Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM

29 posts, read 97,227 times

Advertisements

Sorry everyone, I know this question is asked a lot but I don't seem to find many answers related to the 89148.

I have a soon to be 4 and 2 year old. I am looking at preschool/daycare for them. So far I heard good things about Merryhill. I did a tour with them and I like what I saw, but their prices were very high. I just wanted to know if there was an alternative or any school that is also good but didn't come with such a high price tag.

Someone said that because I am waiting until my son turns 4 to let him go to preschool, he might be slower than the rest of the other kids. That person recommended that I let both my kids go to school full-time so they can catch up. I was pretty scared when I heard that, but at the same time the price tag that came with full-time school is even scarier.

I just want to give my boys a good foundation. Can someone help me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 AM

430 posts, read 1,312,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confetti View Post
Someone said that because I am waiting until my son turns 4 to let him go to preschool, he might be slower than the rest of the other kids. That person recommended that I let both my kids go to school full-time so they can catch up. I was pretty scared when I heard that, but at the same time the price tag that came with full-time school is even scarier.
Do not let "someone" convince you or scare you into turning your children over full-time to anyone at such a young age. Waiting until a child is 4 for a part-time preschool program is perfectly fine and normal. You provide an education for your child through playing, talking and reading to them. You are your child's best teacher. You know your child's quirks, learning style and tolerance better than anyone.

Does your 4 year old know colors, shapes, count to 10 and sing ABCs? Can your child identifiy emotions expressed in others faces? Can your child effectively communicate to a non-caregiver what they need? Do a web search to see if your child is on target for gross and fine motor skills.

Unless you suspect your child has delays or is behind in reaching developmental milestones you can even wait to send your child to school until they qualify for a free part-time kindergarten program. Most well adjusted children without developmental delays can adapt to part-time kindergarten (2 1/2 hours) and be successful quickly without the 'benefit' of preschool.

For decades children didn't attend school until 1st grade. Kindergarten is recent in this century. Pre-school is a modern 'invention'.

YOu know what is best for your child, not 'someone' else.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 AM

430 posts, read 1,312,011 times
I guess I could have stated it more simply by saying, YOU are your child's best foundation.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM

13 posts, read 43,136 times
I am a teacher, and my son was home with my husband during the day until this year. He attended a half day preschool program just 3 days a week, to be able to socialize with other kids and get used to being away from home a bit. I would definitely say that keeping them at home with you (unless they do have some delays, and you can explore some specialized preschool programs within CCSD) is a great thing until that year before Kinder. Don't let anyone else tell you what you are doing isn't right for your child!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 AM

29 posts, read 97,227 times
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the replies. My boys are on the right track. I don't want to push them too hard. I want them to feel that school and learning is fun.

I really just want them to go to preschool to have some friends and learn to socialize. I take them to the park but they haven't made any friends, so I was afraid I was keeping them at home and to themselves too much.

Once again thanks for reassuring me that I should know my children best. =)

Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,482 times
I have a great recommendation in the 89074 area if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas