Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 103,657 times

Advertisements

I recently got a letter in the mail saying that I owe 8.1% on a $15,000 car I recently purchased in Nevada. I purchased the car from an individual (bonafide non-dealer) and yet I still receive this notice that I have to pay $1500 in 14 days or else they won't give me my title/registration. How can they do this?

It is written very clear in Nevada law that a private party sale of a vehicle is not eligible to be taxed after January 1, 2006. Do these morons at the DMV even read their own laws and regulations?

These people at the DMV ought to be replaced with monkeys since the monkeys probably have better decision making than these losers at the DMV.

I will probably have to wait another 4 hours at the DMV to talk to some idiot who can barely tie their shoelaces about why I need to pay this sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laforza View Post
It is written very clear in Nevada law that a private party sale of a vehicle is not eligible to be taxed after January 1, 2006.
It does? Can you point me to the NRS code for that? I'm not doubting you, but I haven't bought a vehicle since I moved here and when I do, that could be handy information to have.

In California, they charged you sales tax regardless of who bought it from whom, so I just assumed it was similar here until reading your post.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Just found this (http://www.dmvstat.com/nvreg.htm#private - broken link):
Quote:
Sales Taxes are not collected on private party vehicle sales that occurred on or after January 1, 2006. On private sales that occurred in 2005 or earlier, sales taxes are paid to DMV based either on the depreciated Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) or a vehicle appraisal.
Pretty cool - yet another reason I'm glad I left California (the list is long). I'd still like to see the relevant NRS code, though. Maybe I'll keep digging.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It does? Can you point me to the NRS code for that? I'm not doubting you, but I haven't bought a vehicle since I moved here and when I do, that could be handy information to have.

In California, they charged you sales tax regardless of who bought it from whom, so I just assumed it was similar here until reading your post.
See....

Nevada DMV Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.dmvstat.com/faqs.htm#sales - broken link)

Does not cite the NRS but is pretty specific.

I would presume that they are going to claim the seller is a dealer...

If you sell more than three cars in a year you are a dealer....

Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM

I don't know how they could claim he was a dealer since he is not a licensed dealer in Nevada or any state for that matter. I know the guy and this is the first car he has sold in years so it's not like he is selling a lot of cars and failing to register as a dealer.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Yes do not buy a used car from a dealer here! That is unless you like paying more taxes. It always amazed me that people would buy a car from a used car dealer here; they get screwed once when they buy the car and then screwed again when they have to pay taxes on it.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laforza View Post
I don't know how they could claim he was a dealer since he is not a licensed dealer in Nevada or any state for that matter. I know the guy and this is the first car he has sold in years so it's not like he is selling a lot of cars and failing to register as a dealer.
You sure? The statute is quite clear. So I can't imagine why they would tell you the tax is due.

Unless the guy is the classic side street dealer who lost track of his deals. these guys sell in their kids name and wife's name and dog's name to avoid getting four sales.

Let us know how it comes out. Be curious why they come after you and not the seller who is normally due for sales tax in NV.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Good to know. I just assumed that private party sales were taxed like they are in CA.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You sure? The statute is quite clear. So I can't imagine why they would tell you the tax is due.

Unless the guy is the classic side street dealer who lost track of his deals. these guys sell in their kids name and wife's name and dog's name to avoid getting four sales.

Let us know how it comes out. Be curious why they come after you and not the seller who is normally due for sales tax in NV.

It's hard to believe I know. Leave it to the DMV to take up more of our time. This guy definitely is not a dealer, he is a family friend who gave me a great deal on a car because he can no longer drive. I will keep you all posted on what happens but be sure I will pay no unjust tax!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
The car I bought here in Vegas from a private party I did not have to pay any taxes on it. I never paid any taxes on private party cars back in Arizona either. I am saddened to learn that California charges a tax on private party deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas