U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 PM

29 posts, read 89,500 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if any of you have Cox internet? If you do, do you pay for the wire-link plan for it? I just got my bill today and it has gone up again (it always goes up).. I have automatic payment so it's usually 57.98. I took that for granted and never really check my bills as I should. Well, Today for some reason I decided to really look at the bill and it was 61.98. I called Cox and finally asked why I was charged this new rate, the customer service person explained to me that it was for the wirelink plan. This plan is suppose to be insurance. In case my pet (I don't have any) chewed up my wire or something they can help walk me through fixing the problem. Oh and I've been paying for this ever since I started my internet plan with them which was in October 2008.

OMG!!!!!!! I am so angry at myself for not checking my bills. I just assumed that the wire link plan was for the renting the modem. I checked my bills before and this wire link plan started at 1.99, then 2.99, and now 4.99. I didn't realize that it was for some crazy charge that Cox just wants to charge their customer. The representative said that it was an additional charge and I didn't have to pay for it if I didn't want to!!!!

So mad at myself because I let this go on as long as it did. I asked her how come I was charge this rate because when I bought my house all I asked was for them to hook up internet at my house. I don't remember anyone telling about this charge and it is my fault for not catching it sooner, but lesson learned.

Well, I just want to let everyone know to be sure to check their bill. For Cox, for anything!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,968,043 times
Cox Communications announces price increases - Las Vegas Sun

Cox just raised their rates across the board. You pay for the premier rate which went up $2 dollars to $59.99. I have no idea what the wire-link plan is. Sounds like you were talking to a monkey in a suit.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 AM

9,488 posts, read 13,610,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Cox Communications announces price increases - Las Vegas Sun

Cox just raised their rates across the board. You pay for the premier rate which went up $2 dollars to $59.99. I have no idea what the wire-link plan is. Sounds like you were talking to a monkey in a suit.
No, the OP is talking about Cox's service "assurance" plan which went up to $4.99/month. It is sort of like insurance if anything were to go wrong with the wiring in the house. In that highly unlikely event, they'll come out to the house without charging for a service call. In other words, it's just an optional "junk fee" that gives Cox an additional profit margin.

It's delineated in the article that you linked to showing the old price, the increase, and the new price:

Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP)
Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP) Video $2.99 $2.00 $4.99
Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP) Internet (Wirelink) $2.99 $2.00 $4.99
Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP) Digital Phone $3.95 $1.04 $4.99

Old 04-03-2010, 05:40 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,968,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, the OP is talking about Cox's service "assurance" plan which went up to $4.99/month. It is sort of like insurance if anything were to go wrong with the wiring in the house. In that highly unlikely event, they'll come out to the house without charging for a service call. In other words, it's just an optional "junk fee" that gives Cox an additional profit margin.

It's delineated in the article that you linked to showing the old price, the increase, and the new price:

Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP)
Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP) Video $2.99 $2.00 $4.99
Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP) Internet (Wirelink) $2.99 $2.00 $4.99
Cox Service Assurance Plan (CSAP) Digital Phone $3.95 $1.04 $4.99
Ah! Okay. I guess I'm the monkey.

Truth be told, I have run into issues with all my connections in my house, especially those exposed to temperatures at the junction box. With our temperature differentials, the RG-6 connectors have a tendency to come just loose enough that it can affect signal quality. Cox actually contacted me when they noticed a poor signal to noise ratio on my line. They came out and re-terminated all my connectors free of charge. It's one of those things I check when I am doing my yard work every few months. I go into the box and make sure things are tight.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 PM

307 posts, read 1,161,169 times
I pay $57.98 a month for the internet. That was it. Yes it went up recently. It was $54.99.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:15 PM

88 posts, read 245,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confetti View Post
I don't remember anyone telling about this charge and it is my fault for not catching it sooner, but lesson learned.

Well, I just want to let everyone know to be sure to check their bill. For Cox, for anything!
They don't tell you about it, they just add it on to your bill because they are a bunch of scumbags. When you call to cancel they will usually tell you what a bad idea it is and that you will owe them hundreds of dollars if THEIR equipment breaks. I canceled it the first month. Good luck to them collecting anything from me if their crap equipment breaks down.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:59 AM

55 posts, read 80,737 times
Yes check your bills!
I too got an increase on my mom's bill(i pay it for her) for 5 dollars a month.
Before the bill arrived, I had the lowest cable speed for my mom's laptop.

I finally called COX up to see what was going on.
The weird CS guy who was a very loud breather and moaner said it was for "improved service" for Las Vegas.
I argued that Inever asked for it and absolutely did not want to pay the increase.
He basically said "too bad".

I threatened to cancel and I asked him a second time if theres a way he can wave the increase.
After a few words back and forth, he finally mentions , theres a lower tier speed available for 25 or so dollars a month.
Funny how he never mentioned it earlier.

COX/Cable companies are a sneaky bunch!
I hate them!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:47 AM

40 posts, read 102,402 times
Has anyone threaten to cancel service?
If so, what did they offer you to stay with their service? 1 month free, 2 months? reduced rates?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,792,333 times
^^Yes & I recommend it haha. They reduced ours by $11 p/month, my mother-in-law got hers reduced by $30 but she has more service than us.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM

391 posts, read 1,650,944 times
Good tips....I'm definitely going to check my bill and get that stupid insurance taken off.

Here's the thing: I'm paying $45 a month for the middle tier (whatever that is) that tops off at like 16.0meg/s. Overkill, IMO (most standard sites don't run anywhere near that fast).

Am thinking the low tier of 3.0meg/s (or is it 5-6?) will be more than sufficient. Thoughts? I'm worried it will be a little too slow and then I won't be grandfathered in (mid tier is currently like $55).

Sounds like the best bet might be to just cancel and see what they offer, and if nothing go with the low tier. Except they'll probably ding me with another hook-up fee which would wipe out my savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas