Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:18 PM

46 posts, read 87,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
Not to be a naysayer here or anything, but you keep throwing out about not moving to/living where certain races of degenerates live. You did cover by adding more races to that statement, but honestly, there are no certain neighborhoods that are profoundly white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. Las Vegas is a huge melting pot and there is a mix of different races and classes in all neighborhoods. You're not going to be living on a "white" street, or a "latin" street/neighborhood, so try to be more open minded about that. Especially since the prices of homes in the valley decreased significantly, it became possible for people to move from high crime areas to safer areas with their families.
If crime is what you're worried about most, then definitely stay away from the Northeast and certain areas within 1-2 miles of the Strip on all sides, N/S/W/E.
Flamingo and Mountain Vista is an older neighborhood from what I've noticed driving by. My friends live in 89122 near Stallion Mountain golf course and their neighborhood is safe, nothing I've seen or heard all the times I've visited there. Also take a look around Sunset Station, 89015, 89014, 89012, 89011.

You can live in everyone perceives as the safest, most exclusive community, yet there will still be car thefts, break-ins, etc. McDonald's Ranch had a home intrusion while the residents were living there, according to my realtor, and they were confronted at gunpoint. So it doesn't matter where you live, or who lives near you, there is crime everywhere.
Quoted for wisdom beyond her years. And just have to say i find racial profiling to be disgusting and often simply not correct. Criminals can be found in any and every color or lack of. Sorry, nothing to add to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 02:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I live close to Flamingo and Mtn Vista. From my perspective, it's been quite safe. I don't walk alone at night but I wouldn't do that in Summerlin either. My little area is very quiet and we have a great mix of people in my little corner of the world. Everyone gets along great. It's urban and that carries it's own risk.

All depends on what you want and where you came from. If it's the rural midwest, you could be scared to death. If you come from NYC or DC, it's a walk in the park. You need to be aware of your surroundings and observant. I often walk to Wally World or run to the Cannery. I wanted urban where I could walk if I wanted to so I think it's great.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:47 PM

58 posts, read 343,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I live close to Flamingo and Mtn Vista. From my perspective, it's been quite safe. I don't walk alone at night but I wouldn't do that in Summerlin either. My little area is very quiet and we have a great mix of people in my little corner of the world. Everyone gets along great. It's urban and that carries it's own risk.

All depends on what you want and where you came from. If it's the rural midwest, you could be scared to death. If you come from NYC or DC, it's a walk in the park. You need to be aware of your surroundings and observant. I often walk to Wally World or run to the Cannery. I wanted urban where I could walk if I wanted to so I think it's great.
Thanks yellowsnow. I'm coming from a pretty upscale Los Angeles suburb (Ventura County) where there's virtually no crime, so 89121 would be a pretty drastic change in environment. Like I mentioned before...If some hoodlums were looking for someone on the street to pick out and rob, it would probably be me, since I'm short, white, young, and don't look like broke white-trash. Basically I look like I'm easy to take advantage of, which kinda freaks me out.

But anyways, I'm starting to have my doubts about 89121. Like I said before, I'd rather live in the 89102, 89103, or anywhere in the southwest but it's just to damn expensive. I only have a $90k budget for a house.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM

366 posts, read 1,212,744 times
Do yourself a favor and stay out of that area. There are soo many good deals out there right now in MUCH nicer and safer areas.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 PM

177 posts, read 357,114 times
what makes you wanna buy a house in 89102 and 89103?
I used to live in 89102 before I moved to 89103 two years ago. I can tell you white people don't live in this area. I am here because it is close to many Aisan communities and shopping centers.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
what makes you wanna buy a house in 89102 and 89103?
I used to live in 89102 before I moved to 89103 two years ago. I can tell you white people don't live in this area. I am here because it is close to many Aisan communities and shopping centers.
Yeah, Chinatown is right near by. I almost bought a house in 89102...the area at least seemed a lot better than 89121 or 89122. Seems like there's good spots & bad spots but overall it was better. Did you get a different view on the area?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 PM

177 posts, read 357,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmjm924x View Post
Yeah, Chinatown is right near by. I almost bought a house in 89102...the area at least seemed a lot better than 89121 or 89122. Seems like there's good spots & bad spots but overall it was better. Did you get a different view on the area?
Well, as I have said before, I live in 89102/103 because it is close to many Chinese and Korean stores. If I am not an Asian I would probably live in Summerlin or Henderson. I also notice that you only have a 90K budget so the southwest area is probably the only area you can afford. Since you are not an Asian, I suggest you to stay closer to Rainbow Blvd (the west side of 89103/103) as much as possible. Only consider properties west of Decatur Blvd. Things turn ugly when you get closer to the strip.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
Well, as I have said before, I live in 89102/103 because it is close to many Chinese and Korean stores. If I am not an Asian I would probably live in Summerlin or Henderson. I also notice that you only have a 90K budget so the southwest area is probably the only area you can afford. Since you are not an Asian, I suggest you to stay closer to Rainbow Blvd (the west side of 89103/103) as much as possible. Only consider properties west of Decatur Blvd. Things turn ugly when you get closer to the strip.
Hmmm, I seem to have had different results. You said the only place I'd probably be able to afford to live would be in the southwest, but in fact, I have found the exact opposite to be true. I like the southwest the best, but there is nothing affordable there because it is a desired area, and in general, the homes seem to be situated on bigger plots of land (not to mention that the homes are nicer along with the neighborhoods in general). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the input though.

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-16-2010 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: racial generalizations removed

Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Mcneill Estates is in 89102 and it's an area I love. I don't think there's much in your price range though.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 10,253 times
I just closed on a house in 89121 and its like any other city. There are more law enforcement in Vegas than most places. If you have a good security system in your home and home owners insurance you will be well protected against any potential loss or damage.

You can also contact your district police outpost to setup your neighborhood BLOCK WATCH program. Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (http://www.lvmpd.com/programs/neighborhoodwatch.html - broken link)

Get involved with your neighborhood and keep an eye out for one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas