Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
For Hooka lounges, I always enjoy Paymon's on west Sahara. The food there is very good and inexpensive as well. The lounge adjoins the restaurant. There is a second Paymons location on Maryland Parkway just south of Flamingo near UNLV. I like the W. Sahara location better, but I hang out at both occasionally.

Also in that neck of the woods is Sammy's woodfired pizza. I haven't been there much since they removed my favorite antipasto dish from the menu, everything there is delicious and there are three locations in the valley.

I know you said you don't want to check out Fremont street, but honestly, you need to check out the area known as Fremont east. Go enjoy a cocktail at the Downtown Cocktail Lounge. The drink menu is very creative. They make a cucumber/dill variant on a bloody mary that is really very good. The music is always deep house mixed live with percussionists, local artwork and a vibe that is really unpretentious. Right around the corner from there are two hipster hangouts The Beauty Bar and the Griffin. The griffin has a little less of a hipster quotient, but I find I can have a good time in either place. These bars offer no gaming, which is rare in LV. Drinks can be pricey because of this. Most of the set at Beauty Bar is drinking PBR, so it doesnt matter much anyway!. Griffin and DCR drink prices get a little more expensive.

If you happen to be here on the first Friday of the month, definitely go check out our arts and entertainment monthly that goes by the same name. First Friday:: Welcome

Town Square is worth checking out. I enjoy meeting up with friends at Blue Martini and I think Rave Motion Pictures is one of the valley's best theaters.

Definitely eat a burger from In and Out as well as Fatburger. Fatburger is very proud of their product and it shows in their prices. Farmer Boy's makes a mean burger as well...for peanuts.

Avoid the Meadows and Boulevard malls. I hate to say it, but they have gone way downhill.

Depending on what kind of music you like, you have all kinds of options here. I would start reading Las Vegas Weekly : Home and News, Politics, Music, Arts, Culture - Las Vegas CityLife to get tuned into the local food, music and arts scene.
Good advice, but remember Davie is only 20 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,568,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Good advice, but remember Davie is only 20 years old.
I wish you wouldnt say only 20 years old. Its no big deal but it kinda makes me feel like Im a little kid

Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,469,763 times
If you can get a car and like all kinds of young people's music, then this is the place for you Davie....

The Farm
5597 S. Rainbow Blvd., Las Vegas, 89113

http://www.myspace.com/thefarmlv

Las Vegas Weekly : The Farm

Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,661,730 times
If you want a really good non fast food burger, check out Tiffany's inside the White Cross Pharmacy on the Blvd and Oakey. They're reasonably priced, huge, and open 24 hours. They're north of the Stratosphere, on the SW corner.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I wish you wouldnt say only 20 years old. Its no big deal but it kinda makes me feel like Im a little kid
Davie,

I consider you a good friend now, so I would never say anything to offend you.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,661,730 times
In Vegas terms Davie is only a kid.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM

177 posts, read 357,034 times
I wish someone say "you are only 20 years old" to me.
Being a little kid is much better than an adult.
Trust me, when you are getting older you'll understand what I mean.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
In Vegas terms Davie is only a kid.
you're probably right, but i still hate being called that

you dont have to be 21 to have fun in vegas

Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 PM

112 posts, read 224,694 times
Hi DavieJ,

If you can make it out to Red Rock ($5 cash only, this is America as I was told by the gate dude) check that out. Couldn't remember if you were able to rent a car or not, but if you can, this is a pretty neat place and so very different from FL.

I vote for Fat Burger over In-N-Out - just my preference. I know they have one in Tampa but I don't think there is one in O-town.

Egg and I restuarant is on Sahara, a few blocks west of the strip (around Decatur). Breakfast is relatively cheap. Ask for Crystal, my favorite server. The BlueBerry Hill restaurants are also relatively cheap, but quality and service varies. I've always had pretty good luck at the one on Flamingo, just a few blocks east of the strip.

There are some funky shops near the University that you might enjoy. Zia Records on Sahara(few blocks west of strip) is cool. You might like that.

If you plan on riding the bus around town, that will help you get a good feel for the city and its inhabitants. They have a new express line the goes directly from Downtown to Centennial Hills (Northwest) and vice versa on US 95. While that is not all that exciting, I know you are trying to see what the city is like and that would give you an idea of the distance and layout in that direction.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamping View Post
Hi DavieJ,

If you can make it out to Red Rock ($5 cash only, this is America as I was told by the gate dude) check that out. Couldn't remember if you were able to rent a car or not, but if you can, this is a pretty neat place and so very different from FL.

I vote for Fat Burger over In-N-Out - just my preference. I know they have one in Tampa but I don't think there is one in O-town.

Egg and I restuarant is on Sahara, a few blocks west of the strip (around Decatur). Breakfast is relatively cheap. Ask for Crystal, my favorite server. The BlueBerry Hill restaurants are also relatively cheap, but quality and service varies. I've always had pretty good luck at the one on Flamingo, just a few blocks east of the strip.

There are some funky shops near the University that you might enjoy. Zia Records on Sahara(few blocks west of strip) is cool. You might like that.

If you plan on riding the bus around town, that will help you get a good feel for the city and its inhabitants. They have a new express line the goes directly from Downtown to Centennial Hills (Northwest) and vice versa on US 95. While that is not all that exciting, I know you are trying to see what the city is like and that would give you an idea of the distance and layout in that direction.
Repped you for that. Centennial Hills is one of the neighborhoods I am interested in. Yes I will be taking the bus around Vegas. No Fat Burger in O-Town that I can think of, we do have a FuddRucker's Though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas