Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 AM

450 posts, read 1,514,273 times

Advertisements

Anyone from now on that you talk to in FL that tells you Las Vegas is dangerous, tell them that us Nevadans think FL is overrun with man eating snakes, lizards, sharks, and poisonous bugs because we all watched that on Animal Planet. "I will never move to FL because I'd be too afraid of sharks eating me in the ocean, or pythons swallowing or choking me in the backyard."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Beside....if we had giant mice n such running around we'd shoot em

SOOO Long Micky n Minnie

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Well, I know 1 thing: if you're a recovering alcoholic or drug addict, this isn't the place to be really. I've been to Vegas lots of times (first time back in 1985 with my parents). And I've seen lots of down-and-outs there living in dingy little motel rooms (even outside the Strip) and drinking out of large bottles of hard whiskey and such. Not a pretty sight. And you see this everyday.

Not the best place to try to stay sober, that's for sure.
C'mon. Not sure what previous cities you have lived in, but this stuff happens everywhere and if you are an addict, you are an addict. Recovering or not, if you want it, you can and will get it. Bars and party stores everywhere. Drug dealers operate 24/7 everywhere, not just in Vegas. You can live a sober life in Vegas (even as a recovering addict) just as well as anywhere. You just don't necessarily want to hang where "it" is prevalent. Same anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Look at the bright side, whenever you go to another town and meet people and tell them you are from Vegas you end up the life of the party. They tell you the dumbest things they think you will relate to like "I enjoy going to Atlantic City twice a year" or "they just opened a new buffet restaurant a few miles away, its really good". I mean bizarre stuff. But you are like a minor celebrity, others will hear you are from Vegas and want to come over and talk to you as well.

You'll know the depths of these comments when they say something like you'll gain 30 pounds from all the buffets you will eat. I remember hearing that one before I moved many moons ago. Buffets didn't add to my weight, but marriage sure did...
LOL! That is true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
Maybe because they're all used to oversized mice, bears, ducks, squirrels, etc in Orlando, the residents there think Las Vegas is horrible place. Granted we don't have huge mascots entertaining guests on the Strip, but life is good here. I love living here, first big city I've ever lived in, and I made it for over a year and a half now...just bought my first home and loving that as well!

Just get involved and meet people so you don't get lonely or bored.
LOL! I don't know, there are a couple statues in front of Caesars that are entertaining!

When my DD (14) told her best friend's mom she was moving here, she said, "oh, be careful you will probably end up becoming sleezy. Most of the girls that live there are now sliding down poles"!!!!! Nice, huh? This mom has never barely been out of her driveway, much less to Vegas. Don't people realize there are people who LIVE there? (and trust me, she best be watching her own daughter, because...well I won't even go there)

Just words, Davie, just words. Blow them off, roll your eyes, keep doing your research and the best of luck to you! You will soon be visiting there, right? You will know when you know.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,273 times
My mother would probably tranquilize me and take me back to NY if she found out the shenanigans I've been up to lately! lol All legal of course, but....yeah..well, we'll just leave it at that! lol

Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Look at the bright side, whenever you go to another town and meet people and tell them you are from Vegas you end up the life of the party. They tell you the dumbest things they think you will relate to like "I enjoy going to Atlantic City twice a year" or "they just opened a new buffet restaurant a few miles away, its really good". I mean bizarre stuff. But you are like a minor celebrity, others will hear you are from Vegas and want to come over and talk to you as well.

You'll know the depths of these comments when they say something like you'll gain 30 pounds from all the buffets you will eat. I remember hearing that one before I moved many moons ago. Buffets didn't add to my weight, but marriage sure did...
MANY MANY MANY years ago....I moved to France for 3 yrs in the air Force. I went to an open market in the Town of Nancy....at the market was a shop that sold African spices and coffee...it was run by two guys from French Equatorial Africa...We were browsing their shop....they spoke only French...not one word of English....we were talking to them...asked where they were from etc....they asked where we were from. I told them Colorado [no reaction] wife told them St Louis [they had never heard of it]...then we said that we had been stationed in Las Vegas.....their eyes lit up and they uttered the ONLY words they new in American....LAS VEGASSSSS..... that's when I realized that I now lived in the most famous city in the world.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
MANY MANY MANY years ago....I moved to France for 3 yrs in the air Force. I went to an open market in the Town of Nancy....at the market was a shop that sold African spices and coffee...it was run by two guys from French Equatorial Africa...We were browsing their shop....they spoke only French...not one word of English....we were talking to them...asked where they were from etc....they asked where we were from. I told them Colorado [no reaction] wife told them St Louis [they had never heard of it]...then we said that we had been stationed in Las Vegas.....their eyes lit up and they uttered the ONLY words they new in American....LAS VEGASSSSS..... that's when I realized that I now lived in the most famous city in the world.
You my friend, got repped for that

Althought I know quite a few New Yorkers who would debate with you that NYC is more famous then LV

I also know people who would say Orlando is more famous, but I think LV is

And to kimba, I do block them out, but now it is just overkill. My supervisor at work even asked me
"You're only 20, you cant gamble, and you cant drink, and you wont have much money to shop with, so why are you wasting your money on Las Vegas if you cant do ANYTHING?"

The general manager when he found out I was going to Vegas he said "Well, you're doing financially well aren't you?"

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
People have feelings about Las Vegas. They either LOVE it or HATE it. Not much in-between. Now ask someone about say, Omaha. You'll get a few lovers and a few haters but most of your responses will be much more middle of the road.

Now I don't want to live somewhere middle of the road, aka boring. And it doesn't matter if you love or hate Vegas.....very few people will say it's boring!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:18 PM

I think I might even have to ask where the heck Omaha is!!! LOL!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I think I might even have to ask where the heck Omaha is!!! LOL!
It's in the middle of the road.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
It's in the middle of the road.
LOL! Yeah, actually my brother in law just moved there. It is very beautiful there too, but COLD and SNOWY! He said he doesn't think their winters last as long as Michigan's do, but in my eyes any winter beyond Christmas is TOO long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: