Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Here is an enlightening report on the subject:

While both supporters and opponents of increased public school funding have made their respective arguments based on test scores, the truth is that no comprehensive, national comparison of the proficiency of all students has ever been undertaken, let alone published. That said, national comparisons of subsets of students indicate that Nevada students fare no better than mid-range, and are most often well below students in other states when evaluating achievement based on standardized test performance.

While media attention has typically focused on identifying schools as "achieving" or "failing" in a particular year, the longer-term notion that all students must achieve proficiency by school year 2013-2014 raises the question of where is Nevada on the continuum toward this ideal vision. Since the Clark County School District comprises nearly three-fourths of state-wide enrollment, its annual targets and progress are highly relevant in answering this question.

http://media.lasvegassun.com/media/p..._Narrative.pdf
And there is the rub. Large school systems have quite a different set of parameters than small ones. And urban school systems have a different set of parameters than suburban and rural ones.

when you get all done LV schools are pretty much grossly underfunded. But the better schools probably hang in there reasonably well while the low end schools go to hell in a handbasket.

Been ever thus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalette_ftfo View Post
So my hubby and I currently live in salt lake, utah. We've been recently thinking about moving to vegas. We are expecting our first child, and need a place where its a great family area. I've been to vegas a lot, but hubby's never been. So we're going there in may to hopefully make our decision. Here's a few of our main reasons for thinking about moving there: We have a pit bull and nevada allows them (where as utah is getting worse with the banning), its not freezing, and we can't stand utah. It'll also be nice because we're close enough our family can still visit.
So what I need to know is where are some good communities to move to? We were looking at The Fountains at Flamingo aartments, because they're nice, and their pet policy. We want to live there for 6 months- 1 year before getting a house. So anyone know of those apartments? and wheres some good places to check out?

Thanks!
This was just in the news today regarding the how schools and students are fairing.

Las Vegas Chamber study: Nevada students not making the grade - My ...Mar 30, 2010 ... CUSTOMIZE YOUR SITE. My News 3. Tuesday March 30 7:08am ... Top Stories on MyNews3.com. Health and Wellness. Lawn and Garden ...
www.mynews3.com/story.php?id=13996&n=5035 - 35 minutes ago

Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I would try to get your kids in charter schools instead of the public schools.
I checked out the websites for the charters and was not really impressed. The virtual charter that uses the "K-12" curriculum did pique my interest, but no others left much of an impression.

The magnets seemed more attractive than the charters.

Am I missing something? Anyone have some good info on the charters?

We are waiting this week for word back on the middle school magnet lottery/selection. If mine did not get in, I have to start looking at the other options - and if I am missing something about charters I'd love to hear it (for a 6th grader).

Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM

366 posts, read 1,212,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
This was just in the news today regarding the how schools and students are fairing.

Las Vegas Chamber study: Nevada students not making the grade - My ...Mar 30, 2010 ... CUSTOMIZE YOUR SITE. My News 3. Tuesday March 30 7:08am ... Top Stories on MyNews3.com. Health and Wellness. Lawn and Garden ...
www.mynews3.com/story.php?id=13996&n=5035 - 35 minutes ago
What a shame....jusr reassures what I have been reading and researching. Time to start saving for private schooling if I plan on staying here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas