Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times

Advertisements

ive been an Ohio dealer for years, and yes those fees do happen.. I've never charged a Market adjustment, Protection pkg, etc.. My advice, walk out.. you know they will call you back in.. You should be negotiating off the sticker and thats it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM

307 posts, read 1,097,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwatch View Post
The line is on average 2 hours (yes, 2 hours) just to get a number to sit down and wait again to speak to somebody. It's the absolutely poorest run DMV system I have seen. I have seen quite a few mind you, so get there very early in the morning so that you can be close to the front of the line...think of it like a Best Buy on black Friday, only it's like that everyday.

Hope that helps!!
If you show up at 4:55pm you will be out of there by 5:30.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM

also, at $2500 in Vegas, it is HIGHLY unlikely a big name dealer will have anything in that price range. Ive learned one thing here.. 5 grand doesn't buy much... Now I know why people from Cali and Nevada bought my cars on the internet and shipped them... much much much cheaper.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
also, at $2500 in Vegas, it is HIGHLY unlikely a big name dealer will have anything in that price range. Ive learned one thing here.. 5 grand doesn't buy much... Now I know why people from Cali and Nevada bought my cars on the internet and shipped them... much much much cheaper.
With all due respect, the cars are worth more here because they are not rust buckets like the cars back east. Buying a car from back east and having it shipped here is totally stupid.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
With all due respect, the cars are worth more here because they are not rust buckets like the cars back east. Buying a car from back east and having it shipped here is totally stupid.
not if its 1 or 2 years old, and you saved $5000. not all areas of the east use salt either...

Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I disagree on what you said about the Nevada DMV. I think it is amazing how much more efficient it is now than it was for a few years right after the gold rush started. Keep in mind, most DMV's aren't going to have the volume we have here. I don't think we still have 4,000 new people a month like we did from 1987 to 2007, but we still have more new people moving in than most anywhere. The system in use now was set up for when we had 3,000 to 6,000 people coming here per month.

Our DMV people are very friendly for the stress they are under. I remember my first experience there in 1964. The lady was very nice to me, and anytime I've been there since then they've been nice. When the invasion started in about 1987, no state agency was ready for that kind of influx of new people. But they did get the system overhauled and working a whole lot better. I've been to DMV's and other agencies in other states too and I'd put ours up against any of them.
I came from an area that has 1.4 million more people than the Vegas area. Never once did I spend more than 20 minutes in any DMV there. I wouldn't want a job at the DMV here for any wage. I do agree that they are a heck of alot more civil than I would be in their position.

The issue with the DMV here is Gov. Gibbons rather hasty and unneeded move to these RealID drivers licenses. The lady that helped me said that at least 80% of the people there didn't need to be, and that they were just there to get the new licenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I disagree. We have one of the best transit systems in the country. We have other agencies from across the country and Canada come to us for advice on how to operate.
Perhaps for a bus transit system, but to say that Las Vegas' transit system is on a level with Chicago, Atlanta, or New York is like saying a Cobalt is as fun to drive as a Corvette. In both respects, they are different animals. One is for getting groceries, and the other is for getting groceries really really fast. Las Vegas has a transit system geared towards any relatively large urban/suburban area. Just don't expect to get to where you're wanting to go in a timely or efficient manner. The above named cities have mass transit systems to get you from point A to point B in the quickest way possible. Where it's impractical to drive due to insane congestion and inadequate infrastructure. Las Vegas doesn't have, nor need, a mass transit system like that. Is it one of the best? I'm sure that we could start a whole new thread on that subject

Old 03-25-2010, 01:25 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
I came from an area that has 1.4 million more people than the Vegas area. Never once did I spend more than 20 minutes in any DMV there. I wouldn't want a job at the DMV here for any wage. I do agree that they are a heck of a lot more civil than I would be in their position.

The issue with the DMV here is Gov. Gibbons rather hasty and unneeded move to these RealID drivers licenses. The lady that helped me said that at least 80% of the people there didn't need to be, and that they were just there to get the new licenses.

Perhaps for a bus transit system, but to say that Las Vegas' transit system is on a level with Chicago, Atlanta, or New York is like saying a Cobalt is as fun to drive as a Corvette. In both respects, they are different animals. One is for getting groceries, and the other is for getting groceries really really fast. Las Vegas has a transit system geared toward any relatively large urban/suburban area. Just don't expect to get to where you're wanting to go in a timely or efficient manner. The above named cities have mass transit systems to get you from point A to point B in the quickest way possible. Where it's impractical to drive due to insane congestion and inadequate infrastructure. Las Vegas doesn't have, nor need, a mass transit system like that. Is it one of the best? I'm sure that we could start a whole new thread on that subject
I guess the difference might be that probably the 3.4 million people in your area didn't just move there all at once with everybody needing to register out of state cars, and get new DL's at the same time.

Most of those cities with subway/train systems, and other mass transit installed it before Las Vegas was even established. Subways have been in business in older cities for over 100 years. Then, of course, nobody thought Las Vegas would grow from 200,000 to 2,000,000 in about 30 years ...let alone from 0 to 2 million in 100 years. That's less time then it would take to really install such elaborate mass transit systems here, even if anyone knew where it would all end, or where to lay the rails.

Western cities are all spread out and have a long habit of depending on cars. Besides cars are symbolic of the westerner's preference for independence and freedom to move around over vast areas. Westerners are not confined to the small congested areas that easterners take as a normal way of life. Most of the big cities with mass transit are only big in population, and not as spread out as Las Vegas and other western cities.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,746 times
Quote:
Heck, public transportation anywhere out of the NE or big city midwest (Chicago, Atlanta) is horrible and/or nonexistent.
Quote:
Perhaps for a bus transit system, but to say that Las Vegas' transit system is on a level with Chicago, Atlanta, or New York is like saying a Cobalt is as fun to drive as a Corvette.
My original response was to the first comment above. You stated that any public transportation out side the NE or big MW city was horrible/nonexistent. You thought I was talking about Las Vegas transit which I cannot comment on since I live in Portland OR. We are not MW/NE and do have one of the best transit systems. We have had 4 new light rail lines and a commuter rail line open in the last 12 years and have two more in the next 8 years. The Feds love us when it come to funding.

TriMet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TriMet: About TriMet - Awards & Recognition

P.S. I may be a little biased.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 18,167 times
I just took my car in for service at a Towbin Group dealership (6/16/2011). As I was strolling through the sales floor every vehicle their has dealer add on that amount to more than $2,000 per car: etching, paint protection, even a back-up warning system!!!

On top of that, their doc fee is $500 alone!!!

The last dealership that I felt was good (2008) was Desert Chrysler on Sahara (closed now). No add-ons, no bull and the service dept was top notch.

Can we start a consolidated forum where we can list these fees/add-ons by dealership and date?
I feel it could help people be better informed and make better decisions?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
I will put it this way- if you don't work and you reside in an all inclusive community, you can get by without a car. Otherwise you pretty much need a car. Although the RTC service is fairly decent by western city standards and some of it runs 24 hours, it is hot to be waiting on a bus in the day and it can be creepy to ride it at night. You can always try to get by without a car and see if it works for you and then buy one locally if it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas