Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM

157 posts, read 420,288 times

Advertisements

Second day in Vegas....love, love, love it here!

Last week I asked for tips on how to do a cross country move. Several advised to sell our stuff and buy new once here. Being a female who loves her stuff I scoffed and said NO WAY!

After loading stuff for 13 hours in Dallas, driving for 27 of 32 hours from Dallas to Vegas (we hit a freak snow storm on the way) and then unloading for another 8 hours I realized....THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHEREOF THEY SPEAK!!

We're now living in a sea of boxes since we both had to be back at work yesterday. It will eventually all get done but it would have been a lot less stressful if I would have just listened to the wisdom.

....headed out for lunch for my first In and Out burger ever...YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
Second day in Vegas....love, love, love it here!

Last week I asked for tips on how to do a cross country move. Several advised to sell our stuff and buy new once here. Being a female who loves her stuff I scoffed and said NO WAY!

After loading stuff for 13 hours in Dallas, driving for 27 of 32 hours from Dallas to Vegas (we hit a freak snow storm on the way) and then unloading for another 8 hours I realized....THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHEREOF THEY SPEAK!!

We're now living in a sea of boxes since we both had to be back at work yesterday. It will eventually all get done but it would have been a lot less stressful if I would have just listened to the wisdom.

Nice post, glad to see you made it here safely. You'll find a lot to love here in Las Vegas, enjoy!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:48 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,631 times
I was one of the ones who said to sell, you should have listened. One way tickets on SWA are the best way to move across country.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Or you reach the point in life where you have the moving van pull up mess of guys get off...pack up your stuff and you next see it unpacked in the new house at the other end having spent the intervening two weeks poolside at a nice hotel.

We moved relativel painlessly across the US multiple times. Had one screw up where the van disappeared for a month...But other than that all pretty much pain free. Corporate paid moves are nice that way.

We also have a couple here locally who will pack you up and unpack you with virtually no user involvement. And they do a good job of mapping old home into new home and handling the inconsistencies.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
There are guys hanging out at home depot for a reason.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:09 PM

We actually paid a company to move us, but we did all of the packing and are now unpacking.

The mover wasn't a national 'name' and we found him through uship.com...we got what we paid for. We saved thousands of dollars but his truck wasn't big enough, he didn't have enough guys, many of our pieces have new gouge marks...you name it he screwed it up.

But all of our stuff is here, no one was injured or bleeding; so in the end it will all be good. But if I ever move again, I WILL SELL much of my stuff first!!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
I'm sure hoping the armoire from Thailand is still intact. I have a few of those precious kind of pieces too so I know how you feel. Going to sell off many things before I make the move and if short on anything, remember to hit Colleen's on Sahara. I love that place.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
Also try Tommy's in Henderson, next to Saint Rose hospital. It's another California classic.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
remember to hit Colleen's on Sahara. I love that place.
There's also one at Rainbow & Cheyenne.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Hi JJ,

The Thailand armoire is intact but it almost killed a couple of movers getting it up the stairs to the master. It is literally 8' tall, solid wood and weighs 500 or 600 lbs...hubby has pre-warned me that if we move again the armoire is getting cut up into little pieces of firewood and thrown over the balcony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas