Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,872 times

Advertisements

I am considering placing an offer on a house from the 70's which is in fairly good shape, to the naked eye. But I am concerned about what could be the case structurally, roofing, plumbing and wiring. Any advice on wWhat should I look for specifically before I make my decision?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,496 times
Jimmy Hoffa in the attic.

In all seriousness, pay for your own independent homeowners inspection for any property you intend to buy.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM

307 posts, read 1,222,775 times
lead paints

Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,730 times
The older homes are poorly insulated and usually have single pain glass windows, airconditioner units are usually to small for the home and work hard and between the poor insulation and thin windows and small air conditioner your utility bills can be sky hi. Also irrigation is usually very close to the wall and when it turns on has been known to get in the house and cause mold you can't see. If the roof is asphalt it has a short life in the desert and if you plan on changing the roof to tile the roof supports aren't usually strong enough and you will have to change that all out.
Buidling codes were't enforced when these older homes were built.
Fixer uppers regarding older homes especially , are not like fixer uppers in colder climates the homes really need more work due to the extreme heat . Make sure you have your own inspector, if you want a roof inspection you will have to hire a separate licensed inspector for that since regular home inspectors usually will not get on a roof. If the inspector finds something that looks like mold he can only identify it as possible toxic substance and then you will have to hire a license mold inspector.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the input - I'll definitely have my own inspector pick the house apart. It has recently been renovated, and there are dual-pane windows and I guess lead paint won't be an issue unless I decide to sand down through a couple of layers later on. Roof shingles may need to be replaced but that I am aware of and expect to deal with in the near future. Still, I may have a separate roof inspector drop by. Mold, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that as well. At least there's not really and lawns/grass or plants up to the house so hopefully irrigation will not be an issue.

How about termite damage - is that common in vegas? I will look for it, and have a separate pest inspection, but is it likely to have hidden/older damages since it is about 30 years old?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
what are Termites?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
I'd worry about asbestos in the popcorn ceiling, if you have any. It was banned by the end of the '70s, but still common as late as 1978. If you decide to scrape it off, you need someone certified in asbestos removal to take it off.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:10 PM

That's a good point. Where can i take a sample piece to test for asbestos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas