Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 PM

43 posts, read 62,705 times

Advertisements

Finally moving to vegas...husband already there. Have a job..husband was able to transfer with current job. We have a boy that will be in 8th grade next year..so what is the best schools. Thru research I have read Cornado, Green Valley and Palo Verde are about the best but what about Sierra Vista and Foothill if we can't find the right house in the other schools districts?? We are so excited and I can't wait to be there as well...won't be long as we have a contract on our house in another state....luckily didn't take long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 AM

367 posts, read 815,721 times
First of all, Clark County is one big school district. It took some adjusting for me, too.

Second, the NW (Centennial Hills, esp. the northern part) have some great public schools. He's in 8th, so you're looking for 1 year at a middle, and the rest at a high school - generally, you're talking Centennial or Arbor View for that area. Centennial is better than Arbor View, but Arbor View isn't "bad".

So check out that area - lots of affordable houses with decent schools.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB23 View Post
First of all, Clark County is one big school district. It took some adjusting for me, too.

Second, the NW (Centennial Hills, esp. the northern part) have some great public schools. He's in 8th, so you're looking for 1 year at a middle, and the rest at a high school - generally, you're talking Centennial or Arbor View for that area. Centennial is better than Arbor View, but Arbor View isn't "bad".

So check out that area - lots of affordable houses with decent schools.

Thanks for the help. My husband will be working at the airport but not typical 8-5 hours...is Summerlin and other NW areas too far to commute?? We are alittle familar with the area because we have a boat that we have kept at Lake Mead for about 3 years. But the biggest priority is schools....your right...he will only be in middle school one year so we have been trying to concentrate on high schools.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0967 View Post
Thanks for the help. My husband will be working at the airport but not typical 8-5 hours...is Summerlin and other NW areas too far to commute?? We are alittle familar with the area because we have a boat that we have kept at Lake Mead for about 3 years. But the biggest priority is schools....your right...he will only be in middle school one year so we have been trying to concentrate on high schools.
No, I don't think Summerlin/NW is "too far" but that all depends on what you expect, I guess. My coworkers thought I lived "too far" (I worked at 215 & Russell) but my commute was 20-25 minutes, which was vastly improved from the 45 minute drive I had when I lived in Mississippi! Las Vegas isn't that big, geographically, compared to many other cities, and traffic, for the most part, is pretty easy. Even 'slow' traffic doesn't last too terribly long.

If it isn't in rush hour (or a bad accident), the airport is 30 minutes from my house, and I live about as Northwest as you can get (except for Kyle Canyon and Mt. Charleston ). During rush, I generally avoid I-15/I-95 and took 215 around instead (I hate sitting in stop & go, since I drive a stick shift). It was about 40-45 minutes.

It'd be hard to beat the deals found in the Centennial Hills area - and as I noted, the schools are as solid as they generally get in Clark County.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB23 View Post
No, I don't think Summerlin/NW is "too far" but that all depends on what you expect, I guess. My coworkers thought I lived "too far" (I worked at 215 & Russell) but my commute was 20-25 minutes, which was vastly improved from the 45 minute drive I had when I lived in Mississippi! Las Vegas isn't that big, geographically, compared to many other cities, and traffic, for the most part, is pretty easy. Even 'slow' traffic doesn't last too terribly long.

If it isn't in rush hour (or a bad accident), the airport is 30 minutes from my house, and I live about as Northwest as you can get (except for Kyle Canyon and Mt. Charleston ). During rush, I generally avoid I-15/I-95 and took 215 around instead (I hate sitting in stop & go, since I drive a stick shift). It was about 40-45 minutes.

It'd be hard to beat the deals found in the Centennial Hills area - and as I noted, the schools are as solid as they generally get in Clark County.
Thanks I look more into that area....I had noticed that you can get a nicer newer home the more northwest you go.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks I look more into that area....I had noticed that you can get a nicer newer home the more northwest you go.
Yep, you sure can! It's the same reason we zeroed in on it, especially after comparing similar homes in Summerlin and in Centennial Hills - it was always a better deal in Centennial.

I love my house a lot, and I love where I live(d). Very sad to be moving out of it, but whomever rents it will enjoy it, I'm sure.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:16 PM

174 posts, read 968,987 times
Parts of Summerlin are not that far from the airport. We live in the Trails and my wife commuted to the airport 5 days a week. During rush hour (anywhere between 3 & 6 PM) it would take 30 to 40 minutes. Since they finished the section of Summerlin parkway up here it took a little less. In off peak hours you could probably make the commute in 20 to 25 minutes.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,129,998 times
Quote:
Airport does not favor the NW. consider the south - southern highlands...or the Green Valley Ranch and uphill from there...Anthem, Seven Hills.

YOu can live with a NW or Summerlin commute but why bother. Same product and amenities available in the south or SE with 15 minutes less commute consistently.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:06 AM

182 posts, read 245,454 times
I have 2 nephews who are now attending College of Southern Nevada and UNLV and as far as schools, parenting has a big impact on a child's education. It does not really matter if your child attend a pvt school or public school, what matters the most is the guidance from the parent when it comes to education. My sister is very strict when it comes to the education of my nephews. Im proud of her because she is sending my nephews to college and university out of her own pocket. No loans/grants but from her hard work together with her husband.

Summerlin, the Lakes, Desert Shores, Pecolle Ranch and NW side of town are decent areas in Las Vegas. I reside in the area of the Lakes while one of my sister reside in the NW and the other in Spring Valley. The best part about Las Vegas is it is a compact small city. Everything is pretty much within a short drive to 1 hour drive. Very convenient city. Overall, the closer to Red Rock Canyon the better the neighbourhood so my vote will always be for the NW side of town and Southwest Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: