Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I make my living doing educated guessing on the even chances on Roulette. Through pattern recognition, I have manage to win 72% of my bets consistently. However, in my spare time, I sell watches for $7 on Ebay.

(believe it or not, there is someone on the gambling forum I frequent who has been claiming he can do this)
Oh god, spare me the belly laugh I am having reading about anyone with a "roulette system." You make a living? Please!! I am really sorry to call you out on this, LVD, but its just not mathematically possible. The roulette wheel has no memory.

I know more than a few self professed professional gamblers who are nothing more than people hoping to land the big one through luck and passion for their craft, be it poker or whatever. I know some advantage players that can afford to play because of their income. They have strategies and practice counting cards and get geeky on math and odds. It's fun to watch them play, too. They win and lose.

Most people lose whatever money they have and develop a "problem" before they can become a professional. Either that or they get themselves a sugar momma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 04:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
Oh god, spare me the belly laugh I am having reading about anyone with a "roulette system." You make a living? Please!! I am really sorry to call you out on this, LVD, but its just not mathematically possible. The roulette wheel has no memory.

I know more than a few self professed professional gamblers who are nothing more than people hoping to land the big one through luck and passion for their craft, be it poker or whatever. I know some advantage players that can afford to play because of their income. They have strategies and practice counting cards and get geeky on math and odds. It's fun to watch them play, too. They win and lose.

Most people lose whatever money they have and develop a "problem" before they can become a professional. Either that or they get themselves a sugar momma.
LVD was joking.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
LVD was joking.
Oh...egg on my face then.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I make my living doing educated guessing on the even chances on Roulette. Through pattern recognition, I have manage to win 72% of my bets consistently. However, in my spare time, I sell watches for $7 on Ebay.

(believe it or not, there is someone on the gambling forum I frequent who has been claiming he can do this)
I guess I should have read the "believe it or not" part a little more closely. Engaged before brain had a chance to catch up with that one.

Where is the dunce cap emoticon?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlife View Post
Thanks for telling us all that "variance" and "game and table conditions" exist;
I had no idea, who woulda thought!

My roomie has been playing poker as his only source of income for a couple of years now and making more than most people in this town do at their 9-5s, 4-12s, or 12-8s, so I'm sure he knows a great deal more than you or I about the subject, and I can assure all of you: it IS entirely possible to make a living playing poker, he is living proof.

However, keep in mind that its a living without employer-compensated medical care, all kinds of tax issues, he can't get any decent amount of credit, etc etc.

There are definitely issues that make it less than glamorous work, but if you are a great card player who plays within your limits, you can do very well for yourself
That is awesome. Unfortunately, I do not know how to play poker. Lots of people have tried to teach me, but I just can not grasp it. If I did, I would be doing the same thing as your friend. One thing he can do to build up credit is get a couple secured credit cards. Luckily, with that kind of income he can pretty much buy anything he wants with cash.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post

I was referring to this guy by the name of Spike. Trust me, no one on the forum believes him either.

Gambler's Glen Message Boards : Roulette Message Board : Prove With Math That Guessing Won't Work

Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
As to video poker...I just find that the margin is so small....I'm surprised anyone can get in enough play at +ev machines that they could make a living. Supplementing income is totally different than making a living at something. Put another way, at a .8% advantage, if you ran $10,000 a day through a machine, you make $80 for the day. And as you mention, the variance is hell. Say you could play 100 times an hour. At $1 machines, thats $500 an hour. I don't think 20 hours a day is possible. And thats if you play absolutely perfect.
Yep, I don't see any possible way. I'd equate it to trying to make a living off of slot machines. It would be like being in the big blind every hand and trying to get a monster every hand.

I mean, video poker, you MUST make your hand. There are no bluffs, no strategy, no betting techniques, no other players, etc.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,923 times
I have a friend who lives as a professional poker player but he has no credit because he has no real job. He is in his 50's and living with his mother. He lives with his mother in a beautiful home wth an ocean view. He made the down payment and pays the mortgage but the credit is in his mother's name. He has never married and likely never will.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,896 times
I dont know about video poker even the 9/6 JOB machines dont have 100 percent payouts. It's a good way to get comps though.

As others have said, poker. If you're playing 2/5nl + a decent living is entirely possible assuming you're a good player, practice good bankroll management and stay away from the table games.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlife View Post
Whats funny is he gets crushed in tournaments, but sit him at a table at the Venetian or the Wynn and hes good to go...
I'm the opposite. I do pretty well at the tournaments, but only play low limit LHE ring games. I'd probably do ok at the NL ring games if I could afford the inevitable swings, but I can't, so I stick mostly to tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
It MIGHT be possible to make a living at the following:

-Sports betting

I'm not sold on this one. It seems that the really great handicappers wind up working for someone.
A friend of mine is a handicapper. He's started a business doing it, and it seems to be doing pretty well. I doubt he'll end up working for someone, though, as he's currently living in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas