Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 PM

30 posts, read 131,657 times

Advertisements

[LEFT][LEFT]I am having a Property Tax trouble with the title company. [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Recently I bought a house and the closing date was in Jan, 2010. [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Based on my final closing statement and the email response from escrow officer, [/LEFT]
[LEFT]the 4th quarter, 2009 property tax should have been paid by my side on the close of escrow and it was scheduled to be sent out by title on March 9th. [/LEFT]
[LEFT]However, since I just received the property tax overdue and penalty notice from County, I called and emailed them for requesting resolve this problem immediately. But I didn't hear anything from them for couple of days.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]So, I am not sure what should I do next, -or- may be I should just file a complaint against title company? Then where I should file my compliant for this ? Any suggestion or advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advanced.

[/LEFT][/LEFT]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji3 View Post
I am having a Property Tax trouble with the title company.
Recently I bought a house and the closing date was in Jan, 2010.
Based on my final closing statement and the email response from escrow officer,
the 4th quarter, 2009 property tax should have been paid by my side on the close of escrow and it was scheduled to be sent out by title on March 9th.
However, since I just received the property tax overdue and penalty notice from County, I called and emailed them for requesting resolve this problem immediately. But I didn't hear anything from them for couple of days.
So, I am not sure what should I do next, -or- may be I should just file a complaint against title company? Then where I should file my compliant for this ? Any suggestion or advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advanced.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Something is wrong or misunderstood. It would be very unusual for an escrow company to pay anything after the escrow is closed. If there is a needed payment of 4Q taxes they would normally pay it before escrow closes.

Check your closing statement and see if there is a payment from you for 4Q taxes. Betcha not.

If not there you owe it and should pay it. Probably the best thing to do even if the escrow company owes it. Get it paid then collect from whoever,

Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks olecapt for your quick response and suggestion.
You are right, something must be wrong or misunderstood for this.
So,I just double checked with my loan officer and we both reviewed the final closing statement. It is very clear that I have paid the 4th quater Property Tax at closing and title was suppose to send it out.

Here is what my loan officer replied me in email about this.
================================================== ===============
Yeah you are right you paid it and title was suppose to send it out, line 107 on page 1

Also, right after the closing, I did check with Escrow officer about my payment for 4th quater property tax,here is what she responsed me in email.

=============feedback from Escrow officer==============
Please check you closing statement - your 4th qtr taxes should have been collected.
We send one electronic credit to the County all at once for all taxes paid for 4th quarter. The payment is due the 1st Monday in March (March 1st) and has a 10 day grace period - the payment will be sent on March 9th.
================================================== =======

So, it looks to me that title was supposed to use my money they have charged at closing to pay county but for some reason they missed it.

The problem is after I received the notice from county, I asked them to check and do a follow up on this, they didn't reply me at all.
I got so pissed off on this. I don't know what should I do next or may be just file a complaint against this title company.
Any suggestion or advice will be highly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks olecapt for your quick response and suggestion.
You are right, something must be wrong or misunderstood for this.
So,I just double checked with my loan officer and we both reviewed the final closing statement. It is very clear that I have paid the 4th quater Property Tax at closing and title was suppose to send it out.

Here is what my loan officer replied me in email about this.
Yeah you are right you paid it and title was suppose to send it out, line 107 on page 1

Also, right after the closing, I did check with Escrow officer about my payment for 4th quater property tax,here is what she responsed me in email.

=============feedback from Escrow officer==============
Please check you closing statement - your 4th qtr taxes should have been collected.
We send one electronic credit to the County all at once for all taxes paid for 4th quarter. The payment is due the 1st Monday in March (March 1st) and has a 10 day grace period - the payment will be sent on March 9th.
================================================== =======

So, it looks to me that title was supposed to use my money they have charged at closing to pay county but for some reason they missed it.

The problem is after I received the notice from county, I asked them to check and do a follow up on this, they didn't reply me at all.
I got so pissed off on this. I don't know what should I do next or may be just file a complaint against this title company.
Any suggestion or advice will be highly appreciated.
Get hold of the escrow officer for your sale. The escrow officer should immediately fix it. In general I would expect them to pick up any penalty. If the escrow officer does not respond get hold of the branch manager or, failing that, the VP for escrow who will generally be a Las Vegas office.

If you can't get anybody on the phone show up at their office.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM

[SIZE=3]Thanks again olecapt for your suggestion.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It seems the escrow officer is no longer taking care of my case from the Out-of-office email I received right after I sent her email 2 days ago. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, I sent email to the person who she mentioned in her Out-Of-Office Message and her assistant as well. But no response so far from them. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Anyway, as your suggestion, I will try to get hold on the branch manager or VP for escrow who will be in Vegas office. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It’s so stress to do all this extras…..Hopefully can get hold any of them to get this fixed ASAP.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In worst case, if all failed, where is the place I can file a complaint so that can give them a big push? [/SIZE]

Old 04-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
[SIZE=3]Thanks again olecapt for your suggestion.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It seems the escrow officer is no longer taking care of my case from the Out-of-office email I received right after I sent her email 2 days ago. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, I sent email to the person who she mentioned in her Out-Of-Office Message and her assistant as well. But no response so far from them. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Anyway, as your suggestion, I will try to get hold on the branch manager or VP for escrow who will be in Vegas office. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It’s so stress to do all this extras…..Hopefully can get hold any of them to get this fixed ASAP.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In worst case, if all failed, where is the place I can file a complaint so that can give them a big push? [/SIZE]
YOu can make a complaint at...

Business & Industry

Note that will likely take some months and is unlikely to do anything to fix your immediate problem.

You can also pay the tax and then sue the escrow company in small claims court.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 PM

Thank you so much for your help and advice-all very useful!!

I am not sure who the branch manager is. However, just found the contact information for the VP (President Nevada Operations) from the title company website (it is Chicago Title ).
So, I will make a call to the person whom I sent email to 2 days ago.
If doesn't work, I will just write VP an email to ask his help for fixing the Property Tax issue for me.
If all failed, it seems to file a complaint won’t help much to fix my problem right away.
The last straw will probably just like your suggestion; I will pay the Property Tax first and then sue the escrow company in small claims court.
Does that make sense?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help and advice-all very useful!!

I am not sure who the branch manager is. However, just found the contact information for the VP (President Nevada Operations) from the title company website (it is Chicago Title ).
So, I will make a call to the person whom I sent email to 2 days ago.
If doesn't work, I will just write VP an email to ask his help for fixing the Property Tax issue for me.
If all failed, it seems to file a complaint won’t help much to fix my problem right away.
The last straw will probably just like your suggestion; I will pay the Property Tax first and then sue the escrow company in small claims court.
Does that make sense?
Once more though. Go to the Chicago Title office with your escrow. Tell the receptionist you have a problem. Show her your escrow package...then sit there until they have someone to deal with it.

Squeaky wheels get oiled. Particularly the one in the lobby.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks again olecapt for your quick response.
I really want to just quickly stop by their office with my escrow and believe this can make my problem resolve much faster.
However, I am not living in Vegas right now and the LV property I bought is my future 2nd home(may be rental for a while)
So, that’s why it make things harder to deal with and only email or phone call work for me now.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Information needed:how the Property Tax payment works for Nevada

This thread was originally posted for seeking advice on how to file a complaint against title company for property tax trouble with them.
Now, after had a phone call with both title company, I really would like to figure out how the Property Tax payment works for Nevada-need to change the title for the original thread.
Per Title Company, they had an error-the error is the Property tax have been charged at closing is NOT 4th quarter Property Tax!!!
In my final closing statement-line 107, it states like below:
County Taxes 01/07/10-04/01/10 Amount: $600
Then, I was told by escrow manager in the phone that it’s the 3rd quarter property tax.
The seller (refer to Bank in REO case) paid for above (County Taxes 01/07/10-04/01/10) in advanced on Dec 31, 2009. The Title just paid to Seller by using what I have paid ($600) at closing.

For 4th quarter property tax, the due date is March 1st and it’s for 04/01/10-06/30/10.
Since I didn’t pay for the 4th one and even not knowing about it at all,
I just received the county notice with penalty.
Does above make a good sense?Should I also suppose to pay the 3rd quarter one when the closing date was at middle of Jan?

I am not sure how the payment system is for Nevada property tax and just really feel confused about it.
Any information sharing or feedback on this will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advanced and special thanks for Olecapt’s help so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: