Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
Movers will be here Friday morning for the move to Henderson. I think everything is taken care of and should be smooth sailing

BUT

I've never moved cross country. Are there any lessons learned from those who have done this that I should to be aware of?
Do NOT sign the form stating that you have received everything until you are absolutely positive it has arrived. It will be a chaotic day - no way to track all of your boxes as they come off the truck no matter how hard you try. You will be tired and they may subtly pressure you to sign at the end of the day, but resist until you are completely satisfied, even if it takes a week for you to verify.

During one of my moves many years ago, I discovered several high dollar items missing a few days later, after it was too late. Moving company's response: "Nothing we can do. You certified that everything arrived." Lesson learned the hard way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,377 times
Yes cleaning supplies! lol I am a germaphobe and don't feel "at home" until the place is cleaned, and since the arrival day will be chaotic with people going in and out of the house that day, it's going to be quite hard, leaving to run to the store to buy cleaning products...like paper towels, toilet paper, lysol, etc. Plus, if they want to take a shower?? Nowadays, you have no idea what the previous tenants did to the place before they left, and I've heard and seen horror stories. My place still scares me at times, wondering what I'll find in a nook or cranny! lol

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
that doesn't count, i will clarify.. best Fast Food burger is in and out
No problem, I totally agree there.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM

157 posts, read 420,257 times
Cleaning supplies are a great idea! But our wonderful realtor paid to have the place cleaned as a thank you gift.....but I doubt they clean to my standards.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Trash Can great advice! The mover we're using has us as their sole move. Everything on the truck will be ours so when the truck is empty we have all our stuff!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 PM

Unless of course they make a pit stop on the way and sell our stuff!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 PM

56 posts, read 118,805 times
Lisa, Let me give my two cents. Make that one cent, I may need that other penny with the way the economy is going. I have been in the military for many years and as such have had the pleasure of having my stuff destroyed by movers many times. The biggest leason I have learned is make sure that the clowns that packed your stuff are also going to unpack your stuff on the other end of the move. The only fairly smooth move I have had is the one where I demanded that it be one team from start to finish. They were not happy about it but knowing that they could not just point fingers at "the other guys" somehow enabled my stuff to arrive with very little damage..

Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 PM

Great advice xyz! I actually took airics advice and bid the move throuh uship.com. We have a small but reputable company (based on testimonials) doing the packing/unpacking with the same two guys on both ends. We've pre-packed everything. All they have to do is load and unload. We found it significantly cheaper to go that route.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Quote:
Trash Can great advice! The mover we're using has us as their sole move. Everything on the truck will be ours so when the truck is empty we have all our stuff!
An empty truck at the end of the day does not mean all is well. Some (not all) of these movers come off as courteous and professional, when in reality, they are scum.

Quote:
Unless of course they make a pit stop on the way and sell our stuff!
They just may do that. They've been doing this a lot longer than you and have ways to try to trick you into believing that everything arrived, when it really didn't.

Take your time. Don't trust them. It's your stuff!

Good luck and welcome to Vegas!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Great advice xyz! I actually took airics advice and bid the move throuh uship.com. We have a small but reputable company (based on testimonials) doing the packing/unpacking with the same two guys on both ends. We've pre-packed everything. All they have to do is load and unload. We found it significantly cheaper to go that route.
just curious, was it Regalfast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: