be paid off to close the sale.
If the loan amounts total more than the sellers' asking price, then you will either need to pay more, or the seller's lenders will need to agree to accept less than they're owed.

Buyers who want to go ahead with a purchase that is subject to the lender's approval should be prepared for a longer-than-typical closing. The lender won't even take a short sale under consideration until the sellers have accepted an offer. It can then take four months or longer before you'll know whether or not the lender will approve the sale.

And if the seller has a first and second loan on a property then it can slow up the sale even worse and even possibly block it all together.
When purchasing a short sale you will have to pack your patience, there is going to be new program put into place starting April 5th that if a home owner cannot make their current payments the bank will have to try to modify the loan, if a loan modification can't be done then a bank representative will be assigned and the bank representative will set the price it is to be listed and again the banks are notorious for putting low prices on properties to get multiple offers.

Hope this was helpful

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-10-2010 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: if discussing specific MLS listings, we'd prefer it be done in a Direct Message. thanks.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanks 007. That was good info. Let me know if this is doable before I waste everyone's time. I live in SF bay area. I bought a home before I was married. We're gonna keep the home for now. My question is: Can my wife, who makes $45 k, she has 20% down plus opening and closing, purchase a home with a 30-year fixed?

What we are looking for is a 2 or 3 bedroom home, garage and backyard in a decent neighborhood; no graffitti or neighbors breaking into your house for a low as we can get. We are open to ideas.

We really like the area around Delicate Dew Street? Fragile Field Street? zip code 89123. How much do these houses cost to a non-investor doing a 30-year fixed?

Man, it looks like every single house for sale is a short sale, bank-owned or foreclosed. Everything is listed for a lot less than the previous buyers paid for it. This looks like it might be tougher than I thought it was.

Thanks.

countonme01

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-10-2010 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Again, if specifics are going to be discussed, we'd prefer it to be in a Direct Message. Generalities are fine. thanks.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
how is her credit score? also, lets say you offer 120k on a house, and someone comes in with 110k cash, who do you think is getting the house?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM

her credit score is in the mid 700 of of course they will take the cash offer I am new here are there many people pay cash for homes.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
in the 120 and under price range ALOT of people pay cash

Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Wow I did not know the competion was that intense It looks like someone who want to move to Las Vegas for a 100k is tough.

If we can not find a bargain or a deal we probably won't jump. I am not giving up yet

Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I really think for a newbie to Vegas that you should rent first. That way if you get into a neighborhood that you really don't like, you are not stuck there. And while living here, you can go out and check out other neighborhoods, do more research and end up in an area that you really like. If you can, keep your current home where you are now just in case you end up hating it out here like some do, so you have a place to go back to.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme01 View Post
Thanks 007. That was good info. Let me know if this is doable before I waste everyone's time. I live in SF bay area. I bought a home before I was married. We're gonna keep the home for now. My question is: Can my wife, who makes $45 k, she has 20% down plus opening and closing, purchase a home with a 30-year fixed?

What we are looking for is a 2 or 3 bedroom home, garage and backyard in a decent neighborhood; no graffitti or neighbors breaking into your house for a low as we can get. We are open to ideas.

We really like the area around Delicate Dew Street? Fragile Field Street? zip code 89123. How much do these houses cost to a non-investor doing a 30-year fixed?

Man, it looks like every single house for sale is a short sale, bank-owned or foreclosed. Everything is listed for a lot less than the previous buyers paid for it. This looks like it might be tougher than I thought it was.

Thanks.

countonme01
As far as no graffitti you can find that in the best of neighborhoods sometime. And there is a saying crime has no zipcode, crooks don't break into poor peoples homes they go where the money is. And it doesn't matter if it's gated or not. I am not saying it's not safe anywhere, but you have to keep in mind it can happen any where to anyone.

First thing you should do is talk to a local banker and see what you would qualify for, and in order to make a offer you will have to have a pre-approval letter any way before the seller will respond to your offer.

Plus you will know what you qualify for and how much down your going to need. I have had clients with 800+ credit scores turned down with 20% down because their debt to income was out of wack. So you don't waist your time talk with a local bank loan officer.

I suggest you do this when you get closer to actually pulling the trigger in regards to moving to Vegas.

As for renting when you first come that is a good idea so you can check out the area's and see where you want to live.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 AM

215 posts, read 1,533,706 times
The problem is finding decent work with decent pay in Vegas, Vegas is a service industry town, and the level of pay is not very high. The job market is also very tight!

This is the issue that got folks into foreclosure status to begin with, A lot of Californians moved to Vegas in the Late 90's and early 2000's because of cheap housing then could not find decent high paying jobs to maintain and pay the mortage coupled with ARM rates, That is what cause foreclosures,
I suggest looking in Phoenix first as they have more of a corporate sector to help make somewhat of a decent income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas