Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM

61 posts, read 194,918 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Buzz, we did go on Sunday. And thanks MMofB for the links -- they were most useful.

It was very crowded -- we had to park at the next strip mall's loading docks. I was thrilled to see so many people. Wow, there is life apart from the strip and Fremont!!

The shows were fun -- esp enjoyed the lion dancing, the lovely girls dancing, and the drums. Then we went to the mall and enjoyed the shops and had lunch at Chinatown Express. The food was okay but I made a mistake of ordering something new -- shrimp and tofu in some ugly white sauce. None of us could eat it! Lesson learned: never order a new dish at a restaurant youve never tried before! But the meal did come with a nice pot of steamed rice.

All in all a most enjoyable day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,536 times
Pumi's @ Sahara/Ft Apache...NE corner

Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Most folks that like Chinese will like Thai. Many will quit going to Chinese Restaurants after having Thai food; I did. Give Pin Kaow at W. Lake Mead and 95. It's the real deal. I had superb service and food even though it was a busy Saturday night and some jerks ordered pepper dishes and sent them back because they were too spicy.............Home - PIN KAOW; Thai Restaurant
I was just about to say exactly the same thing. Please don't take words out of my mouth...it's unsanitary. Of course, if you eat at Chinese restaurants you probably don't care about sanitation anyway.

Home - PIN KAOW; Thai Restaurant

Also known, at least by us, as Pink Cow.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsMom View Post
Thanks, Buzz, we did go on Sunday. And thanks MMofB for the links -- they were most useful.

It was very crowded -- we had to park at the next strip mall's loading docks. I was thrilled to see so many people. Wow, there is life apart from the strip and Fremont!!

The shows were fun -- esp enjoyed the lion dancing, the lovely girls dancing, and the drums. Then we went to the mall and enjoyed the shops and had lunch at Chinatown Express. The food was okay but I made a mistake of ordering something new -- shrimp and tofu in some ugly white sauce. None of us could eat it! Lesson learned: never order a new dish at a restaurant you've never tried before! But the meal did come with a nice pot of steamed rice.

All in all a most enjoyable day!!
You should have said, "Hello!" We were there Sunday too. Walked around the booths, had some satay, and a really good curry from a Korean booth, then went in the mall and bought some Chinese spoons and plates. I like Chinatown Express...usually. You're right about ordering what you're familiar with though. I've gone astray too and didn't like it. But you get a lot of food at Chinatown Express and it is mostly pretty good. Of course, I've never been to China, and haven't had New York style Chinese food, which I assume has to better than authentic Chinese food, so I'm sure I don't know what is good. I have eaten in Chinatown in San Francisco, and it was very good even though I doubt if the cook was from New York. So it probably was just my imagination that I liked it.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
Not too long ago, I went on my Asian food kick. I couldn't get enough of it, so I went to a couple places that I thought were good.

Cook on Wok (not the one in Henderson)

8380 West Cheyenne Ave, Las Vegas

Cook On Wok, Las Vegas, NV 89129 | MenuPix Las Vegas

Panna Thai

6015 So. Fort Apache Road, Ste. 100, Las Vegas

Panna Thai Restaurant - Las Vegas

The King and I Thai Food (they have a nice lunch special menu)

2904 Lake East Dr, Las Vegas

King & I - Bing Local (http://tinyurl.com/ycmr9jr - broken link)

Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Not too long ago, I went on my Asian food kick. I couldn't get enough of it, so I went to a couple places that I thought were good.

Cook on Wok (not the one in Henderson)

8380 West Cheyenne Ave, Las Vegas

Cook On Wok, Las Vegas, NV 89129 | MenuPix Las Vegas

Panna Thai

6015 So. Fort Apache Road, Ste. 100, Las Vegas

Panna Thai Restaurant - Las Vegas

The King and I Thai Food (they have a nice lunch special menu)

2904 Lake East Dr, Las Vegas

King & I - Bing Local (http://tinyurl.com/ycmr9jr - broken link)
We stopped going to Cook On Wok. I think we just got tired of it.

King and I is probably our second or third favorite Thai restaurant, after the Pink Cow (Pin Kaow) on Rainbow and Lake Mead, and Jasmine Thai on Lake Mead and Buffalo.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
Pumi's @ Sahara/Ft Apache...NE corner
Already tried it, didn't think it was very good. As a rule, I'm leery of places that claim to serve multiple Asian cuisines. Pumi serves sushi in addition to Chinese food.

Just to show that I'm not hard to please, I think Orchid Garden is perfectly acceptable, including their dim sum that is served at all hours. It's just farther than I'd like to drive.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
I second Golfinova's recommendation regarding Joyful House. That is quite possibly the best Chinese food I have had since visiting Hong Kong. Try their pork chops, you won't be disappointed at all. We also had their Wor Won Ton Soup, which had all kinds of goodies like squid, shrimp, pork and chicken along with very tasty dumplings. We also shared their cashew chicken which had a lot of fresh veggies and garlic. Our guests were averse to seafood, otherwise I would have ordered a lobster dish. They have fresh fish and lobster that they cook fresh from their tanks. The ambiance and service was above average. Very clean restaurant. This restaurant is to Chinese what Lotus of Siam is to Thai in Las Vegas. Top shelf stuff.

I also enjoy Kung Fu, which is primarily a Thai Restaurant, but has an extensive Chinese menu as well. Both Joyful House and Kung Fu are located on Spring Mountain in Chinatown.

Also, one of my favorite cheap places for Chinese is Cheng's express on Rainbow just south of Hacienda. The food is always fresh and they have some of the best pork fried rice and Sesame Chicken I have tasted. The Sesame Chicken is deep fried with a crispy batter and then topped with sesame seeds and a light sweet sour sauce that has a nice spice level. I think it's one of the best things you can eat for less than 7 bucks in town. There is no ambiance there at all (its a take-out, delivery joint), but if you want to experience the food at its freshest, eat there. The service is nice.

Amlee Gourmet on Sunset Road near Henderson is pretty good as well. It's been a while since I have eaten there though. I would like to know if anyone else has been there recently and can vouch for their quality.

PF Chang's is a good bet for a sit-down chain...as is Panda Express for quick eats, but authenticity isn't their specialty. Hope this is helpful!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
Question following along, also looking for "good" chinese

Until 2 years ago, I never had to worry about Chinese food - we lived in Chicago and had several typical mom & pop places to pick from. They all tended to serve the same menu: Egg Foo Young, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Egg Rolls (not spring rolls), Egg Drop or Hot & sour Soup, Moo Shu Pork, nothing fancy - mostly a chop suey place with a dining area and take-out. We did got to a few upscale places that were more along the lines of PFChang's.

We'd even had dim sum a couple of times, once in San Fran, once in Chinatown Chicago. Then we moved to Lexington Kentucky and discovered that the Chinese restatuants here use totally different vegetables. The Egg Foo Young has shredded cabbage, peas and carrots; no bean sprouts, onions or water chestnuts. In fact, the cabbage (regular head cabbage used for coleslaw) seems to be ubiquitous. It is in every dish. Bean sprouts are not used. We can't find our traditional egg roll, cooked in a won-ton wrapper. I've eaten Chinese in New York and it seemed very similar to what I got at home. So the huge difference surprised up but we haven't found an explanation.

We are looking for something that is old-style everyday Chinese - the kind you order in at the office. It's not really authenic, and it's not from a chain restaurant.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 PM

109 posts, read 312,014 times
I like the Lotus in Henderson on Water Street. Pretty good General chicken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: