Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 PM

43 posts, read 94,198 times

Advertisements

^^ Ahh yes, I think it was your post Madman that had the link! (Thanks for posting it in the first place) I personally love the look of the property with the garages apart, it looks interesting. We have just started our holiday house hunt so I am still learning the areas. I have read a bit about Southern Highlands and now I am just unsure about it. If you dont mind, can you say what made your mind up MadMan??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Oh we dont need a Casita, just the style of the property. The lights in the pool were a nice touch also.Lol!!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:33 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladbaguk View Post
We have just started our holiday house hunt so I am still learning the areas. I have read a bit about Southern Highlands and now I am just unsure about it. If you dont mind, can you say what made your mind up MadMan??
We just decided we wanted to be closer in to the Strip and the rest of the city. We decided on a community called Spanish Trail that is off of Tropicana Avenue about 5 miles west of the Strip. But besides that, we have shopping, restaurants, and other businesses all around us. Southern Highlands was a little too far out for us without much commercial activity in the immediate vicinity.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks for your reply Madman, that is the one thing my husband is concerned about, he wants to be able to walk to places etc. I think it will take a few weeks maybe a few months of research before we find somewhere. We were just so taken with the house you posted, it is such a beauty!!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Madman, that is the one thing my husband is concerned about, he wants to be able to walk to places etc. I think it will take a few weeks maybe a few months of research before we find somewhere. We were just so taken with the house you posted, it is such a beauty!!
As a general rule south western US cities do not do walk to anywhere. It is five minute drive versus 20 minute drive. MMB has a very nice place to walk....but to eat they drive. (Their particular situation does have a nice country club where they could eat...but you get tired of a single restaurant after a while)

In general the style of homes will be consistent within a tract. But it will not be similar in the overall community. You would for instance find homes similar to the one you like in the Vineyards in Summerlin. And there is a similar "lighter weighted" tract in the middle of Centennial Hills. And some of the homes bordering Lake Las Vegas have that look.

The garage door split is a technique used by architects to conserve space on the front of a lot. It is also done with a two/one pair of doors.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 AM

Thank you for your help Olecapt! As soon as we are ready to look at the areas and buy, I would like to contact you and hopefully you can represent us. Been reading all the helpful posts :-)
I will look into the Vineyards, Centennial Hill for this style of home. Thanks again!

Madman chose a lovely area in Spanish Trails, I hope to be as lucky!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
(Their particular situation does have a nice country club where they could eat...but you get tired of a single restaurant after a while)
Hey! We have two restuarants in the clubhouse!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM

I found the pictures of the house you purchased MadMan and it is beyond beautiful, having shown my Husband over 40 pictures of properties, yours and the first one I posted were the only ones of around 5 he thought looked fantastic.

Now he is wanting to get a holiday condo home in Bal Harbour but I am pushing massively for Las Vegas. I wonder who will win that one!!Lol!!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I found the pictures of the house you purchased MadMan and it is beyond beautiful, having shown my Husband over 40 pictures of properties, yours and the first one I posted were the only ones of around 5 he thought looked fantastic.

Now he is wanting to get a holiday condo home in Bal Harbour but I am pushing massively for Las Vegas. I wonder who will win that one!!Lol!!
Thank you so much for the compliment.

Is that Bal Harbour, Florida that you are considering? If so, that is an excellent choice for a holiday home. I'm originally from Miami, went to college at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, and am familiar with the entire South Florida area. (My entire family still lives down there.)

Of course, it would be a completely different type of holiday than Las Vegas. If you (or your husband) are looking for sun, sand, surf and beautiful weather in the winter, you couldn't choose a better location. You'd have wonderful daytime activities centered around the beach, and then you could take a short drive down Collins Avenue to South Beach for clubbing or other evening entertainment.

I had a choice when I retired earlier this month to move back to South Florida or to Las Vegas. Obviously, I've chosen Las Vegas and I couldn't be happier. But if I was still living in Washington, D.C., and looking to get out of the winter weather for a couple of weeks a year, I would probably choose a condo in the Miami Beach area over Las Vegas.

But that is just personal preference. Good luck on whichever choice you ultimately make.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:54 AM

Yes, it is bal harbour, I agree with all of your points, you have provided me with such useful information, thanks MadMan.

I am leaning towards Las Vegas, the home you have and the ongoing lifestyle is hard to beat compared to Bal Harbour. In the next few months we are taking a trip to both places but spending a few days longer in Las Vegas.Lol!!

Quite a lot to think about, when we have finally decided, I will start a few thread and provide pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas