Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

National map shows unemployment increases by county over two year period. Iowa looks good. What would happen if a million Las Vegans moved to Iowa?

multimediafinal (http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
National map shows unemployment increases by county over two year period. Iowa looks good. What would happen if a million Las Vegans moved to Iowa?

multimediafinal (http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html - broken link)
I really don't know. Nebraska looks even better.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

I was shocked how much of the country went into the black when I watched that. I noticed Clark County in 2007 seemed to have been doing pretty damn good on that map.

Talk about a huge difference eh?

A lot of people are saying now that a lot of the jobs that were lost are NOT coming back, I certainly hope that this is NOT true

Old 02-14-2010, 01:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
This is probably true Dav.... companies are finding that they were WAY over employed....the same thing happened to us about 10 yrs ago....we had 1800 employees....we shaved it down to 850 and found that THIS was the number we needed...

Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
This is probably true Dav.... companies are finding that they were WAY over employed....the same thing happened to us about 10 yrs ago....we had 1800 employees....we shaved it down to 850 and found that THIS was the number we needed...
I also heard though from others they believe some companies have over corrected and laid off TOO MANY people.

I'd like to see some lower unemployment rates but at the same time I think many companies are very greedy.

My store is pretty much running on a skeleton crew now even though our business hasn't dropped considerably, some people's hours were cut so deep they ended up quitting and are now unable to find a job.

Others who WANT to work and earn money and are dedicated employees don't get the hours they need to feed themselves and pay their rent

I'm very fortunate that I make enough that ALL my bills are paid ON TIME and I'm able to save money.

I was talking with a friend of mine late last night and he said he doesn't see the point of going to college (we're both 20) because you're NOT going to be guaranteed a job when you get out, and if you don't find a job real soon, you will have $100s of thousands to pay back in student loans that you can't pay because you are unemployed

Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Man that is one scary graphic, I knew thangs were bad, but this is scary.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:16 PM

168 posts, read 518,133 times
Quote:
I was talking with a friend of mine late last night and he said he doesn't see the point of going to college (we're both 20) because you're NOT going to be guaranteed a job when you get out, and if you don't find a job real soon, you will have $100s of thousands to pay back in student loans that you can't pay because you are unemployed
I don't necessarily agree. What I got of college was independence and self-worth more than anything else. I also, though, was blessed with parents who could help me pay for bills before I started working. Many of my friends from college are loaded with debt and can't find jobs. So I agree with you that as far as that goes, it really does defeat the purpose of college. Please don't limit yourselves, though. I have a career that I love and that can be a lot of fun at times, and that would not have been possible without my college education.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefrombama View Post
I don't necessarily agree. What I got of college was independence and self-worth more than anything else. I also, though, was blessed with parents who could help me pay for bills before I started working. Many of my friends from college are loaded with debt and can't find jobs. So I agree with you that as far as that goes, it really does defeat the purpose of college. Please don't limit yourselves, though. I have a career that I love and that can be a lot of fun at times, and that would not have been possible without my college education.
I would like to go to college but I do not know what to study yet. Perhaps after living in LV for awhile I may try to get into CSN and then transfer to UNLV if at all possible

As far as my job goes right now, it has its ups and downs but for the most part I am enjoying what I am doing and pray I will find something upon moving later this year

Old 02-14-2010, 02:58 PM

157 posts, read 420,096 times
From what I understand, Las Vegas had a lot of construction-based workers. Just like Phoenix, those won't be coming back anytime soon.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
From what I understand, Las Vegas had a lot of construction-based workers. Just like Phoenix, those won't be coming back anytime soon.
If that is the case, what kind of employment do you think someone could find in the Great Plains states? Those are the places with the least employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas